__________________________________________________________________________ =================== CYRIUSS' NOTES: MARCH 18TH, 1998 =================== ___________________________________________________________________________
"RE: Stockwatch points missles at Crystallex (KRY-T) Mr. Cyriuss, the report below was released by Canada Stockwatch last night, on KRY. I am a KRY shareholder and this report has confused me tremendously. They say the President of Venezuela's mining commission is accusing KRY of, "...promoting its stock based in part on a Venezuelan concession that he says the company does not own. The dispute is not over the Las Cristinas property, which is the company's chief asset."
But later in the article they write, "Mr. Acosta announced from Miami that he had scheduled a press conference for March 18 at 10:30 am EST to "discuss a congressional investigation, and allegations of false claims being made about mining rights to one of Latin America's largest gold mines, Las Cristinas."
HELP! ...Joe (Stockwatch link is canada-stockwatch.com)
"You don't have title, congressman says"
by Stockwatch Business Reporter
Crystallex International Corporation KRY Shares issued 34,000,000 Mar 17 close $7.15 Tue 17 Mar 98 Street Wire
The president of Venezuela's mining commission, Congressman Rafael Rodriguez Acosta, has accused Vancouver-based Crystallex International of promoting its stock based in part on a Venezuelan concession that he says the company does not own. The dispute is not over the Las Cristinas property, which is the company's chief asset.
Mr Acosta says the Carabobo concession, which Crystallex has not yet explored or worked, was declared "nulidad absoluta" (absolutely nullified) in an official gazette dated July 4, 1995. Nullification of title to the concession, which actually includes title to three other concessions -- Santa Elena 7 and 8, and San Miguel, which altogether are referred to by Mr Acosta as Carabobo -- was the result of a detailed investigation headed by the congressman and completed 10 months before the declaration was made. Mr Acosta outlined his charges in a letter to the outgoing Ontario Securities Commission chairman Jack Geller. In the letter, Mr Acosta says what was declared null and void was the "mining transfer between ACOMISUR Mining Association and Crystallex of Venezuela." Contacted in Toronto, Mr Geller told Stockwatch he received the letter late last week but that he still had not determined its contents because it was written in Spanish. Mr Geller added that even if he knew its contents, he would not be able to comment because the allegations would first need to be investigated.
The Venezuelan mining commission's report into the transfer itemized bribes and kickbacks between the parties, which apparently included the mining cooperative ACOMISUR, government officials, and people with ties to Crystallex. Dated September 14, 1994, the report was entitled "Special Commission to Investigate Allegations Made of Corruption and Other Irregularities in a Mining Copperative in the South of Bolivar State." On March 17, Mr Acosta announced from Miami that he had scheduled a press conference for March 18 at 10:30 am EST to "discuss a congressional investigation, and allegations of false claims being made about mining rights to one of Latin America's largest gold mines, Las Cristinas."
Crystallex is embroiled in a long-running court battle involving title to the Las Cristinas 4 and 6 concessions, also located in Venezuela. In this affair, Crystallex has claimed three successive Supreme Court victories over a six-year period, and believes it soon will emerge with clear title. Placer Dome, which has spent $110 million exploring and developing the properties since it was granted title to Las Cristinas in 1991, says what is before the courts are purely procedural matters that will not result in a change of title. Placer Dome, however, suspended its operations there in January, saying it wanted the matter resolved before it continues its work. In his letter to Mr Geller, Mr Acosta also took a swipe at Crystallex's Las Cristina's claims before the court. "I am informing you that the suit set by Crystallex of Venezuela on the supposed ownership of Cristinas 4 and 6 . . has as its main objective to speculate on the stock market and to deceive the present and future stock holders of Crystallex."
Earlier this month, New York short seller Manuel Asensio issued a strong short-sell recommendation, also alleges Crystallex is knowingly misleading investors. His comments sent the stock down $2.35 on March 5 to $6.90. It closed on March 17 down $0.60 at $7.15.
