SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Right Wing Extremist Thread -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Neocon who wrote (26314)5/20/2002 11:42:45 AM
From: sandintoes  Read Replies (2) | Respond to of 59480
 
And hanging around the Clinton's is a classless society also...

Giuliani defends Bush's handling of terrorism warnings

Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani defended the Bush administration's handling of intelligence information prior to Sept. 11, saying on Sunday he did not believe the federal government could have anticipated the terrorist attacks.

Giuliani, a Republican, suggested that the Clinton administration also should be accountable given that much of the intelligence now coming under scrutiny was collected during its watch.

"Remember, the Bush administration when this attack took place was a very new administration and they had just inherited the intelligence apparatus put in place by the Clinton administration so when you look at this you're going to have look at both," Giuliani told The Associated Press after a speech to graduates of Georgetown Law School.

Giuliani received an honorary degree from Georgetown Law School Sunday and received a standing ovation from students for leading New York through the Sept. 11 attacks.

Giuliani demurred when asked whether Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) had gone too far in a speech on the Senate floor last week when she called on the Bush administration to explain what it knew about hijacking threats.

"I'd rather not comment on what she said," Giuliani said. "I think that from everything that I've seen, nothing so far suggests to me that the federal government -- whether were talking about the Clinton administration or the Bush administration -- would have had the kind of information that would have suggested that kind of attack.

"Even the information that we're talking about, a lot of it goes back to 1998 and 1999 when Mrs. Clinton's husband was president," Giuliani said.

"We're looking at a continuous course of conduct here. I don't know that people should be playing that kind of game," he added, referring to critics.

Clinton's speech -- in which she referred to a New York Post headline "BUSH KNEW" -- drew the ire of the White House. Spokesman Ari Fleischer singled out the former first lady for criticism in a briefing to reporters.

Giuliani said Sunday he had spoken with officials in the Bush administration recently and came away assured that no intelligence they had could have prevented the attacks on the World Trade Center or the Pentagon.

The Bush administration has come under fire since news broke that the White House knew prior to Sept. 11 that followers of Osama bin Laden might be plotting hijackings. The administration contends the information was not specific and they had no way of knowing the hijackers would turn the airplanes into suicide missiles to attacks American targets.

But critics point to earlier intelligence data they say could have alerted authorities to that possibility but that various branches of law enforcement failed to communicate among themselves.