To: goldsheet who wrote (86471 ) 6/8/2002 9:31:24 PM From: long-gone Respond to of 116779 Subtopic of slightly O/T but gold related stuff - "Lodes of Fun": Cripple Creek Melodrama based on gold rush: Cripple Creek Players SHOWING SUMMER OF 2002 - "The Spoilers" Melodrama & Musical Review at the Historic Butte Theater JUNE 15-SEPT. 1 As Seen on Colorado Get Aways Channel 4 News! Remember the good old days Feel Like "Goin" Up to Cripple Creek To Have a Little Fun"?? Well, CHECK THIS OUT! The melodrama is back in a beautiful newly renovated theater right on Bennett Avenue. And the Mackin Family is once again producing the shows as they did for 45 years in Cripple Creek from 1946 to 1991. The 2002 melodrama season begins June 15! Don't miss this year's production of Gold Rush history - "The Spoliers". cripplecreekplayers.com SHOWING SUMMER OF 2001 - "under two flags"! at the Historic Butte Theater Remember the good old days "Goin" Up to Cripple Creek To Have a Little Fun" at the melodrama?? Well, GOOD NEWS! The melodrama is back in a beautiful newly renovated theater right on the main street, Bennett Avenue. Butte A Cripple Creek Tradition Opera houses gained much popularity in Cripple Creek during its heyday. The "Butte Concert and Beer Hall" premiered in about 1896, when proprietors Halbekann & Hertz featured nightly entertainment with a Ladies' Vienna Orchestra. Some time later the theater re-premiered as the Butte Opera House under the management of D.R.. McArthur. Within two years, numerous clubs and lodges were sponsoring parties and benefits at the Butte on a regular basis. In 1898 an ad ran in the Cripple Creek Morning Citizen announcing a meeting at the Butte Hall to consider shutting down Cripple Creekâs gambling houses. The opera house experienced limited success. By 1900 the business had transformed to the Butte Hall Dancing Academy under dance instructor William Simpson. Partly due to the rowdy Brunswick Saloon situated across the street, the dancing academy eventually closed. The Watt Brothers Furniture Company occupied the building from 1902 to 1907. When the Watt brothers moved out, The Butte reverted back to a theater called Teller Hall. Later it was known as the Armory. The building would also house a skating rink and a second hand store before Roy Wright installed an auto garage in about 1915. Author Muriel Sybil Wolle recalled seeing the words "Butte Opera House" on the building when she visited Cripple Creek in the 30's. By then, the Cripple Creek Auto Company occupied the building. It was owned by Charlie Lehew, best known as a founding father of Cripple Creek's annual Donkey Derby Days celebration. The business sold twice more before being purchased in the mid-70's by Golden Cycle Corporation. The Butte's next lease on life found the upstairs theater being used for storage, while the first floor housed the Cripple Creek Fire Department. Then early in 1999, the city of Cripple Creek began extensive renovations to refurbish the former theater with fresh paint, Victorian-era wallpaper, and period chandeliers. A 1,350-square foot stage spans the main room, with seating for 174 guests. The sound booth is equipped with state-of-the-art movie projectors and sound equipment. A snack bar, roomy dressing rooms and tastefully decorated lavatories complete the historic atmosphere. The Butte Opera House Foundation has been formed as a 501(c)3 public nonprofit corporation to support community events at the theater. Board members are Chuck Bishop, Danielle Hathaway, Bob Jeffries, Billy DeGarmo, Steve & Bonnie Mackin and Butch Ward. For information on how to donate to the Butte Opera House Foundation, contact Manager Stacy Mackin at 689-6402. cripplecreekplayers.com