SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Pastimes : CENSORSHIP -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Mao II who wrote (39)11/26/2000 9:11:11 PM
From: Mao II  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 84
 
Protest by GOP called `fascism'

ANDRES VIGLUCCI
aviglucci@herald.com

Democratic Party leaders Saturday intensified their criticism of a rowdy
Republican demonstration at the Miami-Dade canvassing board last week,
accusing GOP leaders of deploying a mob to intimidate board members and
suggesting for the first time that their tactics smacked of ``fascism.''

At a news conference outside County Hall, Democratic Congressmen Alcee
Hastings of South Florida and Jerrold Nadler of New York contended that the
board's three members caved in to the protest when they abruptly rescinded a
decision to conduct a manual recount of disputed ballots in the presidential vote.

The decision may cost Vice President Al Gore scores of additional votes and
could end up assigning Florida's decisive 25 electors to Republican George W.
Bush.

Nadler read aloud from a report Friday by a conservative columnist in The Wall
Street Journal who wrote that a Republican congressman, John Sweeney from
New York, set off the protest with an order to shut down a hand count already
underway.

The Journal column, which ridiculed the recount, said protesters ``also let it be
known'' that 1,000 Cuban-American Republicans were being bused to County Hall
in an implicit threat to two of the board members, who are non-Hispanic elected
judges.

``Ladies and gentlemen, I have never called anything this before, but the whiff of
fascism is in the air,'' said Nadler. ``We have a Republican rent-a-gang led by a
Republican from New York who says, `Shut it down,' not by a writ, not by a legal
decision, but by intimidation. That is intolerable.''

The Journal column did not include a response from Sweeney. He could not be
reached for comment Saturday.

Neither Nadler nor Hastings was at the demonstration.

The protest came after county elections officials moved to a closed-off area on the
19th floor of County Hall to conduct the recount. Two dozen angry Republican
observers staged a sit-in, chanted and banged on doors and windows. Democrats
have said several people were punched, kicked or threatened during the protest.

The board decided to move back to a public conference room a floor below, but
then unanimously canceled the recount, calling the logistics unworkable.
Elections supervisor David Leahy has denied the protest influenced his vote. The
other two board members, County judges Myriam Lehr and Lawrence D. King,
have declined interview requests.

Nadler and Hastings said they are unconvinced by board members' public
rationale. ``It smells,'' Hastings said.

Republican leaders have insisted the demonstration was unplanned.

But the piece by Wall Street Journal columnist Paul A. Gigot, who was with the
Republican monitors when it erupted, suggests it was not entirely spontaneous.

In his Potomac Watch column Friday, Gigot wrote that the monitors grew
increasingly agitated as Gore's vote count grew under a liberal accounting of
dimpled ballots. He added: ``Street-smart New York Rep. John Sweeney, a
visiting GOP monitor, told an aide to `Shut it down,' and semi-spontaneous
combustion took over. . . They also let it be known that 1,000 local Cuban
Republicans were on the way -- not a happy prospect for Anglo judges who must
run for reelection.''

miamiherald.com



To: Mao II who wrote (39)11/27/2000 12:59:15 AM
From: bela_ghoulashi  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 84
 
This is a "thug"?

You're reaching.