SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Pastimes : Clown-Free Zone... sorry, no clowns allowed -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Lucretius who wrote (128671)10/11/2001 7:54:43 AM
From: UnBelievable  Respond to of 436258
 
Third Anthrax Case Reported in Fla.

Futures World News - October 11, 2001 07:50



BOCA RATON, Fla. (AP) - Federal officials said they have
launched a criminal investigation into the source of anthrax
contamination at a supermarket tabloid after learning a third
employee was exposed.
The announcement marked the most declarative statement yet about
an anthrax investigation that comes as the nation is on a
heightened terrorism alert. Officials have hinted that it could
turn into a criminal investigation but never have been so assertive
about the direction of the probe.
The bacteria has already killed one man and put a co-worker in
the hospital, prompting widespread concern about bioterrorism. But
the FBI said there was no evidence linking the anthrax to a
terrorist group.
A nasal swab taken from a 35-year-old woman, whose name wasn't
released, tested positive for the presence of anthrax, U.S.
Attorney Guy Lewis said Wednesday. She was being treated with
antibiotics at a hospital and her condition was not immediately
known.
Investigators wearing white moon suits and gas masks were
working through the night into Thursday collecting evidence in the
newspaper offices of American Media, Inc., which publishes six
tabloids.
"The FBI is going through the building on a methodical basis.
Floor by floor, cubicle by cubicle, area by area," said FBI
special agent Hector Pesquera.
Attorney General John Ashcroft said investigators are working to
identify the type of anthrax and how it showed up at the AMI
office. He downplayed speculation that the anthrax may have been
taken from a lab.
"I have absolutely no evidence to indicate that the anthrax in
Florida was stolen from any lab," he said on NBC's "Today Show."
"We don't have any ability to announce any source of the
Anthrax."
The woman was one of more than 1,000 people tested by health
officials, who took nasal swabs and blood tests from those who
recently had been inside the company headquarters.
The search so far has turned up no further sign of anthrax since
traces were discovered on the computer keyboard of Robert Stevens,
63, who died Friday of inhaled anthrax, an especially rare form of
the disease. Co-worker Ernesto Blanco, 73, has been in a Miami
hospital since Monday after he was found to have anthrax spores in
his nose.
"This is so devastating to me and my company," AMI chief
executive David Pecker said on CNN's "Larry King Live." Pecker
said he thought his company was being targeted.
Pesquera said the anthrax contamination was limited to the
building and added "this is not a time for premature conclusions
and inaccurate reporting."
Company employees began taking blood tests on Wednesday at the
company's offices. County and state health department officials
ordered the building closed for 30 days.
Health officials have emphasized that there is no public health
threat. Anthrax tests at Stevens' home were negative, said Dr. Jean
Malecki, director of the Palm Beach Health Department.
The anthrax bacterium normally has an incubation period of up to
seven days, but could take up to 60 days to develop.
"This can happen to anybody." Pecker said. "This can happen
to Time Warner. This can happen to the New York Times."



To: Lucretius who wrote (128671)10/12/2001 11:35:50 AM
From: John Pitera  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 436258
 
so what's the thread thoughts on Barclay's latest musings sandspring.com