Long but good article.........released 11:30 P.M. friday
Mar 6, 1998 (LAND MOBILE RADIO NEWS, Vol. 52, No. 10) -- Nextel Communications Inc. [NXTL] was the bearer of bittersweet news Wednesday when it announced that despite nearly 1 million subscribers added during 1997, it was facing losses of $1.6 billion.
The consolidated net loss to shareholders for the fourth quarter was $841.5 million, or $3.18 per share, and $1.64 billion, or $6.59 per share, for the year. "Nextel's financial results for the fourth quarter include significant improvement in operating cash flow losses over the third quarter, despite the more than doubling in international operating losses generated from the buildout of international operations," said Steve Shindler, Nextel's chief financial officer.
Reported Loss May Not Be Sore Point Yet
However, not all those watching the wireless giant were fazed by the news. For some, the heavy loss was no surprise and not even seen as a bad omen. According to David Freedman, managing director for Bear Stearns, the announcement was the result of many things, some of which pointed to the fact that Nextel is coming out of its debt.
"We expected them to announce the loss. If you didn't know that, you didn't know what the company was doing," Freedman said. Nextel had paid off some of its debt earlier in the year and had to pay fees associated with that, as well as taxes, he explained, thereby incurring some of the loss.
On the bright side of the 1997 final results was the improvement in revenues, a 202 percent increase in fourth quarter radio service revenue compared to the 1996 fourth quarter. The company also announced ownership interests in Argentina and Mexico and an international investment in Peru.
As previously noted, the company added 970,400 subscribers for its combined wireless phone, specialized mobile radio (SMR), and paging offering across the United States, bringing the total number of subscribers to 1.27 million. This represents a 323 percent increase from the end of 1996, when it had a total of 300,300 subscribers.
Nextel's fourth quarter operating cash flow loss narrowed to slightly more than $112 million from nearly $119 million in the prior three-month period, which Shindler called a "significant improvement" in light of higher operating losses stemming from SMR buildouts going on in international markets. Nextel's revenues registered major growth last year, increasing some 122 percent to nearly $739 million, of which slightly more than $275.1 million was generated during the fourth quarter (up 187 percent from the 1996 period). Radio service accounted for the bulk of the company's revenues--more than $267.6 million for the quarter, and more than $712.2 million for all of 1997.
Bell Atlantic Tosses Its Hat Into The Ring
In addition to Nextel's reported loss, Bell Atlantic Mobile [BEL] (BAM) announced Monday that it is reducing its per-minute rates for digital wireless phone service in New York and New Jersey by 15 percent, that it is eliminating landline charges and peak/off-peak rate distinctions, and that it will allow subscribers to choose a reduced roaming rate plan. The reduction of its rates has been seen by many within the wireless industry as the first substantial challenge to Nextel's broad service offering and footprint.
Of particular note is BAM's decision to begin offering unlimited mobile-to-mobile calls targeted at businesses for just $10-per-month. However, some analysts have said that Bell Atlantic's aggressive offering will have little effect on Nextel's subscriber numbers: Nextel provides a "talk-group" service that allows users from the same network to be connected at the same time, while Bell Atlantic's service is just for mobile-to-mobile connections.
Wall Street May Be Patient
"There is clearly an appetite on the part of Wall Street to continue to finance Nextel. As long as that continues, I think Nextel will achieve buildout within the prescribed time frames," said Harry Blount an analyst for CIBC Oppenheimer Inc. "I think that they have a stable financing position now. The real key is, will the credit market continue to hold up for the next couple of years to continue to provide them with cheaper and cheaper access to capital as the business plan develops."
However, Blount noted that even if the financing window for Nextel closes, it will have a balance sheet and a growth model that allows it to support the existing debt and continue on. The main challenge for Nextel if that happens, he continued, is not to become so heavily leveraged that the stock price drops substantially, as in the case of Arch Communications Inc. "I don't see Nextel that leveraged at this point. I still think they have a fair amount of room to increase their leverage before they really hurt their stock price," Blount said.
While Nextel's stock has dipped slightly since the announcement, Freedman said that was primarily due to a scare sparked by an article in the Wall Street Journal referring to BAM's price slashing. But Freedman was quick to point out that the other carrier doesn't "fully match" Nextel's offering.
Despite Nextel's impressive subscriber net adds during 1997, the company's activities need to be held in perspective, said Eric Weinstein, an analyst with Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette. For all intents and purposes, Nextel is a "large start-up company," and registering costs "in the start-up phase," he said. The good news is that the company is expecting to break even on its domestic operating cash flow, earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA), by the third quarter of 1998, Weinstein said. Nextel hopes its international operating cash flow will break even by the fourth quarter of this year.
Nextel Taking iDEN Abroad
Nextel was almost as busy abroad as it was at home, Weinstein said. "The most compelling part of the story is that [the service] works well in the U.S., and it works pretty well [abroad] too," he said. "[Nextel's] international portfolio is quite large. It went from having 120 million pops to 150 million pops...That is the part of the story people are not focusing on."
The company also announced a new international investment in Peru. Subsidiary Nextel International Inc. has purchased a 70 percent interest in Peru's Valorcom SA, which delivers analog SMR services in the greater Lima area and holds licenses covering approximately 138 channels, for $27.9 million; plans are to upgrade its system to digital next year. Through a series of other Latin American transactions undertaken recently, Nextel International has acquired all of the equity in SMR operators Mobilcom SA de CV of Mexico and Nextel Argentina for a total of $178.2 million.
On a related note, Nextel Argentina paid out $12 million to acquire an additional 60 SMR channels in Buenos Aires made available through a government auction, giving the subsidiary 12 MHz of spectrum in the nation's largest market. In addition, Nextel's 77 percent-owned Brazilian subsidiary has executed an agreement with Telebras SA [TBR] for the provision of interconnection services in Sao Paulo; the Nextel subsidiary plans to launch digital SMR service during the first half of this year. Other digital SMR networks are under development in Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires and Mexico City, Nextel said.
In terms of proportionate ownership interests, Nextel's international licensed coverage represents more than 400 million people. Its other interests outside the United States are located in Canada, the Philippines, and Shanghai, China.
-0-
Copyright Phillips Publishing, Inc. |