Deferral Talk Reported in Andersen Case
By KURT EICHENWALD The New York Times April 2, 2002
Justice Department officials were willing to consider deferring the prosecution of Arthur Andersen, letting it avoid indictment, if the firm publicly acknowledged that it had illegally destroyed documents in the Enron investigation and if it agreed to restrictions similar to probation, people involved in the case said yesterday.
But discussions of such an idea, raised in talks between the government and Andersen several weeks ago, never got off the ground because Andersen officials thought that the firm had not broken any laws and that such an admission would have been just as devastating to its fortunes as an indictment or guilty plea.
The indictment last month has led to dozens of defections by clients and members of the global network of Andersen partnerships, putting the firm's survival at risk. Though it is impossible to say whether Andersen would have fared better with a deferral of prosecution, such an arrangement would have given the firm a measure of finality in a case that now threatens to drag on for months.
An admission would have been part of what is known as a deferred- prosecution agreement. When a judge approves such a deal, the defendant must acknowledge criminal wrongdoing, and then prosecution is deferred for a number of years. After that time, the indictment is dismissed. But if the defendant is found to have committed any other misdeeds during the deferral period, the case can go to trial and the admission can be used against the defendant as evidence.
Though such deals are most frequently used in low-level narcotics cases, the Andersen prosecution would not have been the first to use a deferred-prosecution agreement in a prominent white-collar case.
In 1994, Prudential Securities was allowed to enter into such an agreement to resolve criminal charges that the firm had defrauded investors in the sale of energy limited partnerships. The brokerage firm emerged from its probationary period three years later, and the charges were never revived against it. The proposal in the Prudential case was drafted by the government and lawyers for Davis, Polk & Wardwell, which now represents Andersen.
But terms of such a deal in Andersen's case were never discussed because the concept collapsed over the issue of an admission. As a result, no financial penalties or other aspects were discussed, so there is no way to know whether the two sides could have reached a deal even if Andersen had been willing to acknowledge wrongdoing.
A deferral without such an admission was said to have appealed to Andersen, but the government would not consider a proposal like that.
Legal experts said a deferred- prosecution agreement could be an appealing compromise for the two sides, given that Andersen has already suffered the consequences that it feared an admission would bring.
"In the marketplace, people have already assumed that they had" engaged in improper document destruction, said Stephen M. Ryan, a former federal prosecutor who now works at Manatt, Phelps & Phillips in Washington, meaning that an admission would probably harm the firm no more than the indictment has. "But with their current position, they are balancing the future of the company on a knife edge and handing it to a jury. That is a pretty good roll of the dice."
Although there is no certainty the government remains willing to consider such an arrangement, a deferred prosecution would also have advantages for prosecutors - allowing them to lock up a victory on their first case in the Enron investigation without running the risk that a jury might side with Andersen.
Such a defeat, given the devastating effect of the indictment on Andersen, would open the prosecution's decision to criticism from Capitol Hill. Several members of Congress have already expressed skepticism about the decision to indict.
In recent statements, the two sides have seemed to circle around the concept of some sort of deferral. The offer of Paul A. Volcker, the former Federal Reserve chairman, to take charge of Andersen if prosecutors withdrew their indictment contained several elements that were similar to a deferred prosecution. Mr. Volcker said, for example, that under his proposed arrangement - in which the indictment would be withdrawn under a legal concept known as "without prejudice" - the government would be free to refile the charge if it was unsatisfied with reform efforts undertaken by Andersen's new management.
The government has responded to that, both publicly and in communications with Andersen, by saying that reforms must be coupled with some sort of admission of wrongdoing, along with an agreement to cooperate in the investigation. All those components would be met by a deferred-prosecution agreement with a provision requiring a public declaration by Andersen that it was culpable for misdeeds.
The possibility for such an admission has seemed remote recently as Andersen has begun an aggressive public campaign criticizing the government's decision to prosecute and declaring its innocence.
But some people involved in the case say that a small window of opportunity exists in the coming days as Andersen names a new management team to run both the international firm and aspects of the national operations.
