SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Impeach George W. Bush

 Public ReplyPrvt ReplyMark as Last ReadFilePrevious 10Next 10PreviousNext  
To: laura_bush who wrote (23911)12/16/2003 9:42:19 PM
From: Skywatcher  Read Replies (2) of 93284
 
Gee...no wonder Bushkee said Halliburton will pay up for overcharging....they just got ANOTHER $222 MILLION
in NO BID CONTRACTS.....
CROOKS
Halliburton Gets More Business in Iraq
By Reuters

Tuesday 16 December 2003

(Reuters) - The U.S. military said on Monday Vice President Dick Cheney's former company
Halliburton was allocated $222 million more last week for work in Iraq, at the same time as a Pentagon
audit found the firm may have overbilled for some services there.

Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root has now clocked up $2.26 billion under its March
no-bid contract with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to rebuild Iraq's oil sector.

Army Corps of Engineers spokesman Bob Faletti said a new task order was made for KBR last
week worth up to $222 million for the "restoration of essential infrastructure."

Faletti said this work order would be paid for by money from the Development Fund for Iraq and not
from $18.6 billion in new funds to rebuild Iraq appropriated by Congress.

He said Congress had specified new funding for Iraq should not be used for contracts that were not
competitively bid, such as the deal with KBR.

"To make sure that we avoided any perception of wrongdoing, we are not co-mingling appropriated
and non-appropriated funds (from Congress)," said Faletti.

Most of the funds paid to KBR to bring in fuel to Iraq, which despite being oil rich is suffering a
shortage, have come from the Development Fund, which includes oil revenues from Iraq.

Halliburton is in the process of answering questions raised by the Defense Contract Audit Agency
over its work in Iraq after a draft audit found a Kuwaiti subcontractor may have overcharged it as much
as $61 million for fuel.

Halliburton on Monday once again rejected charges of overbilling and said it welcomed any reviews
and audits of its dangerous work in Iraq.

Asked to provide details on the cost of getting fuel into Iraq from Kuwait, Halliburton spokeswoman
Wendy Hall said the average cost was $2.64 a gallon and that for every gallon delivered the company
made only a few cents.

"Not many people want to drive eight days, round trip in a war zone, with a truck full of flammable
materials. The subcontractor has had three drivers killed and 10 injured while performing this mission
and 60 vehicles damaged or destroyed," she said.

She said the Army Corps of Engineers had told KBR to find a company that met stringent
requirements to deliver fuel into Iraq. KBR sought and received bids from four suppliers and only one
subcontractor had met the Corps' specifications.

Hall said KBR had been negotiating pricing for fuel with the Kuwaiti sub-contractor but did not
provide details.

KBR's no-bid deal is set to be replaced with two competitively-bid contracts to rebuild Iraq's
shattered oil infrastructure. Those new contracts, worth up to $2 billion, are set to be awarded between
now and mid-January.
CC
Report TOU ViolationShare This Post
 Public ReplyPrvt ReplyMark as Last ReadFilePrevious 10Next 10PreviousNext