SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Pastimes : The Justa & Lars Honors Bob Brinker Investment Club -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: rsie who wrote (13820)5/18/2000 11:12:00 AM
From: rsie  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 15132
 
No Blockade Threatening, Taiwan Says

NewsMax.com
Wednesday, May 17, 2000

Red China is not preparing to blockade Taiwan?s main seaport, the island?s defense ministry says.

Commenting on an Australian newspaper report that the mainland Chinese plan to launch a
blockade of the Kaohsiung seaport, defense ministry spokesman Major-General Kung Fan-ting told
Reuters new service: "Right now there is no information on this at all. We urge people not to listen
to rumors."

The port at Kaohsiung in southern Taiwan handles almost 70 percent of the island?s trade and is
the world?s third largest container port. According to Australia?s Sydney Morning Herald, Beijing
plans to use a blockade of the key port to force the Taiwanese government to open negotiations on
the island?s future status.

Quoting an unnamed source within an Australian intelligence service that shares information with
its counterpart in the United States, the Herald said the planned blockade would be aimed at
forcing Taiwan to open early talks on reunification with the mainland.

"It is understood the U.S. is taking the blockade preparations seriously as fears mount in Beijing
that Taiwan is drifting steadily towards independence despite mainland threats of war," the
newspaper reported, quoting a "senior Australian Government official" as saying, "The Americans
seem to think it is possible or even likely."

Beijing has been rattling sabers ever since the new Taiwanese president, Chen Shui-bian,
advocated independence for the island while still a candidate for the presidency. Beijing has made
it clear that it will not tolerate independence and insists that the "One China" policy is the only option
open to Taipei.

A Pentagon study on the military balance across the Taiwan Strait last year warned that despite
improvements in Taiwan's anti-submarine forces, China would "retain the capability to interdict
Taiwan's sea lanes of communications and blockade the island's principal maritime ports."

The paper says that U.S. intelligence analysts think the port on Taiwan's southwest coast, which
last year handled about 300 million tons of cargo carried by more than 18,000 ships, could be
relatively easily blockaded because there are only two narrow channels deep enough for ships to
enter and leave the harbor.

The United States, the Herald reports, believes that China's submarines could prevent cargo
ships from using these channels or even sink a ship in the main channel into Kaohsiung used by
the biggest vessels.

Noting that "it would be almost impossible for the U.S. and its allies, including Australia, to abandon
Taiwan to its fate if it came under mainland attack," the Herald suggested the possibility that
Beijing could launch a trade blockade without making an overt military threat to Taiwan.

"Intelligence sources say Beijing could attempt to justify a blockade on the grounds that almost
every major international government acknowledges its claim over Taiwan," the newspaper
explained.

But Taiwan, which also shares information with the United States, maintains that there is no
intelligence data that a blockade is in the works, for September or any other time.