The board of Andersen Worldwide is expected to meet this morning in London and name a new chief executive. According to people close to the situation, few Andersen officials have expressed much interest in the job, at a time when some international offices are selling themselves piecemeal even as the rest of the division is in negotiations for a merger with KPMG. So far, only a few partners - mostly from Europe - have expressed any willingness to take on the job, which will be largely legal and administrative rather than involving any setting of grand strategy for the future of the firm.
But even with new management in place, there are numerous financial hurdles to any sort of deal. For example, Andersen's insurer, Professional Services Insurance of Hamilton, Bermuda, notified the firm last week that it would be unable to pay $217 million to settle a civil fraud case in Arizona. The insurance company was rendered technically insolvent by the failure of the accounting firm to make a $100 million payment, a person involved in the situation said, confirming a report yesterday in The Wall Street Journal.
The insurer is owned by the member firms of Andersen Worldwide, the Swiss cooperative that serves as the central hub for Andersen's global network of accounting firms in various countries. But Andersen's United States division owns less than 5 percent of the insurer, meaning that the foreign companies would largely be paying for the transgressions of their United States partner.
People close to Andersen portrayed the breakdown of the insurance situation as the most obvious sign of troubles between the firm's United States and international offices. "This is a function of the spat between the U.S. and international" offices, a person close to Andersen said.
A person who has reviewed Andersen's finances said that Professional Services was the American firm's only source of insurance for professional liability and that it could pay a maximum of $250 million for each claim. Before Andersen was indicted, its financial projections included the assumption of $300 million a year to pay the cost of the premium.
Patrick Dorton, an Andersen spokesman, said yesterday that the firm had fully intended to pay its settlement in the Arizona case but that its plans had been derailed by the criminal indictment.
Andersen negotiated the Arizona settlement in good faith and "at that time we believed the settlement would be approved by the insurance company," Mr. Dorton said.
"The unalterable fact is that the decision by the Department of Justice to indict the entire firm has changed the landscape for all parties involved."
The path to the document destruction at Andersen appears to have begun in September. The New York Times reported last month that a controversy over a series of memos erupted then between an elite group of accountants in the firm's professional service group, which reviews the accounting methods used by the audit partners, and Andersen's Houston office. The memos appeared to indicate that the Chicago accountants had approved a tactic used by Enron, when, in fact, they had not given their approval.
The Times report last month said that the Chicago and Houston accountants debated in conference calls for several days about how to revise the memos, at times in consultation with a lawyer for the firm. Those revisions were entered into the memos, with written indications of the dates that they had been revised. During one of those calls, an Andersen lawyer reminded the accountants about the firm's rules for destroying unnecessary documentation; after that reminder, the Chicago accountants began deleting e-mail messages concerning their conversations. Discussions about the firm's document retention policy continued for several weeks, until finally, according to the indictment, the shredding picked up for the purpose of impeding a Securities and Exchange Commission inquiry.
The primary witnesses for the government will be Andersen employees themselves. For the last several weeks, many of them have been cooperating with government investigators, answering questions about the document destruction.
One of the partners who answered questions from the government is a member of the professional service group, Carl Bass, whose role was first identified in Business Week magazine. As part of his work, Mr. Bass reviewed some of Enron's accounting practices and was particularly skeptical of them. Documents obtained by the House Energy and Commerce Committee indicate that Mr. Bass was the target of sharp criticism from Enron officials who thought he was too hesitant to endorse their accounting. Indeed, Congressional investigators said, Andersen removed Mr. Bass from consulting on the account at the request of Enron officials.
The anger of Enron left Mr. Bass perplexed, since he had never spoken to anyone at the company about accounting issues that led to certain criticism of him. In a March 4, 2001, e-mail message to a colleague, Mr. Bass noted his concern, saying that he was "perplexed as to how the client even knows I was consulted."
An Andersen spokesman referred questions to a lawyer for the firm in Houston, Rusty Hardin, who did not return a telephone call.
nytimes.com |