SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Strategies & Market Trends : News Links and Chart Links -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: pallmer who wrote (4025)12/13/2002 3:58:49 PM
From: Softechie  Read Replies (2) | Respond to of 29600
 
AG's favorite web site...http://www.markpoyser.com/greenspan.htm



To: pallmer who wrote (4025)12/14/2002 2:04:38 PM
From: pallmer  Respond to of 29600
 
-- UPDATE 1-Western planes strike targets in southern Iraq --

(Updates with Iraq military spokesman, previous Washington)
BAGHDAD, Dec 14 (Reuters) - Iraq said U.S. and British
warplanes attacked civilian targets in the south of the country
on Saturday, but the U.S. military said the planes targeted
Iraqi air-defence facilities.
The U.S. military said allied planes used precision-guided
weapons to target the facilities in response to "Iraqi threats
against coalition aircraft" in the southern "no-fly" zone
enforced by the United States and Britain.
The targets were at Al-Kut, about 100 miles (160 km)
southeast of Baghdad, and Qal'at Sukkar, about 170 miles (160
and 270 km) southeast of the capital, the U.S. Central Command
said from the MacDill Air Force base in Florida.
"The coalition executed today's strike after Iraqi military
aircraft violated the southern no-fly zone," a statement said.
An Iraqi military spokesman, quoted by the official Iraqi
News Agency, said U.S. and British planes bombed "civilian and
service installations" in the provinces of Wasit (Kut), Meisan
(Amarah) and Dhiqar (Nasiriya) south of Baghdad.
"At 0755 a.m. (0455 GMT) today, U.S. and British warplanes
carried out 44 sorties from bases in Kuwait, flying over Artawi,
Samawah, Qurna, Nasiriya, Qal'at Sukker, Kut, Nu'maniya,
Kerbala, Diwaniya, Amarah and Basra," he said.
"The planes attacked civilian and service installations in
Wasit, Meisan and Dhiqar provinces," the spokesman said, adding
they had been repelled by anti-aircraft and missile fire.
Iraqi air defence forces have fired at U.S. and British
aircraft more than 470 times and violated the southern no-fly
zone on 13 separate days this year, the U.S. statement said.
In the same period, allied aircraft have responded by
striking Iraqi military targets more than 80 times.
Iraq says the air raids often hit civilian sites, killing
innocent people. Washington says civilians are never targeted.
The exchanges have gone on since the 1991 Gulf War but have
increased sharply in recent months. The United States has
threatened to attack Iraq if it does not abide by a U.N.
resolution to disclose any weapons of mass destruction it may
possess. Iraq says it has none.
Iraq does not recognise the no-fly zones, set up after the
Gulf War to protect a Kurdish enclave in the north and Shi'ite
Muslims in the south from possible attack by Iraqi forces.



(C) Reuters 2002. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of
Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly
prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters
sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of
companies around the world.


n3584695

Symbols:
RU;LKOH US;LUKO DE;LUK DE;LUKS DE;LUKF DE;LUKX

14-Dec-2002 19:01:12 GMT
Source RTRS - Reuters News