SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Foreign Affairs Discussion Group -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: maceng2 who wrote (10528)11/17/2001 10:31:17 PM
From: maceng2  Respond to of 281500
 
Security Tight as Raduyev Trial Opens

By Nabi Abdullaev
Staff Writer

AP

MAKHACHKALA, Dagestan -- Chechen warlord Salman Raduyev, who led an audacious hostage-taking raid on a Dagestani hospital in 1996 that left 78 people dead, went on trial with three alleged accomplices amid high security in Makhachkala on Thursday.

Police were swarming around Dagestan's Supreme Court as early as 5 a.m., and late in the evening dozens of OMON officers clad in armored vests and brandishing assault rifles were waving cars and pedestrians away from the area.

Mobile phones went dead in the court's vicinity -- police had installed frequency-jamming devices around the site as a safeguard in case radio-controlled bombs had been planted there.

Although it has been declared an open trial, only journalists were permitted to attend the hearings Thursday after receiving prior accreditation from the southern republic's Information Ministry and being cleared by the local branch of the Federal Security Service.

Police officers with German shepherds guarded the court's entrance and journalists were meticulously searched with the aid of metal detectors before entering the courtroom. Inside, about 30 armed policemen stood guard, although no members of the public nor relatives of the defendants were present.

"Their relatives know that if they come, the Dagestanis will tear them to pieces," said one of the numerous prosecutors.

A team of four prosecutors from Moscow and Dagestan led by General Prosecutor Vladimir Ustinov began the proceedings right on time at 10 a.m.

"Citizens of Russia must understand that we fight terrorism not only by the power of weapons but also by the power of law," Ustinov told journalists before the opening of the proceedings.

Raduyev, 34, wearing a baseball cap and his trademark sunglasses and beard, along with three other defendants -- Turpal-Ali Atgeriyev, 31, Aslambek Alkhuzurov, 31, and Khusein Gaisumov, 25 -- were ushered into the courtroom's steel cage through a hatch in the floor.

None of them looked worried -- on the contrary, Raduyev and Atgeriyev almost appeared to ooze confidence.

They asked judge Baguzha Unzholov to strengthen their advocacy with the addition of two Chechen lawyers who they nominated. Initially, only Raduyev had a Chechen lawyer, while others were to be defended by Dagestani lawyers. Their request was granted, and the two attorneys joined the team of lawyers sitting in a row near the cage that held their clients. Raduyev's new lawyer, Lom-Ali Yakhyayev, was wearing a knee-length green silk shirt and an embroidered skullcap with tassel.

Atgeriyev, who was a deputy prime minister and minister of state security in the government of the first Chechen President Dzhokhar Dudayev, also dismissed a Chechen interpreter who was summoned for him upon his request before the trial began.

"I dismiss an interpreter as being capable to communicate in Russian," he said in a statement Thursday.

Only nine former hostages appeared in the court Thursday. According to judge Unzholov, more than 1,900 plaintiffs refused to attend the process, being unable to regularly travel the 180 kilometers between Makhachkala and Kizlyar, where the hospital raid took place.

Unzholov has presided over several recent high-profile court cases in Dagestan -- in March he convicted six men over the 1999 bombing of a military apartment building in Buinaksk that killed 58 people, sentencing two to life imprisonment; and earlier he gave life sentences to two accused of killing 20 people in an unsuccessful attempt on the life of Makhachkala Mayor Said Amirov in September 1998.

During an afternoon break in the hearing, some of Raduyev's former hostages told journalists that "the most fair punishment for Raduyev is shooting him."

"They [Raduyev's gunmen] treated us then like the fascists treated the Soviet prisoners," said Tatyana Vasilyeva, who was among the Kizlyar hospital staff seized in the raid. "Any unauthorized move meant death for us."

Upon finishing the formalities, the court began reading Raduyev's 700-page indictment.

Having enumerated numerous charges against Raduyev, a joint team of investigators from the Prosecutor General's office and Federal Security Service focused on three major events allegedly involving Raduyev.

Raduyev led 300 gunmen in seizing the hospital in the town of Kizlyar on Jan. 9, 1996. They took hundreds of patients, doctors and nurses hostage. The next day, the rebels left for Chechnya with a group of Dagestani officials and journalists who had agreed to take the places of the hostages at the hospital.

Federal troops blocked the rebels' convoy of buses near the Dagestani village of Pervomaiskoye. After an eight-day battle, Raduyev managed to escape to Chechnya with his men and the rest of the hostages.

In addition to charges over the deaths of 78 people, Raduyev's gunmen were charged with inflicting material damages of 269 billion non-redenominated rubles ($45 million).

Investigators are also charging Raduyev with disarming and taking hostage 27 Penza OMON officers who had been guarding the Gerzel checkpoint between Dagestan and Chechnya in December 1996. Their release was negotiated several days later.

In addition, Raduyev is accused of plotting and carrying out a bomb attack in April 1997 at the railroad station in Pyatigorsk, which claimed the lives of two people and injured more than 30. Raduyev, say investigators, ordered the blast and gave a radio-controlled bomb to two women, who were later arrested and convicted in Stavropol for executing the attack.

The reading of the indictment is to continue Friday.

Meanwhile, several dozen onlookers gathered on the streets near the court, despite the efforts of security officers to send people away.

"Trying Raduyev is a waste of time and of our money," said Paizat Magomedova, 55, standing in a small crowd near the courthouse.

"He should be just hanged," several other voices chimed in.

"Or given to the relatives of those killed by his gunmen in Kizlyar," said Dmitry Shabanov, 21, a student of Dagestan State University.

