SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : The Donkey's Inn -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Mephisto who wrote (4104)7/3/2002 3:07:18 AM
From: Mephisto  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 15516
 
Kabul wants review of army procedures


Carlotta Gall The New York Times
Wednesday, July 3, 2002

iht.com

KABUL In the strongest criticism it has leveled at
U.S. forces, the Afghan government expressed
great dismay Tuesday at the killing of about 40
civilians and wounding of about 100 in a U.S.-led
operation in southern Afghanistan. It called for a
major review of U.S. procedures in its operations
against terrorism here.

President Hamid Karzai called the U.S.
commander of the coalition force in Afghanistan,
Lieutenant General Dan McNeill, to his office for
an explanation of the attack, the Foreign Ministry
said in a statement Tuesday. He asked the general
to take more care to avoid civilian casualties and
advised the American military to assess and verify
intelligence reports carefully before acting on
them.


Karzai was re-elected last month to a new two-year
term as leader, but his sharp reaction to the
casualties inflicted by U.S. forces showed his
concern that such fatal mistakes could turn the
population against the war on terror and play into
the hands of Al Qaeda and the Taliban who
remain at large.

U.S. military and Afghan officials traveled to
Uruzgan Province on Tuesday to conduct a joint
investigation of the incident that occurred in the
early hours of Monday morning in the district of
Dehrawud.

"Some 40 people were killed, all civilians, and
some 100 people were wounded," according to
preliminary reports, Foreign Minister Abdullah
Abdullah said. He said that four villages were hit
by bombs in the attack and that people had been
killed or wounded in all four villages, but most
were killed in the village of Kakarak, where a
wedding party was under way.

"Most unfortunately there was a wedding party in
one village," Abdullah said at a news conference in
Kabul. "Of a whole family of 25 people, not a
single person is left alive. This is the damage
reflected by the operation of July 1."