SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Technology Stocks : How high will Microsoft fly?
MSFT 492.01+1.3%12:59 PM EST

 Public ReplyPrvt ReplyMark as Last ReadFilePrevious 10Next 10PreviousNext  
To: Markus who wrote (3528)10/20/1997 3:54:00 PM
From: vinod Khurana   of 74651
 
DOJ seeks Microsoft fine

Microsoft stands in contempt of 1995
consent decree, Justice's Reno says

October 20, 1997: 2:48 p.m. ET

Sun sues
Microsoft - Oct.
7, 1997

Microsoft to rev
up engine - Oct.
17, 1997

Browser bruisers
battle - Sept. 20,
1996

Department of
Justice

Microsoft

Netscape




NEW YORK (CNNfn) - The U.S. Justice
Department Monday asked a federal court to hold
Microsoft Corp. in contempt for alleged
anti-competitive behavior in the Internet browser
market.
In a surprise move, the agency's antitrust division
charged the nation's largest software company
violated a 1995 consent decree by trying to use its
leverage to require PC manufacturers to license and
distribute Microsoft's Internet browser, Internet
Explorer.
"Forcing PC manufacturers to take one Microsoft
product as a condition of buying a monopoly product
like Windows 95 is not only a violation of the court
order but it's plain wrong," said U.S. Attorney
General Janet Reno. (156K WAV) (156K AIFF)
At an afternoon press conference, Reno said the
government will ask a federal court to impose
penalties of as much as $1 million-per-day on the
software giant.
The 1995 consent decree was aimed at barring
Microsoft from imposing anti-competitive terms in its
contracts with computer equipment manufacturers
that preinstall Microsoft software.
The unexpected announcement from U.S. Justice
Department's antitrust division had an immediate
effect on trading in Microsoft's stock.
After gaining more than 3 points, the stock
(MSFT) was down 3-1/4 to 129 following the press
conference. Meanwhile, shares of competing
browser company, Netscape Communications Corp.
(NSCP), shot 6-7/16 points higher to 41-3/8.
"This action is unfortunate and misguided," said
Microsoft spokesman Mark Murray. "The facts will
show that Microsoft is in full compliance with the
consent decree."
In addition, the Justice Department will ask the
federal court to limit the authority of all
non-disclosure agreements that Microsoft requires of
its business partners, said Joel Klein, assistant
attorney general.
"Since we have no way of knowing whether these
agreements have deterred people from voluntarily
coming forward with information ... and we've heard
this might be the case ... we want to clear the air
once and for all," Klein told reporters. (269K WAV)
(269K AIFF)
The move is the latest in a series of clashes
between Microsoft and the Justice Department.
Microsoft was previously investigated for bundling
its online service with its operating system but the
probe was later dropped.
Mountain View, Calif.-based Netscape, which
makes the popular Navigator and Communicator
browsers, declined to immediately comment.
-- Robert Liu



U.S. Attorney
General Janet Reno



Asst. Attorney
General Joel Klein

home | digitaljam | contents | search | stock quotes | help

Copyright c 1997 Cable News Network, Inc.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Report TOU ViolationShare This Post
 Public ReplyPrvt ReplyMark as Last ReadFilePrevious 10Next 10PreviousNext