The PNG pipeline project: Plenty of customers lining up
Exxon move puts the pressure on Comalco Australian Financial Review, Thursday April 15 Comment, By Ian Howarth, Resources Editor
The $5 billion Papua New Guinea to Queensland gas pipeline project has overcome one of its biggest hurdles by securing sufficient gas reserves to underpin any long-term gas contract likely to be available in the Queensland market.
The agreement by Exxon to commit a large part of the gas reserves of the Hides field in PNG to the project has now tipped the scales firmly in favour of the project proceeding.
At the same time the pressure has increased on Comalco to declare its hand on its plans for an alumina refinery in Queensland.
Comalco can no longer stall by playing the Queensland gas promoters off against Malaysia where the company may or may not be able to secure a more friendly fiscal arrangement for its refinery.
The PNG to Queensland gas pipeline project has almost gathered sufficient momentum to proceed regardless of Comalco's intentions, leaving Comalco now as the most likely loser should it choose not to build its refinery in Queensland.
Chevron Corp, as the principal promoter of the project, and its partners, Oil Search, AGL and Orogen Minerals are now able to offer firm deals to prospective gas buyers on the basis of becoming "foundation" customers of the project.
Foundation customer status will carry with it special privileges in terms of contract flexibility, gas price, and importantly, priority of supply in a competitive market.
Chevron was at pains yesterday to note that while the project could proceed without Comalco, it would prefer to have Comalco on side.
But there are plenty of other customers lining up.
To fly, the PNG to Queensland gas pipeline project needs initial customers for about 120 to 140 petajoules of gas a year. Comalco is likely to require about 27 Pj a year.
But Chevron has signed memoranda of understanding with Stanwell and NRG, both large-scale Queensland power generators keen to use gas.
It also has completed advanced negotiations with Queensland Alumina Ltd, nickel producer QNI Ltd, Ergon and Energex, both power generators operating in the State's south-east. Chevron could have asked those companies to sign MOU's but preferred to wait until the gas reserves issue was clarified.
afr.com.au __________________________________________
No time left for gas pipe dreams, says Government Australian Financial Review, Thursday April 15 By Garry West
The participants in the $5.5 billion project to transport gas from Papua New Guinea to Australia yesterday turned up the heat on potential customers to sign contracts as they prepared to renew their marketing effort over the next few months.
PNG Gas Project operator Chevron Corp and the Queensland Government singled out Comalco Ltd for special attention over its ongoing deliberations on whether to locate a proposed $1.2 billion alumina refinery in Gladstone or Malaysia.
Deputy Premier Mr Jim Elder said time was running out for Comalco to make a decision, while Chevron claimed the project could go ahead without the refinery.
"There's no longer any rocks for customers to hide behind," project director Dr John Powell told a news conference.
He was speaking after Oil Search Ltd, a 27.5 per cent shareholder in the giant Hides gas field, announced it had signed an agreement with field operator Exxon Corp to ensure adequate reserves were available to underpin the project, which includes a $1.5 billion pipeline to Queensland.
It will be based on gas from Hides and the nearby Kutubu field operated by Chevron.
As revealed by The Australian Financial Review last week, Oil Search will also represent Exxon's share of the project in marketing the gas following the breakdown of talks between Exxon and project operator Chevron Corp over how the fields could be combined.
It will be joined by Australian Gas Light Company Ltd, which has already won the right to build, own and operate the Australian side of the 2,655 kilometre pipeline along with Malaysia's Petronas group.
"We have talked about a time frame of two to three months to have these major foundation customers in place. If that were to happen we would deliver first gas in the first half of 2002," said AGL's group general manager sales and marketing, Mr Michael Fraser.
Mr Elder said Comalco had been exploring the possibility of a new refinery in Australia for more than 20 years but time was running out to proceed and take advantage of $150 million of government funding.
Dr Powell said the project could proceed without Comalco because there was sufficient demand from other users to make it viable.
They included power stations in Townsville and Gladstone, other mineral processors in central Queensland and possibly the Northern Territory, and customers in Brisbane.
"We want them [Comalco] there but the [demand] base is sufficient that if they decide to go somewhere else we can do it without them."
Dr Powell said more than 4 trillion cubic feet of reserves were available from Kutubu and a substantial part of Hides to support 30-year contracts with foundation customers using more than 110 petajoules of gas a year. He hoped a bankable agreement would be in place by mid-year.
Oil Search managing director Mr Peter Botten said discussions were continuing with Santos Ltd, which owns the remaining 25 per cent of Hides not covered by the agreement, about including its share of the gas.
He denied Exxon was withdrawing from the project but said his company moved in after Exxon had failed to reach agreement with Chevron on the issue of unitisation, or how to value each partner's share of the combined field, in four months of negotiations.
afr.com.au |