SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Technology Stocks : Qualcomm Incorporated (QCOM) -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Poet who wrote (66093)2/5/2000 6:37:00 PM
From: Steve  Read Replies (2) | Respond to of 152472
 
Qualcomm faces $1 billion suit

By Tom Bemis, CBS MarketWatch
Last Update: 6:09 PM ET Feb 5, 2000
NewsWatch

SAN DIEGO (CBS.MW) -- Qualcomm faces an age discrimination
lawsuit by four employees who were laid off last year seeking as much
as $1 billion and punitive damages, according to a published report
Saturday.

The suit was filed this week in Los Angeles
Superior Court, according to a report in the San
Diego Union-Tribune.

The suit, which seeks certification as a class
action, claims the workers were fired because
they were over 40 and didn't meet the company's
"youthful mind-set and employee makeup," the
paper reported.

Shares of Qualcomm (QCOM: news, msgs) rose
more than 2,000 percent in 1999 creating
millions of dollars in paper profits for employees
of the wireless phone company with options to
buy stock.

A Qualcomm spokesperson told the paper the
company hadn't seen the suit, but said the
company believes the action is without merit.

The employees who filed suit were laid off in
February 1999.

Qualcomm stock fell 1 3/4 to close at 137 7/16
Friday in trading of 15 million shares.