SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Gold/Mining/Energy : Strictly: Drilling and oil-field services -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Archie Meeties who wrote (67571)6/4/2000 6:33:00 PM
From: LARRY LARSON  Respond to of 95453
 
Hi Kids-

Everything you want to know about Canadian oil/gas from Argus:

petroleumargus.com



To: Archie Meeties who wrote (67571)6/4/2000 6:41:00 PM
From: Aggie  Respond to of 95453
 
"Call me 'Lucky'"

It would appear that the R&B C.E. Thornton has parked illegally of the northern coast of S. America:

slb.com

The rig was in town here in Port of Spain a couple of weeks ago, and she's every bit as impressive as she was 8 years ago when I saw her off Gabon. There were delays in P.O.S. - something about an marine inspection / certification - so she was a bit late getting off. And now this. Gee whiz...

This update from our Dubai editors 15:34 GMT

Suriname Navy Forces Oil Rig Out of Disputed Water

By Ank Kuipers

PARAMARIBO, June 3 (Reuters)
- Suriname's navy forced a Canadian oil company to remove a rig on Saturday from an off-shore concession granted by Guyana as a simmering border dispute between the South American neighbours came close to a boil.


Printer-friendly version E-mail to colleagues


No shots were fired in the incident, which occurred after Suriname's air force spotted the platform preparing to drill for oil in what the former Dutch colony of 450,000 people considered to be its territorial waters.

"If I'm not mistaken, the platform has already left our territory within the time given by our navy," Army Chief Glenn Sedney told a news conference.

The platform was towed out of the disputed area in the Atlantic Ocean just off South America's northeastern shoulder after its personnel were told "in no uncertain terms that they should leave Surinamese territory within a certain time," he said.

Surinam had warned Guyana on Friday that it would take "appropriate measures" to stop what it considered to be an infringement of its territory.

"We are still in the area and we will stay there until we are certain that no activities will be carried out," Sedney said.

Guyana denied that the platform, which belongs to Canadian oil exploration company CGX Energy Inc (OYLu.V, was situated in Surinamese waters.

Guyanese Foreign Minister Clement Rohee said his government "deplores the position taken by the government of Surinam and is cognizant of the serious damage this position can inflict on the good neighbourly relations existing between the peoples of Guyana and Surinam."

SECOND BORDER DISPUTE FOR GUYANA

CGX officials confirmed that the platform, which had been towed to the site from nearby Trinidad and Tobago, had left the area, which is surrounded by other oil concessions operated by foreign companies.

CGX, which won its concession in 1998, declined to comment further.

It was the second time in just over a week that Guyana, a former British colony of 800,000 people, had been reproached by its neighbours for awarding concessions in disputed border areas.

Western neighbour Venezuela slammed Guyana last week for granting a concession for a commercial rocket launch site to a U.S. company in an area that Venezuela has long claimed.

Officials in Surinam said the territorial dispute dated back to colonial times and revolved around which side of the Corantine River that divides the two countries was taken as the official border.

The last serious border incident between the two countries occurred in 1969, when Guyanese troops evicted Surinamese soldiers from southeastern Guyana. Shots were fired but no one was killed.

The new border flare-up came just over a week after Surinamese voted in general elections in which President Jules Wijdenbosch's party won just three of the National Assembly's 51 seats. A meeting of the National Assembly to elect a new president has not yet been scheduled.