SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : The Donkey's Inn -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Kenneth E. Phillipps who wrote (606)10/13/2001 2:56:27 PM
From: Mephisto  Respond to of 15516
 
"Earlier this year, the administration agreed with a congressional budget resolution to set aside $28 billion to help the uninsured by expanding a program for children in low-income families. The program is a personal favorite of
Thompson, and he used a similar one as governor of Wisconsin to manage dramatic increases in coverage.

But in an interview with The Times, he warned that budget pressures may make any expansion impossible this year for the Children's Health Insurance Program, known as CHIP."

....................................................************************......................................................

I'm not surprised Kenneth. And all Bush can talk about is WAR!!!! And how he may EXPAND IT
TO OTHER COUNTRIES!!!!

Yesterday, newspaper indicated that he may carry on with this war for a very long period of time.

We can't fight the world, Kenneth! There are anti-AMERICAN demonstrations against US bombing
in AFGHANISTAN ALL OVER THE WORLD even in LONDON!
"



To: Kenneth E. Phillipps who wrote (606)10/13/2001 3:11:38 PM
From: Mephisto  Respond to of 15516
 
Evidence of six hijacking teams: Search for 10 terrorists still at large in US

Julian Borger in Washington and John Hooper in Berlin
Saturday October 13, 2001
The Guardian

US immigration officials are racing against time to comb through
years of data in a search for up to 10 trained al-Qaida hijackers
who, investigators believe, are still on the loose in America.

Evidence has emerged on both sides of the Atlantic that
indicates there were plans to hijack two more airliners on
September 11 and that several of the would-be hijackers have
yet to be caught.

Since September 11 there has been speculation over the
existence of more hijack cells, apart from the 19 terrorists who
took over four airliners and crashed them into the World Trade
Centre, the Pentagon, and a rural area in Pennsylvania.

Following the discovery of fresh documentary evidence,
investigators in the US and Europe are working on the
assumption that 30 terrorists, in six teams, were intended to
have taken part in the onslaught. It is thought at least one plane
was to have been aimed at the White House.

An intelligence source in the US said another plane due to have
been hijacked was a Continental Airlines flight from Newark on
the morning of September 11. Retractable knives (similar to
Stanley knives) of the same type used in the four successful
hijackings were found taped to the backs of fold-down trays.

The source did not give details of the sixth plane. However,
similar knives were found stashed in the seats on a plane which
had been due to leave Logan airport in Boston the same
morning, and which was delayed and then cancelled.

The new evidence specified the number of hijackers involved but
did not provide all their names, an intelligence source in the US
said. Two suspected members of the Hamburg-based cell where
the plot is thought to have been hatched are missing.

Both men, Said Bahaji and Ramzi bin al-Shibh, are thought to
have formed part of the operation's back-up structure and are
thought to have fled to Pakistan.

The only named suspect thought to have been part of the
September 11 team is a Moroccan-French man in custody in
New York. Zacarias Moussaoui is seen as a possible fifth
member of the hijack team which seized United Airlines flight
93, the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania.

Moussaoui, who lived in London before leaving for the US early
this year, was detained on August 17 after his requests for flying
lessons on an airliner simulator aroused suspicion. He
possessed only a student pilot's licence and wanted to learn
how to turn and fly straight, not how to take off or land.

Two Indian citizens, Mohamed Azmath and Ayub Khan, have
also been under suspicion of involvement. They were arrested on
September 12 in Texas on a train from St Louis to San Antonio.

On the morning of September 11, they had boarded a flight from
Newark to San Antonio, but it had been diverted to St Louis after
news came of the first impact in New York. The two men were
found with retractable knives, thousands of dollars, and hair dye
among their possessions.

There have been reports that both held a commercial pilot's
licence in India, although before September 11 they had low-paid
jobs at a newspaper kiosk. Somehow they could afford to send
$64,000 (£45,000) in wire transfers to India in 1999.

However if the men, both from Hyderabad, were would-be
hijackers it is not clear why they did not seize their plane. Also,
they were on a TWA flight from Newark and knives were
reportedly found hidden on a Continental airliner.

Neither man is cooperating with investigators, nor is Moussaoui.
The identity of the other hijackers still at large is a mystery, an
intelligencesource in the US said.

"In some cases they don't even have any names. In other cases
they are not sure of the right spellings for the Arabic," the
source said. "The search through the INS (Immigration and
Naturalisation Service) records is turning out to be a nightmarish
experience. It goes back months or years."

