SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Clinton's Scandals: Is this corruption the worst ever?

 Public ReplyPrvt ReplyMark as Last ReadFilePrevious 10Next 10PreviousNext  
To: DMaA who wrote (3314)8/27/1998 10:46:00 AM
From: John Hensley  Read Replies (3) of 13994
 
David-
Here's the story from the N.Y. Times. I agree that this is a very important story overlooked because of the Monica mess. BTW, I went to college with Scott Ritter and I would believe anything he says.

By JUDITH MILLER

he longest-serving U.S. weapons inspector in Iraq resigned Wednesday, charging that the U.N.
secretary-general, the Security Council and the Clinton administration had stymied the inspectors
on "the doorstep" of uncovering Iraq's hidden weapons programs.

The inspector, William S. Ritter Jr., said in his resignation letter that the failure to push aggressively
ahead with the inspections was ''a surrender to Iraqi leadership'' that made a ''farce'' of the
commission's efforts to prove that Iraq was concealing chemical, biological and nuclear weapons
programs.

Ritter, 37, asserted that the lack of will stemmed from a policy shift by the Security Council and the
Secretary General that was backed "at least implicitly by the United States." He asserted that between
last November and this August, the Administration had made at least seven efforts to delay or stop an
investigation or block a line of inquiry.

He made his resignation letter public in an effort to force the United States and the United Nations to
return to a tougher stance.

The Administration heatedly denied Ritter's conclusions, saying it had faithfully backed the inspections
in Iraq.

An Administration official insisted that the United States was ''keeping up the pressure on Iraq in ways
that really affect'' President Saddam Hussein. Within the last week, for instance, the United States and
its allies have quietly moved ships into waters near Iraq to keep him from smuggling out oil by sea.

A spokesman for the secretary-general, Kofi Annan, said he "does nothing at the behest of Iraq."
Richard Butler, chairman of the inspection team, declined to comment.

In an interview, Ritter asserted that the administration had been secretly trying since late last year to
find a diplomatic solution for its confrontation with Saddam and in doing so had abandoned a policy -- in
effect since the end of the Persian Gulf war in 1991 -- to use sanctions and the threat of military force
to compel the Iraqi leader's cooperation.

The administration has publicly backed the inspectors, who have insisted on full and unfettered access
to sites in Iraqi suspected of being used to conceal weapons or the expertise needed to make them.
Twice in the last year the United States has threatened military action against Iraq for obstructing the
inspections, and in February, U.S. warships were moved within striking distance.

But last week, U.S. officials acknowledged that the United States and Britain had privately urged
Butler to stop trying to hold surprise inspections of sites in Baghdad. The officials said they wanted to
avoid an open confrontation with Iraq after Hussein said he would no longer cooperate with the
inspections.

"The illusion of arms control is more dangerous than no arms control at all," Ritter wrote Wednesday.
"What is being propagated by the Security Council today is such an illusion, one which in all good faith I
cannot, and will not, be a party to."

Ritter, a former Marine intelligence officer, joined the commission in September 1991, soon after its
creation, and was assigned to help the inspectors ferret out whether Iraq was hiding information and
material relating to its programs to build weapons of mass destruction, and if so, how.

The Iraqis moved to block many of the inspections led by him and accused Ritter of being a U.S.
intelligence officer, a charge Washington emphatically denied.

Ritter said that the "beginning of a slow death" for the inspection team began in earnest last October
after Iraq blocked inspectors and provoked a crisis that led Clinton administration officials to predict
that military action would be necessary if Iraq did not back down.

Ritter said administration officials told the inspectors then that "there was not enough military power in
the region" to provoke a confrontation with Iraq, even though the inspectors had had considerable hard
evidence that the effort to hide information relating to Iraq's weapons programs was "run by the
presidency of Iraq and protected by the presidential security forces."

The administration repeated its assessment in late November, he said, warning the inspectors again not
to conduct more inspections aimed at revealing how Iraq was concealing the information -- what Ritter
called "concealment inspections."

In addition, Ritter said, administration officials told the inspectors that military action over the Christmas
holidays was "domestically unsustainable," which he took to mean that it would be politically unpopular.

Ritter declined to discuss which administration officials gave him and the other inspectors this advice.

Seeking to defuse the crisis in February, Annan and Saddam signed an agreement establishing new
rules for the inspections. Ritter said that while he and other inspection officials were deeply worried
about the agreement's impact, he decided not to resign, but rather to test Iraq's willingness to comply
with the agreement.

He was encouraged, he added, by the fact that the Security Council warned Iraq of "severest
consequences" if it blocked the inspectors -- language that suggested the United States might carry out
military strikes on Iraq if Baghdad reneged on its word.

Ritter, in fact, returned to lead a controversial inspection in early March.

But in April, he said, the Clinton administration informed Unscom that it would no longer support
intrusive inspections solely for the purpose of gaining access to sensitive sites, inspections that Ritter
characterized as crucial to the inspectors' mission.

In meetings at the State Department and the Pentagon, he said, he sensed a lack of support for what
he called "concealment inspections," and felt that such inspections were becoming in the
administration's view a "political liability" in the administration's view.

In August the inspectors received what Ritter called "two of the best pieces of intelligence information
we've had in a long time" about Iraqi weapons activities. Ritter declined to disclose the nature of the
information. But he said that he had advised Butler, the chairman of Unscom, that the time had come
to press aggressive inspections, and that Butler agreed.

Ritter refused to discuss the nature or target of the inspections that he claimed the Administration
helped to stop. But he said they were aimed at Hussein's principal secretary, Abed Hamid Mahmud,
who he said is responsible for orchestrating Iraq's effort to conceal information and material, and at the
Special Security Organization, which carries out Mahmud's orders.

Ritter said he had gone to London to ask the British Government to supply personnel and material for
the inspection. He said the British were enthusiastic about the inspection and agreed.

But later, after consultations with Washington, he added, Derek Plumbly, the director of the British
Foreign Office's Middle East command, said the British would not help. Ritter accused the
Administration of what he called a ''cowardly act,'' namely, putting pressure on the British not to
cooperate with the inspection.

Ritter would not identify the administration officials he says put pressure on London. On Wednesday
night, the administration heatedly denied that any such pressure had been exerted and repeated a denial
earlier this month that it had softened its policy.

The administration, said a spokesman for the National Security Council, "regrets Ritter's resignation
and has the highest regard for Ritter and his work." But the spokesman added, "Any suggestion that
senior administration officials had conversations with the Brits about canceling inspections is a total
fabrication."

Meanwhile, CBS News reported Wednesday night that Ritter is being investigated by the FBI for
reportedly sharing classified intelligence with Israel. Ritter, who is known as Scott, his middle name,
confirmed the existence of an investigation but said he had done nothing wrong and would be
exhonerated. reached for comment. An inspection official said, ''Scott Ritter is on very firm ground.''

Ritter had even harsher criticism of Annan. In his letter, he accused Annan of becoming "a sounding
board for Iraqi grievances, real or imagined."

Report TOU ViolationShare This Post
 Public ReplyPrvt ReplyMark as Last ReadFilePrevious 10Next 10PreviousNext