Papua New Guinea: The muscle of Shell will dramatically enhance the project's chances of getting across the economic and financial line.
Australian Financial Review, Friday April 23 By Ian Howarth Woodside, controlled by Shell, joins Oil Search in Papua New Guinea pipeline.
Woodside Petroleum has confirmed it will join Oil Search Ltd in the Papua New Guinea to Queensland gas pipeline by taking a $118 million placement of shares at $2.10 each, a substantial premium to yesterday"s closing price of $1.92.
Woodside will emerge with 12 per cent of Oil Search in what marks the company"s first major corporate move to expand away from its heavy reliance on Australia"s North West Shelf.
The placement will also entitle Woodside to a seat on the Oil Search board, although the deal remains subject to Oil Search shareholder and Bank of PNG approval.
That approval appears to be a formality as the deal is believed to have received the strong backing of PNG Mines and Energy Minister and former prime minister, Sir Rabbie Namaliu.
Woodside"s managing director, Mr John Akehurst, said: "We are delighted that an agreement has been reached."
The two companies looked forward to working closely together, Mr Akehurst said in a statement.
Oil Search managing director Mr Peter Botten yesterday welcomed the Woodside investment in Oil Search.
He said the Woodside investment was a ringing endorsement of the project.
"We think that the fact the deal puts a substantial amount of money into the company and provides a strong technical back-up to our strengths is a strong endorsement of the project."
Mr Botten also noted that the deal must now silence any remaining sceptics about Oil Search having the financial and technical capacity to participate fully in the gas pipeline project.
The Woodside deal has significantly enhanced the prospects of the gas pipeline project now proceeding.
If the PNG to Queensland gas pipeline can find enough customers to get over the line, Australia"s gas industry will be revolutionised.
The addition of Woodside and, by extension the international muscle of the Royal Dutch Shell group, into the joint venture will dramatically enhance the project"s chances of getting across the economic and financial line.
Woodside"s move towards 12 per cent of Oil Search is widely seen as the beginning of steps to take a much larger position, but Mr Botten was coy on any extension of Woodside"s interest.
He likened Oil Search"s position to Woodside"s relationship with Shell.
Shell owns 34 per cent of Woodside, but Woodside stands as a fiercely independent company while still benefiting from the technical and financial strengths of the larger group.
Sir Rabbie Namaliu said this week the only way Oil Search could be taken over would be in a friendly merger deal.
The PNG Gas pipeline project was originally conceived and developed by Chevron and its partners, Mitsubishi, Mobil Exploration and Producing Australia, Oil Search, Orogen Minerals and Petroleum Resources Kutubu Pty Ltd.
AGL Ltd has been selected to lead the gas marketing operations of the project which have now entered a critical phase as the project tries to secure sufficient customers to make the project viable.
A joint venture of AGL and Petronas was chosen last year to build, own and operate the Australian portion of the pipeline.
Last week Oil Search signed an agreement with Esso in which Esso"s share of gas from the Hides field would be made available to the PNG gas project, should appropriate commercial terms for gas contracts be agreed.
Now Santos has also fallen in with the project, ensuring plentiful gas reserves to satisfy the largest likely gas contract.
The deal ensured that gas from the two largest fields in PNG was now available.
The managing director of Oil Search, Mr Peter Botten, said the addition of gas reserves from Hides was sufficient to sustain the project for at least 30 years.
"This project is highly complex, involving two countries, various states and provinces and a diverse group of stakeholders.
"Resolution of the reserve issue and the ability to now finalise market and customer arrangements represents a major step for us all."
afr.com.au _________________________________________
Strategy in two parts to shift focus Australian Financial Review, Friday April 23 Comment by Ian Howarth
Woodside has dealt itself into the Papua New Guinea to Queensland natural gas pipeline and cemented itself a place in the east Australian gas industry.
Woodside"s move to expand into the eastern seaboard gas market is the result of a two-pronged strategy the company has developed to expand its business away from the North West Shelf and other operations in that region.
The next likely step is a direct acquisition of an interest in PNG"s Kutubu project, which lies at the core of the pipeline project.
