SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : America Under Siege: The End of Innocence -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Nadine Carroll who wrote (12365)12/28/2001 10:56:22 PM
From: lorne  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 27748
 
Intifada Continues
December 29, 2001
TEHRAN TIMES POLITICAL DESK
TEHRAN -- The Palestinian Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) warned against reducing the intensity of the Intifada and stressed the need to continue the uprising as the only way to respond to the Zionist regime's aggression in Palestine.

In a statement issued on Thursday, Hamas added that the Palestinians can only defend themselves against Israel's atrocities through struggle.

The Hamas statement expressed their opposition to any kind of secret negotiations with the Zionist regime and the meeting between security officials of the two sides, adding that the national unity and rights of the Palestinians would be sacrificed at these meetings and negotiations.

Hamas also called on Palestinians and other Islamic and national armed groups to strengthen national unity and the Intifada, and also asked the Palestinian Authority to review its measures in arresting Palestinian activists and closing Palestinian resistance centers.

Hamas issued a statement 8 days ago announcing that it would temporarily stop its suicide attacks, saying that it took the measure to prevent tension between Palestinian groups.

On the other hand, a senior Palestinian negotiator said on Thursday that talks between Palestinians and Israelis were focusing on a four-point document that they believe could lead to a final settlement of the decades-long conflict.

Nabil Shaath, who is also a cabinet minister, was presenting details of recent meetings between Israeli Foreign Minister Shimon Peres and Palestinian Parliament Speaker Ahmed Korei.

"The aim is to find a political way out of the current crisis and not focus on security matters as Sharon always stressed," Shaath said.

Sharon's spokesman Raanan Gissin called them "ideas" and not a peace plan.

Meanwhile, a Zionist military patrol shot dead a Palestinian man in the Gaza Strip according to reports released on Friday. His death brings the number of people killed in the 15-month Intifada to 861.

According to another report, an Israeli helicopter gunship killed a Palestinian in the West Bank on Wednesday in fresh violence that overshadowed a rare session of security talks between the sides.

Palestinian and Zionist security officials held a meeting on the Gaza Strip border in which a senior Palestinian security official said that they had agreed to allow repairs of the Gaza International Airport, which had been damaged by Israeli troops.

The Palestinian Authority accused Israel of trying to "destroy stability and calm" by maintaining a crippling blockade of Palestinian areas and sending its forces into Palestinian-ruled areas in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

On Thursday Israeli forces launched a fresh raid into Palestinian-ruled territory in the West Bank, seizing eight suspected militants as troops came under fire from Palestinian gunmen.

The Israeli army said the arrests of suspected members of Hamas in the divided city of Hebron were carried out to "frustrate terror activity". No casualties were reported.

tehrantimes.com