To: Patrice Gigahurtz who wrote (37365 ) 7/20/1999 8:03:00 AM From: long-gone Respond to of 116782
China forces on high alert - HK paper Updated 8:24 PM ET July 19, 1999 HONG KONG, July 20 (Reuters) - Chinese military units have been put on high alert after Taiwan President Lee Teng-hui abandoned a long-standing "one China" policy, a Beijing-backed Hong Kong newspaper said on Tuesday. The Wen Wei Po did not specify exactly when the units were put on high alert. The newspaper reported troop movements involving units from the Nanjing, Jinan and Guangdong military regions. It quoted witnesses as saying the military equipment carried by the troops indicated the move was more than a garrison relief. It also ran a photograph of Chinese soldiers carrying heavy equipment marching next to a column of armoured personnel carriers, but gave no details when the picture was taken. Relations between Beijing and Taipei deteriorated last week after Lee abandoned the "one China" policy which had helped underpin East Asian security for decades, and described relations between China and Taiwan as "state-to-state." China regards Taiwan as a rebel province and has pushed the for the island's diplomatic isolation since the communists won a civil war in 1949 and drove the Nationalists into exile. Chinese President Jiang Zemin, in a telephone call to his U.S. counterpart Bill Clinton on Sunday, said Beijing had not ruled out the use of force against Taiwan in the latest crisis.(cont)news.excite.com Stay out of row, Jiang warns US VIVIEN PIK-KWAN CHAN President Jiang Zemin has warned the US against intervention in the cross-strait crisis. During Sunday evening's call from President Bill Clinton, Mr Jiang said Beijing had not ruled out the use of force against Taipei in the crisis sparked by President Lee Teng-hui's remarks on seeking "state-to-state" relations with China. The United States sent two aircraft carriers into the Taiwan Strait in March 1996 when Beijing carried out missile exercises before Taiwan's presidential election. Mr Jiang warned that Mr Lee had taken a "very dangerous step toward splitting the country", stressing that Beijing was not committed to abandoning the use of force in seeking unification with Taiwan", Xinhua reported. (cont)scmp.com Commission finds U.S. ill-prepared for nonconventional warfare SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM Tuesday, July 20, 1999 WASHINGTON [MENL] -- A presidential commission is releasing a report asserting that United States is unprepared for a nonconventional weapons attack. The commission, headed by former CIA director John Deutsch, criticizes U.S. preparations for a biological, chemical and nuclear attack as insufficient. The report is to warn that Washington is likely to face an increasing danger from weapons of mass destruction by non-Western countries. Analysts agreed. "In the last three years, hatred in some quarters against the U.S. has increased," said . Robert W. Chandler, an author and expert on weapons of mass destruction. "At the same time, technology has advanced to the point that the WMD battle can be brought to our shores as well as on a foreign battlefield. The commission's bleak assessment is a correct one, and the (cont)worldtribune.com