BHP holds a 9 per cent stake in the Kutubu field and, according to BHP Petroleum"s chief executive this week, it"s for sale to anyone who meets BHP"s price expectation.
In the past week the future of the PNG to Queensland gas project took a major step forward when more gas reserves from the Hides field were committed to underpin the project.
First Exxon assigned its gas reserves to Oil Search, then Santos offered its support as well.
But it is Santos which can feel the boa slowly tightening around its corporate neck as Woodside and others begin to make inroads onto its traditional gas patch.
After years of strangling high-priced gas deals out of east coast gas users, Santos is now feeling the pinch of competition for the first time.
Gas prices will inevitably fall as PNG gas comes into Queensland and moves further south ~ and when Duke Energy completes its gas pipeline from Bass Strait to Sydney in time for next year"s Olympics, Santos" Ross Adler will have to have put a whole new gas marketing strategy in place.
For years Santos, aided and abetted by the South Australian Government, simply bought out its opposition, but now it is forced to make different moves.
First Santos bought 25 per cent of Hides, then took an interest in the Kipper gas field in Bass Strait.
Woodside, however, appears to have outmanoeuvred Santos this time by joining up with Oil Search.
afr.com.au ________________________________________
PNG pipeline project: Woodside pumps $118m into Oil Search The Age, Friday April 23 By BARRY FitzGERALD
Woodside Petroleum has accelerated its diversification away from the North-West Shelf gas project by pumping $118 million into Oil Search in return for a 12 per cent stake in the group, a key partner in the planned $US3.5 billion ($A5.4 billion) Papua New Guinea-Queensland gas project.
The move follows weeks of speculation that Woodside was poised to make a $1 billion-plus bid for Oil Search.
But that speculation ignored the political sensitivities of the PNG-incorporated Oil Search falling to a foreign raider and the financial risk in bidding ahead of a development commitment being made to the PNG-Queensland project, one that will link big gas fields in the PNG highlands to customers in Queensland via a 2500-kilometre pipeline.
Woodside has taken up 56.4 million Oil Search shares (12 per cent) at a price of $2.10 each - a premium of 18 cents, or 9.3 per cent, to yesterday's closing price for Oil Search of $1.92. When added to on-market purchases that it is yet to confirm, Woodside's stake in Oil Search is believed to be closer to 15 per cent, making it the biggest shareholder in the PNG oil and gas producer.
Woodside, controlled by Shell Australia, has the stated goal to build a new core business in Australia and to supply gas to eastern states markets.
While it has been stalking Oil Search, Woodside has also been planning its entry into the Bass Strait gas fields, at present monopolised by the Esso/BHP joint venture.
It recently reached agreement to acquire 20 per cent of the big but undeveloped Kipper gas field in Bass Strait. Shell also has 20 per cent and has said it wants the Woodside/Shell alliance to replace Esso as operator of a likely $500 million development of the field.
Analysts said yesterday that a key motivation of Woodside's move on Oil Search was a need by the group to secure additional earnings growth beyond those to come with first production later this year from the $1.3 billion Laminaria oil development on the North-West Shelf.
The pressure on Woodside to secure a new earnings stream has been increased by slower-than-expected growth of liquefied natural production from its one-sixth owned North-West Shelf project.
Japanese buyers of the LNG have yet to commit to the additional tonnages needed to underpin a planned $6 billion doubling in LNG capacity, with the Asian economic demand checking LNG consumption growth rates.
Oil Search said funds raised would be used to reduce debt and to fund its ''expanding role in the development of the PNG-Queensland gas project''.
That project gained fresh momentum recently with the deal to include Exxon's share of gas from the Hides gas field in the project's resource base, allowing the Chevron-led joint venture to now convert letters of intent to buy from Queensland customers into sales contracts.
The clincher for the PNG-Queensland pipeline will be a deal to supply a new alumina refinery at Gladstone proposed by Comalco. But despite $200 million in financial inducements from the State and Federal Governments, the Rio Tinto-controlled aluminium group has yet to commit to the refinery.
theage.com.au |