SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Stockman Scott's Political Debate Porch

 Public ReplyPrvt ReplyMark as Last ReadFilePrevious 10Next 10PreviousNext  
To: lurqer who wrote (38548)2/27/2004 4:39:16 PM
From: lurqer  Read Replies (1) of 89467
 
Other than the death that started it, it's been fun to watch this story develop.

Moscow warns of diplomatic row with Qatar

Moscow is demanding that Qatar frees two Russian security service agents arrested on charges of murdering a Chechen separatist leader in a car bomb explosion.

Foreign Minister Alexander Saltanov said on Friday that the incident risks hurting relations between the two countries.

"Our main objective today is to obtain the freedom of our embassy staff and their return home," Deputy Foreign Minister Alexander Saltanov told a press conference on Friday.

"It's in the interests not only of the two men, but of Qatar and Russia and their bilateral relations," he added.

Qatar's interior ministry announced on Thursday that two men had been charged with assassinating former Chechen president Zelimkhan Yandarbiyev.

A third Russian security agent was arrested and subsequently freed, according to Moscow.

The Russian foreign ministry on Friday summoned Qatar's ambassador to Moscow to hear Russia's protests about the arrests for the second time in two days.

Angry response

Russia's acting foreign minister Igor Ivanov angrily denounced the security agents' arrest on Thursday, complaining that they had been detained by force without informing the Russian
embassy in Qatar.

Russia has flatly denied the accusations against the detained men and insisted that it was not involved in the Chechen rebel figure's assassination.

The two men have been held "for nine days," according to Saltanov, who said he was "worried for their health and their lives."

Saltanov said that the two secret agents had been posted to the Russian embassy in Qatar to help in the "fight against terrorism," in particular terrorist financing.

The 51-year-old Yandarbiyev, who had lived in Qatar "temporarily" for nearly three years with his family despite a Russian extradition request.

Although never formally accused, Russia's SVR foreign intelligence service has said it had nothing to do with the death of Yandarbiyev, who was killed when his car blew up on 13 February.

Yandarbiyev briefly headed Russia's war-torn separatist republic of Chechnya in the mid 1990s.

english.aljazeera.net

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Qatar's Emir doesn't have the best credentials with the more extreme Islamists. He may just view this as an opportunity.

JMO

lurqer
Report TOU ViolationShare This Post
 Public ReplyPrvt ReplyMark as Last ReadFilePrevious 10Next 10PreviousNext