The FBI on Thursday warned of fresh attacks in the next "several
days" but gave no details about targets.


guardian.co.uk



To: Kenneth E. Phillipps who wrote (606)10/13/2001 5:30:48 PM
From: Mephisto  Respond to of 15516
 
Daschle Seeks Economic Compromise
Saturday October 13 11:07 AM ET

By CURT ANDERSON, AP Tax Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Any plan to boost the weakened U.S.
economy should be temporary, aimed at the greatest need and not
become bloated in cost through add-ons driven by a political agenda,
Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, D-S.D., said Saturday.

A day after the Republican-led House Ways and Means Committee
approved a $100 billion package dominated by tax cuts, Daschle used
the weekly Democratic radio address to urge President Bush (news -
web sites) and GOP congressional leaders to work toward a
compromise reflecting those principles.

``Once again, we are called to put aside politics and work for the good
of the nation,'' he said. ``It is essential that both parties resist the
temptation to use the economic package as a vehicle for other agendas.''

Democrats unanimously opposed the GOP package in the Ways and
Means Committee on Friday, arguing that it contained far too much
business tax relief and not enough help for the unemployed. It cleared
the panel on a party-line, 23-14 vote, and the full House may take it up
next week.

At the White House, spokesman Ari Fleischer (news - web sites) said
the measure ``includes some items the president did not ask for'' in his
proposal for a plan of between $60 billion and $75 billion.

``He wants to work closely with the Democrats on this ... it's the
beginning of the process,'' Fleischer said.

Republicans portrayed the legislation as a much-needed tonic for an
economy still reeling from the shock of the Sept. 11 terrorist strikes. It
includes Bush's major priorities, including the new round of rebate
checks and accelerated income tax cuts, and effectively reduces capital
gains taxes as sought by GOP conservatives.

Daschle said some tax relief was appropriate, but the measure also
should provide spending to ``strengthen our homeland defense by
improving public health, transportation safety'' and other security needs.

There are some areas of common ground in the House plan - estimated
to cost $99.5 billion in 2002 and $159.4 billion over 10 years - starting
with the rebate checks.

The rebates would be intended for an estimated 30 million workers
whose main federal tax liability is the payroll tax that finances Social
Security (news - web sites). Those workers did not qualify for the
earlier checks included in the recently enacted 10-year, $1.35 trillion tax
relief measure.

The maximum amounts of the checks would be $300 for individuals,
$500 for heads of households and $600 for married couples filing jointly
- identical to the previous checks. Taxpayers who got partial rebates
this summer would get another check to make up the difference.

For the unemployed, the House measure includes $9 billion in flexible
grants to states that could be used for unemployment benefits, paying
health insurance premiums for laid-off workers or other needs. Workers
also could withdraw tax-free money from retirement accounts to pay
health insurance premiums.

Republicans said the business tax cuts, some of which drew sharp
criticism from Democrats as a form of political payback, were essential
to spur investment and create jobs.

``These are not big, bad corporations,'' said Rep. Jim McCrery (news -
bio - voting record), R-La. ``These are real jobs we're talking about.''

Democrats sought to increase unemployment benefits, including the
13-week extension proposed by Bush, and provide 75 percent
matching money for COBRA insurance policies available to laid-off
workers. Those amendments were defeated on largely party-line votes.

Other highlights of the package:

-Enhanced expensing write-offs of 30 percent for each of the next three
years for business capital purchases. This item has solid bipartisan
support.

-Repeal of the corporate alternative minimum tax, retroactive to Jan. 1
of this year. Democrats would largely prefer a reduction, not repeal.

-On capital gains taxes, a change in the holding period for investments
so that most would qualify for the lower 18 percent tax rate. That rate
now applies to most investments held longer than five years; a 20
percent rate applies to most held longer than one year. Capital losses
could also be deducted up to $4,000 in 2001 and $5,000 in 2002, up
from $3,000 under current law. In 2003 it would revert to the $3,000
deduction.

-Cutting the 27 percent income tax rate to 25 percent in 2002, instead
of slowly phasing in the cut by 2006.

-An increase from two years to five years in the time businesses can
deduct current losses against past profits.

-Extension of several tax provisions that expire at the end of this year.

-http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20011013/pl/attacks_economy_78.html



To: Kenneth E. Phillipps who wrote (606)10/13/2001 5:41:40 PM
From: Mephisto  Respond to of 15516
 
Repeal Bush's Tax Cut:: Use the money for social insurance and economic stimulus.

By: Barney Frank
From The American Prospect

One of the impressive feats of intellectual tenacity in recent times is the Republicans' ability
to sustain their faith in large tax cuts for the wealthy despite repeated battering from reality.


When George W. Bush first proposed this early in 2000, his justification was that our economy was so strong that it was producing far more revenue than we needed. A year later, as Congress was considering his proposal, the president's rationale did a 180-degree turn: Now it was the very weakness of the economy that demanded a tax cut, so that the wealthy would be encouraged to engage in more of the economic activity that was to be our means of avoiding recession. During all of that time, Bush was as fervent as anyone else in subscribing to the view that revenues derived from the payroll tax should go only to Social Security and not be used for other purposes--until it became clear that he could not have both his tax cut and this commitment, whereupon the commitment began to crumble.

