SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: JDN who wrote (426228)7/13/2003 5:43:00 AM
From: Raymond Duray  Respond to of 769670
 
BUSH LIES DEPT.: Scandal Spreads to Australia

news.com.au

Critics tell Howard to resign
By Sandra O'Malley
July 13, 2003

PRIME Minister John Howard today stood by key Australian spy agencies as calls grew for the government to come clean on what it knew about Iraq's weapons program before going to war.

Labor and the Australian Democrats accused Mr Howard of misleading the public over Iraq's attempted purchase of uranium from Africa, a key argument in his case for war in a speech to parliament on February 4.

The Defence Intelligence Organisation (DIO) last night became the third agency to admit it was aware of doubts over claims Iraq had sought to buy weapons-grade uranium from Africa.

DIO joined the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) and the Office of National Assessments (ONA) in acknowledging the claims were dubious.

Former United Nations chief arms inspector Richard Butler called for Foreign Minister Alexander Downer and Defence Minister Robert Hill to be held accountable for the failures of their portfolio agencies.

Richard Butler, executive chairman of the UN Special Commission from 1997 to 1999, said the ministers should accept responsibility and resign.

"In the justification for the war these claims were false and known to be false," he said.

"What was at stake here is that young Australian women and men were being sent overseas to be killed and certainly kill."

(Continues..........)

****************
Bush, Blair and Howard: Guilty of Murder, War Crimes and Lying to You!



To: JDN who wrote (426228)7/13/2003 5:47:34 AM
From: Raymond Duray  Respond to of 769670
 
BUSH LIES DEPT.: Fresh UK Iraq dossier questions

edition.cnn.com

Fresh UK Iraq dossier questions
Saturday, July 12, 2003 Posted: 0726 GMT ( 3:26 PM HKT)

LONDON, England -- British Prime Minister Tony Blair is facing fresh allegations that a September 2002 dossier on Iraq lifted old information from the Internet.

The Independent newspaper reported Saturday that the dossier contained at least six separate items on Saddam Hussein's alleged weapons of mass destruction that were lifted from reports up to 21 months old.

Blair's government has already acknowledged it made a mistake in failing to credit work by an American doctoral student used in its discredited February 2003 dossier.

But it has stoutly defended the integrity of the September document.

Earlier this week, Blair told a parliamentary committee he stood by the first dossier, insisting it supported the need for military action.

The Independent claimed that the earlier dossier drew heavily on sources already in the public domain.

They were a January 2001 briefing paper by William Cohen, U.S. Defense Secretary in the Clinton administration; a February 2001 appearance before a Senate intelligence committee by CIA Director George Tenet; an unclassified CIA report to Congress covering the period July 1 to December 31, 2000; and a report on Iraq by the International Institute for Strategic Studies published in London last September.

These pieces of evidence included references to ballistic missiles, unmanned drones, nuclear programs, "dual use" of civil materials, maps showing how British bases in Cyprus were within range of Iraqi missiles, and Saddam's supposed plan for regional domination.

Blair's office declined to comment in detail on the fresh claims of plagiarism.

A spokesman noted that during his appearance before the Commons Foreign Affairs Committee earlier this week Blair stood by the intelligence material presented to the public.

"We have said all we have to say on this," the spokesman added.