To: Tomas who wrote (1248 ) 6/17/2001 11:57:22 PM From: Douglas V. Fant Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 1713 Tomas or Anyone, Be careful if you are traveling in or around the oil fields as the US moves toward involvement in the war.... News Article by Reuters posted on June 17, 2001 at 09:13:49: EST (-5 GMT) Sudan rebel chief says oil targets legitimate CAIRO, June 17 (Reuters) - The leader of Sudan's biggest rebel group said in comments published on Sunday that oil companies operating in Sudan were legitimate targets, calling them government "mercenaries" fuelling an 18-year-old civil war. "(Oil companies) threaten us with their oil exploration and by displacing more than 100,000 people... We will continue our resistance, and we still regard them (oil installations) as legitimate targets," John Garang told the London-based al-Hayat daily in an interview. "We consider them mercenaries working for the Islamist regime," said Garang, leader of the Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA). Human rights groups accuse international oil companies active in Sudan of helping the country's Islamist-led government commit violations against local people, such as forced evictions. The government denies forced evictions take place, and oil companies say their presence in Sudan has a positive effect on the economy and promotes stability. Some two million people have died since civil war erupted in 1983. The conflict broadly pits the Muslim, Arab north against the mostly Christian or animist south, which is seeking greater autonomy. Efforts to end the war have been complicated by the oil reserves in the south. The rebels have previously pledged to disrupt production, accusing the government of using oil proceeds to finance the war. But the government denies this, saying the revenues are invested in rebuilding the south. Last week the SPLA said it had killed 244 government troops and captured three tanks after ambushing a convoy escorting oil company equipment near the country's oil fields. A peace summit in Nairobi earlier this month, attended by Sudanese President Omar Hassan al-Bashir and Garang, failed to reach an agreement on implementing a ceasefire. Sudan rejected an SPLA ceasefire call in April which said Khartoum should halt oil exports and prospecting until a peace deal was reached.