SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Technology Stocks : Newbridge Networks -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Doug who wrote (14024)10/28/1999 6:48:00 AM
From: Glenn McDougall  Read Replies (3) | Respond to of 18016
 
Rumour mill grinds Newbridge stock

By KEVIN BELL, Money Editor, Ottawa Sun
NEWBRIDGE Networks investors were spooked yesterday by
rumours on Wall St. that the Kanata firm will miss profit projections
for the current quarter.

The rumours caused the stock price's month-long tailspin to pick up
speed, losing $1.55 or 5.3% yesterday to close at $27.45 on the
Toronto Stock Exchange. In the last month, the stock has plunged
from around $39 -- a loss of 30%.

The rumours, which quickly spread to Bay St. and Internet message
boards, shook jittery investors' faith in the company, which over the
last two years has developed a history of disappointing the market
with weak profits and repeated warnings about missed targets.

"There are still some fundamental risks about the company, so when
I hear rumours I tend to think they're true," said Paul Sagawa, an
analyst with Bernstein & Co.

According to the rumours, analyst Jim Kedersha of the New York
securities firm SG Cowen & Co. issued a report indicating
Newbridge may not hit its targets for this quarter, which ends
Friday. Kedersha did not return several phone calls.

Rob MacLellan, an analyst with CT Securities, said the buzz
confirmed his feeling that something may be amiss within
Newbridge. "We were telling people as early as Friday that this
quarter is far from in the bag," he said.

Analysts say the investing community is bracing for a possible
earnings warning, which could come next week, MacLellan said.
"This stock has for the most part been abandoned."

Since Kedersha is a well-respected analyst, the financial community
is paying strong attention to the reports, he said.

Newbridge's recent silence is also wearing investors down. "They
haven't said everything is okay. That's added to the nervousness."
Newbridge is in its quiet period that precedes the reporting of
financial results, which are expected Nov. 18.

The latest earnings worries are coming on top of doubts about
Newbridge's ability to compete against juggernauts like Cisco
Systems and Nortel Networks.

"But I think the clock is ticking on earnings now," said Patrick
Houghton, an analyst with Sutro & Co. "People will breathe a sigh of
relief if they get past Nov. 9 without pre-announcing."