Others in the crowd suggested castrating Raduyev or putting him under a tank's tracks -- "to make sure that his iron head is smashed," Shabanov added, apparently referring to the titanium patches said to have been implanted in Raduyev's skull after he was severely injured in one of several attempts on his life, in which he lost one of his eyes. There are conflicting theories about who was responsible.

Although Raduyev married a relative of Dudayev and claimed to be his successor -- even calling his own gunmen the army of Dzhokhar Dudayev -- he became estranged from other rebel warlords after Dudayev's death.

Dudayev had criticized Raduyev for overstepping orders by taking civilian hostages, and Chechen leader Aslan Maskhadov has often publicly condemned Raduyev for his anti-Russian statements and threats.

"When Raduyev was seized by the Russians in March 2000, many in Chechnya, even among the rebels, sighed with relief," said businessman Shamil Beno in a recent interview. Beno is a former adviser to Kremlin-appointed Chechen administration head Akhmad Kadyrov, and was also foreign minister in Dudayev's government.

themoscowtimes.com



To: maceng2 who wrote (10528)11/20/2001 7:00:36 AM
From: maceng2  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 281500
 
Kazantsev: Ball Is Now in Rebels' Court [Chechnya news]

By Yevgenia Borisova
Staff Writer

Misha Japaridze / AP

Groundbreaking weekend talks aimed at ending hostilities in Chechnya did not lead to any breakthrough and now it is up to the rebels to make the next move, presidential envoy Viktor Kazantsev said Monday.

Kazantsev met Sunday with a representative of Chechen rebel leader Aslan Maskhadov for the first face-to-face talks between Moscow and the rebels since the current conflict erupted in Chechnya two years ago.

Kazantsev and Maskhadov's representative, Akhmed Zakayev, spoke for 2 1/2 hours in a VIP lounge at Sheremetyevo Airport's Terminal 2.

However, Zakayev's proposals for peace sounded "more like slogans," Kazantsev said.

"It looks like they have intentions and there is a desire, but whenever it comes to practical issues, they are not ready," Kazantsev said at a news conference. "On such a theoretical level, there is no sense in holding further meetings."

He said that a resumption of talks depended on the rebels coming to the table with "practical answers" to a call by President Vladimir Putin on Sept. 24 for them to lay down their arms.

Zakayev, who flew in from Istanbul with Turkish politician Besim Tibuk for the meeting, said upon his return home that he was heartened by the talks.

"We were very happy with the meeting. We believe the talks will continue and end positively," Zakayev said.

He said the meeting had addressed a cessation of hostilities and a peaceful political settlement. It was unclear Monday whether the most controversial issue -- disarmament -- was even broached.

"There was not such an issue on the agenda," Zakayev told the Turkish Turan news agency.

However, Kazantsev made it clear Monday that he expects the rebels to offer to lay down their arms. He said Russia would begin to pull out troops from Chechnya once serious peace talks start, but acknowledged that Maskhadov was facing pressure from rebel warlords such as Shamil Basayev and Jordanian-born Khattab, whom he called international terrorists.

Akhmad Kadyrov, head of the Moscow-appointed Chechen administration, said the meeting Sunday would do little for peace because Maskhadov had no control of the rebels.

"Basayev has never been of lower rank than Maskhadov ... they have no coordination," Kadyrov said at the same news conference.

"Maskhadov represents three to four people who move him from place to place to hide," he said.

Former spymaster Nikolai Kovalyov, a once-time head of FSB predecessor the Federal Security Committee who now serves as a State Duma deputy, also expressed skepticism.

There were "more than enough of these kind of meetings in the mid-1990s, and they all finished with zero results," he told Interfax. "We must not get too excited about the talks."

In Nazran, Ingush President Ruslan Aushev said news of the talks had boosted the spirits of the tens of thousands of Chechen refugees camped in Ingushetia. "They are waiting for the meeting to become the start of a peace settlement for Chechnya that will make it possible for them to go back to the republic," he told Interfax.

A number of Russian politicians welcomed the meeting.

Said Duma Speaker Gennady Seleznyov: "We can only welcome the possibility of an agreement being reached for [the rebels] to lay down their weapons and to start living peacefully."

"Zakayev is probably a figure who could maintain a political dialogue and he represents a group that the current bandit formations in Chechnya listen to," he told reporters.

Sergei Yushenkov, the deputy head of the Duma's security committee, said Kazantsev's participation signaled that the Kremlin no longer considered Maskhadov a terrorist.

"It is well-known that negotiations are not conducted with terrorists, so such a meeting means that the federal authorities are indirectly acknowledging that Maskhadov and his associates like Zakayev do not have direct links to terrorism," Yushenkov said.

He said that the next stage of talks must be conducted "at a higher level -- between Prime Minister Mikhail Kasyanov and Maskhadov" -- and a special commission must be set up of Moscow, Grozny and international representatives to nurture discussions.

Alexander Vershbow, the U.S. ambassador to Russia, also applauded the talks, telling reporters that President George W. Bush had reiterated to Putin during a three-day U.S. summit last week that the United States wanted peace discussions over Chechnya.

Tibuk, who accompanied Zakayev to Moscow, said he had high hopes that peace would be found.

"I was talking with the Chechens for a very long time, saying they should talk to the Russians to end this war," Tibuk, chairman of the Turkish Liberal Democratic Party, said by telephone from Istanbul. "After the meeting in Moscow, Kazantsev thanked me for facilitating the talks."

"I was very much impressed by Kazantsev -- he is a real statesman," he added. "I could see that he had a very positive approach to the meeting."

themoscowtimes.com