The constant throughout these flip-flops, however, was the president's ardent conviction that we had too much government. In fact, the real reason he sought a significant reduction in government revenues was his belief that this was the most effective way to reduce the level of government activity.

But then things changed, tragically and drastically. First, of course, it became clear that the tax cut was doing very little to stave off economic weakness--not surprising, since the great bulk of the reduction is not due to take effect until years in the future, far beyond the date when the current cyclical downturn should be history. And second, cataclysmically, America suffered the massive, murderous tragedy of September 11.

One consequence of that horrific day is a national consensus that what we need is more government spending--to move immediately against terrorists; to engage in significant reconstruction, compensation, and increased security; and also to deal with a very real recession. Fairly quickly, the pressing need to spend at least $100 billion more than was authorized in the current budget gained near universal acceptance. And while not everyone has been explicit about acknowledging it, the requirement for increased government spending will not go away after we deal with the current emergency: It will stay with us for the indefinite future. Beefing up our intelligence capability; significantly increasing the security of air travel; indefinitely protecting vital infrastructure; developing a public-health capacity to deal with the possibility of chemical or biological attacks; providing a federal role as payer of last resort for reinsurance companies in case of similar catastrophes; significantly upgrading the computer capacity at all levels of government; and, according to the Bush administration, greatly increasing military
spending--all of these are requirements for increased government spending, not simply over the next six months but on into the future.

In short, the notion that government needs significant shrinkage (which was the only consistent rationale for the Bush tax cut) no longer commands the support it once did--even from the Bush administration. And I doubt that even the most passionate government hater on The Wall Street Journal editorial board says to himself on boarding an airplane that he feels much safer knowing that he has a tax cut in his pocket.

But because Congress acquiesced to the president's tax-cut request, the federal revenues we will need in order to deal with the current double crisis as well as fund significantly higher levels of protective activity in the future will not be there.


Unless we act. Federal revenues will be more than $100 billion lower than they would have been over the next 10 years because the president persuaded Congress to reduce the tax rate on incomes over $297,350 a year from 39.6 percent to 35 percent. That's the bad news. The good news is that only a very small piece of this reduction has gone into effect; if Congress acts now, we can produce more than $100 billion in additional revenue with no contractionary short-term economic consequences.

Under current law, the $100 billion or so in additional funding that we will spend to deal with our crises will add to the national debt unless, as conservatives have already begun to urge, we make up for this by cutting federal spending for education, housing, health care, and other critical social needs. Obviously, it makes sense to spend freely now, both to combat the deepening recession and to deal with the terrible events of September 11.

But it does not make sense to couple this short-term spending increase with a long-term reduction in federal revenue from the very wealthiest people in our society.


On September 21, I filed a bill with a number of Democratic co-sponsors to undo the cut in the top tax rate and to put the resultant revenues into the Social Security and Medicare trust funds (in the same percentage as the current payroll tax is divided). This will allow us to proceed with the increased spending that we need in the short term without immediately cutting vital social programs or leaving the conservatives with a larger national debt with which to argue for such spending cuts in the future. Putting this money into the Social Security and Medicare trust funds has two justifications: First, unlike the "lockbox" concept--and the longer I hear that debate carried on, the more I am convinced that if we were to make any change in the First Amendment, it should be to ban the use of metaphors in the discussion of public policy--this produces additional actual resources to help keep the Social Security system solvent and to provide at least a small part of the additional funds that Medicare needs to rescue it from its current fiscal ill health. Second, it enables my elected colleagues--both the president and
Congress--to keep the promise so many of them ardently made not to spend payroll-tax revenues for general government purposes.

Of course, they now say, this promise must give way if there is no alternative for protecting national security. But there is an alternative: telling the richest people in this country that while they will still get the same tax cuts in dollar terms on income below $300,000 that their poorer fellow citizens get, they will not get an additional $100 billion-plus over the next 10 years.

If we hadn't already reduced the resources that the government needs by more than $100 billion over the next decade as a gift to the very wealthy, I doubt that we would do so in the current circumstances. Sometimes mistakes are hard to undo. This time, correction can come easily, since tax cuts far in the future that have not gone into effect can be undone without any destabilizing effect.


Letting a mistake stand that can easily be corrected is dumber than making it in the first place.

Barney Frank

Copyright © 2001 by The American Prospect, Inc. Preferred Citation: Barney Frank, "Repeal Bush's Tax Cut:," The
American Prospect vol. 12 no. 19, November 5, 2001.