SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : The Donkey's Inn -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: TigerPaw who wrote (3806)4/29/2002 9:33:40 PM
From: Mephisto  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 15516
 
American navy 'helped Venezuelan coup'

Duncan Campbell in Los Angeles
Monday April 29, 2002
The Guardian

The United States had been considering a coup to overthrow the
elected Venezuelan president, Hugo Chavez, since last June, a
former US intelligence officer claimed yesterday.

It is also alleged that the US navy aided the abortive coup which
took place in Venezuela on April 11 with intelligence from its
vessels in the Caribbean. Evidence is also emerging of US
financial backing for key participants in the coup.

Both sides in Venezuela have blamed the other for the violence
surrounding the coup.

Wayne Madsen, a former intelligence officer with the US navy,
told the Guardian yesterday that American military attaches had
been in touch with members of the Venezuelan military to
examine the possibility of a coup.

"I first heard of Lieutenant Colonel James Rogers [the assistant
military attache now based at the US embassy in Caracas]
going down there last June to set the ground," Mr Madsen, an
intelligence analyst, said yesterday. "Some of our
counter-narcotics agents were also involved."

He said that the navy was in the area for operations
unconnected to the coup, but that he understood they had
assisted with signals intelligence as the coup was played out.

Mr Madsen also said that the navy helped with communications
jamming support to the Venezuelan military, focusing on
communications to and from the diplomatic missions in Caracas
belonging to Cuba, Libya, Iran and Iraq - the four countries which
had expressed support for Mr Chavez.

Navy vessels on a training exercise in the area were supposedly
put on stand-by in case evacuation of US citizens in Venezuela
was required.

In Caracas, a congressman has accused the US ambassador to
Venezuela, Charles Shapiro, and two US embassy military
attaches of involvement in the coup.

Roger Rondon claimed that the military officers, whom he
named as (James) Rogers and (Ronald) MacCammon, had been
at the Fuerte Tiuna military headquarters with the coup leaders
during the night of April 11-12.

And referring to Mr Shapiro, Mr Rondon said: "We saw him
leaving Miraflores palace, all smiles and embraces, with the
dictator Pedro Carmona Estanga [who was installed by the
military for a day] ... [His] satisfaction was obvious. Shapiro's
participation in the coup d'état in Venezuela is evident."

The US embassy dismissed the allegations as "ridiculous". Mr
Shapiro admitted meeting Mr Carmona the day after the coup,
but said he urged him to restore the national assembly, which
had been dissolved.

Mr Carmona told the Guardian that no such advice was given,
although he agreed that a meeting took place.

A US embassy spokesman said there were no US military
personnel from the embassy at Fuerte Tiuna during the crucial
periods from April 11 to 13, al though two members of the
embassy's defence attache's office, one of them Lt Col Rogers,
drove around the base on the afternoon of April 11 to check
reports that it was closed.

Mr Rondon has also claimed that two foreign gunmen, one
American and the other Salvadorean, were detained by security
police during the anti-Chavez protest on April 11 in which around
19 people were killed, many by unidentified snipers firing from
rooftops.

"They haven't appeared anywhere. We presume these two
gentlemen were given some kind of safe-conduct and could have
left the country," he said.

The members of the military who coordinated the coup have
claimed that they did so because they feared that Mr Chavez
was intending to attack the civilian protesters who opposed him.

Mr Chavez's opponents claim pro-Chavez gunmen shot
protesters while his supporters say the shots were fired by
agents provocateurs .

In the past year, the United States has channeled hundreds of
thousands of dollars in grants to US and Venezuelan groups
opposed to Mr Chavez, including the labour group whose
protests sparked off the coup. The funds were provided by the
National Endowment for Democracy, a nonprofit agency created
and financed by the US Congress.

The state department's human rights bureau is now examining
whether one or more recipients of the money may have actively
plotted against Mr Chavez.

guardian.co.uk