SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Sully- who wrote (418821)6/26/2003 12:18:49 AM
From: tejek  Respond to of 769670
 
Iraqi Provides Pre-'91 Nuke Program Items

By JOHN J. LUMPKIN
.c The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) - A former Iraqi nuclear scientist has provided American authorities parts and documents from Saddam Hussein's nuclear weapons program from over 12 years ago, a U.S. intelligence official said Wednesday.

The scientist, Mahdi Shukur Obeidi, said he had kept the parts buried in his garden at his Baghdad home on the orders of Saddam's government, according to the intelligence official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Once sanctions against Iraq ended, the material was to be dug up and used to reconstitute a program to enrich uranium to make a nuclear weapon, Obeidi claimed to U.S. officials.

U.S. authorities believe Obeidi's statements are credible, and they are regarded as evidence that Iraq had an effort to hide parts of its original programs from U.N. inspectors.

<font color=red>Still, the intelligence official acknowledged the find was not the ``smoking gun'' that U.S. authorities are seeking to prove the Bush administration's claims that Iraq had an active program to develop a nuclear weapon.<font color=black>

Before the 1991 Gulf War, Obeidi headed Iraq's program to make centrifuges that would enrich uranium for nuclear weapons, the official said. Most or all of that program was dismantled after U.N. inspections in the early 1990s.

Details of Obeidi's activities during the past decade were not immediately available, although he was interviewed often by inspectors from the U.N.'s International Atomic Energy Agency in 2002, the official said.

Obeidi turned over a two-foot-tall stack of documents that includes detailed designs for centrifuges, intelligence officials said. Obeidi told intelligence officials the parts from his garden were among the more difficult-to-produce components of a centrifuge.

Assembled, the components would not be useful in making much uranium. Hundreds of centrifuges are necessary to make enough to construct a nuclear weapon in such programs.

Obeidi and his family have left Iraq, the intelligence official said.

Since the war, U.S. teams looking for evidence of Iraq's alleged chemical, biological and nuclear weapons programs have been chasing leads and tips from Iraqis who stand to win reward money offered for evidence. So far no weapons have been found.

Before the second Gulf War, U.S. and allied intelligence agencies said they had evidence that Iraq was seeking to reconstitute its nuclear weapons program, although some of that evidence has since been debunked.

Other evidence, such as reports that Iraq tried to import precision-made tubes for centrifuges, was hotly debated, with some experts saying those tubes were for conventional weapons.

Earlier this year, the U.N. agency said there was no new evidence or indications that Iraq was working to revive the program.


06/25/03 23:36 EDT


Copyright 2003 The Associated Press.



To: Sully- who wrote (418821)6/26/2003 12:36:08 AM
From: tejek  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 769670
 
Twelve years it was buried in the ground and you think its the smoking gun that Top Gun so desperately needs to regain his credibility!

That's really funny!



To: Sully- who wrote (418821)6/26/2003 1:57:21 AM
From: Skywatcher  Respond to of 769670
 
W is incompetent:
news.bbc.co.uk
and GEE! no comment from W and crew
US plans for Iraq 'flawed'
By Michael Buchanan
BBC correspondent in Washington

A senior American official who spent two months helping the
United States' post-war effort in Iraq has strongly criticised
reconstruction plans.

In his first broadcast interview since leaving Iraq, Timothy Carney
has told the BBC it is clear the White House did not think through
its post-war plans and that there was a lack of resources and
priority given to reconstruction efforts.

Mr Carney, a former American
ambassador with decades of
experience in post-conflict zones,
spent eight weeks in Iraq trying
to get the Ministry of Industry
and Minerals up and running.

He says that he and the rest of
the reconstruction team were
surprised by the amount of
looting they discovered and the
lack of attention US forces paid to
securing the ministries.

He calls the initial structure - in which the reconstruction team
were under the command of the military - a grievous flaw as
officers either did not understand or did not give enough priority
to rebuilding Iraq.

He says telephone communications were simply inadequate and
that reconstruction efforts were further hampered by a lack of
troops.

He accuses the White House of failing to think through post-war
plans, saying he is unaware of any meeting taking place on the
issue before the end of last year.

Nobody at the Pentagon or the White House was available for
comment.
CC