Mr Acosta's comments at the press conference in Miami are of great interest to the former shareholders of Eurus Resource, which was merged with Crystallex in September 1995. The former Murray Pezim company -- Mr Pezim had sold out, however, before the Crystallex amalgamation -- brought to the marriage the Albino concession (held 50-50 with Crystallex and also located in Venezuela), which now is being open-pit mined.
In return, Eurus shareholders got about one sixth of Crystallex. According to former Eurus director Jack Caplan, part of the reason they received so little in the deal was because the Crystallex's valuation included high values assigned to the Carabobo, St Elena and St Miguel concessions. Mr Caplan, a civil engineer, could not remember the precise vaulation figure, but said it was probably around what Crystallex itself paid for the concessions -- US$11 million.
In a statement by Crystallex on October 2, 1995, Eurus shares were exchanged for 1,583,333 shares of KRY and 1,583,333 warrants (at $3.15 to September 30, 1996) of KRY. On the deal's effective date, September 29, 1995, Crystallex closed at $2.65.
Mr Caplan said that during negotiations, he raised question about the concessions' titles but was told repeatedly that if there were problems with title, they were mere "technicalities" and of no bearing to Crystallex's bedrock contention that it held title. "They sloughed it off," he says. In fact, according to Mr Acosta, title had been stripped from Crystallex in July 1995 -- two months before the amalgamation.
Today, Mr Caplan believes Mr Acosta's version of events. "They're not Crystallex's," he says of the concession. "They're not registered in their name." As a result, he says, Eurus shareholders should have secured around half of Crystallex, instead of one sixth.
Mr Caplan said the valuation of the properties was performed by Maison Placements Canada of Toronto. It is not known what, if anything, the Maison representative had to say about the special mining commission's findings, or the alleged nullification of title that occurred two months before Eurus and Crystallex tied the knot.
The former Eurus director, who was appointed shortly after Mr Pezim left the company around early 1995, says a lawsuit may result if enough shareholders believe they were misled by Crystallex and Maison over the company's assets and valuation. "There would have been a tremendous reduction in the value of Crystallex shares if we can prove they never owned Carabobo," he says.
Mr Caplan adds that Crystallex can expect a lawsuit over the matter if there is compelling evidence the company did not have title to the properties when it merged with Eurus. He stresses, however, that shareholders are awaiting the outcome of the title struggle with Placer Dome before making a move. "We're waiting to see what happens with Placer Dome," Mr Caplan says. "If they're successful (meaning, if Crystallex wins title to Las Cristinas) we can get our money back. But I don't want them to be successful."
Stockwatch tried repeatedly to obtain comment from Crystallex officials, leaving messages with three senior figures in the company, including vice-president Richard Marshall and president Marc Oppenheimer. A receptionist in Mr Oppenheimer's New Jersey office asked a Stockwatch reporter if he had any information about what was going on because the office had received so many calls following Mr Acosta's media advisory. In its public information, Crystallex makes little or no references to a title problem regarding Carabobo, St Elena and St Miguel, although the latter property, St Miguel, does not appear in many recent publications. Its brochures refer to Carabobo and the St Elena as having "strong potential" and "excellent potential" respectively.
In its disclosure documents, Crystallex is quite a bit more forthcoming. In a disclosure to the SEC that was filed on SEDAR on May 28, 1997, the TSE- and AMEX-listed company stated "the status of the company's interests in the Santa Elena 7 and 8 concessions, the Carabobo concession, and the San Miguel concession is uncertain at the present time, pending the outcome of the company's application to the Supreme Court of Venezuela for an order affirming its right to such concessions."
(c) Copyright 1998 Canjex Publishing Ltd. canada-stockwatch.com ______________________________________________________________________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ =========================================================================== SERIOUS COPYWRITE(c)1996. CYRIUSS' NOTES, CYRIUSS FORUM, THE GUIDING LIGHT, FANATICS AND FRAUDS! ARE TRADEMARKS OF STELIAN Finanz PLC Geneva.
CYRIUSS' PUBLICATIONS -- BRINGING OPINIONATED COMMENTARIES, TO YOU. =========================================================================== |