SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Politics for Pros- moderated -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Nadine Carroll who wrote (9137)9/24/2003 2:51:16 AM
From: AK2004  Respond to of 793757
 
re: Nothing I've read so far gives me the feeling that there is really a strong scientific consensus around these last three questions.

that is exactly the point. While just as recent as 20 years ago everyone was convinced that current warming is mainly due to humans now the same scientists question if human behavior have any significant impact on global warming at all.

re: I think we came out of the last ice age rather abruptly about 12,000 years ago.
not my field so you are probably right. I vaguely remember in one of the courses I took they just mentioned that the freezing was abrupt but warming up was gradual.

<edited>
you're right about ice age ending 17K years ago. 30K is when the ice age started
esd.ornl.gov



To: Nadine Carroll who wrote (9137)9/24/2003 5:53:35 AM
From: LindyBill  Respond to of 793757
 
Chechnyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk . . .

By Al Kamen Washington Post

Wednesday, September 24, 2003; Page A27

Our old pal Vladimir Putin, due for a visit here Friday with his buddy President Bush, chatted amiably with a dozen American journalists he'd invited down to his dacha on Saturday. Everything was going well until someone mentioned Chechnya.

Putin bristled, as he often does when someone challenges him on Chechnya. (Think of Larry and Moe when Curly says "Niagara Falls," and you get the picture.) One of the reporters quoted from a speech to the Helsinki Commission last week by Steven Pifer, deputy assistant secretary of state for Europe, who condemned "deplorable violations of human rights" by Russian forces and the terrorists, and said the problem threatens U.S.-Russian relations.

Russia's "conduct of counter-terrorist operations in Chechnya fuels sympathy for the extremists' cause and undermines Russia's international credibility," Pifer said.

"I wouldn't like to comment on mid-level State Department officials," Putin sniffed, according to our man in Moscow, Peter Baker. "I'll let Colin [ Powell] deal with him," said Putin, a former KGB thug and now champion of democracy. "He's a pro and a very decent man. . . . But we have a proverb in Russia -- in every family there will be somebody who is ugly or retarded." (Pifer declined to comment yesterday.) Then Putin started warming up to the subject (remember Larry and Moe, "Slowly I turned, step by step"), started complaining about "double standards," and then went off on a rant about U.S. human rights abuses in Afghanistan, Iraq and Guantanamo Bay, Baker reported, and complained that U.S. officials had met with Chechen representatives, which he equated to meeting with al Qaeda figures.

And this guy's an ally?......................


washingtonpost.com



To: Nadine Carroll who wrote (9137)9/24/2003 7:33:14 AM
From: LindyBill  Respond to of 793757
 
Another reporter goes down at the "New York Times." Seems her "affirmative action" promotion by Raines backfired also.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR-PRONE REPORTER
HOLLOWAY EXITS THE TIMES

By KEITH J. KELLY NEW YORK POST

September 24, 2003 -- Lynette Holloway, the embattled New York Times reporter whose work this summer prompted the second-longest correction in the history of the paper, has finally resigned.
Holloway was another error-prone reporter who seemed to be given new responsibilities in the era of Howell "Flood the Zone" Raines.

Like disgraced reporter Jayson Blair, she seemed to first have problems on the metropolitan desk; she was moved into the media section by Raines in an affirmative action move that apparently backfired.

Almost from the start on the media beat earlier this year, she came under fire from industry executives in the music industry for errors in her copy. The mistakes culminated with a July 7 story on Steve Gottlieb, the founder of TVT Records, that contained dozens of errors - from mild to substantial.

"It doesn't make sense that she just slipped up and made a mistake," said Gottlieb.

"This was not, 'get a tip and the story goes to press that night,' " said Gottlieb. "She had five or six interviews with me. I think people set about to manipulate her and they were successful."

Times editors apparently agreed: They ran a 2,175-word corrective story with the byline of another reporter on July 14.



In a case of bad timing, it occurred the same day that the paper announced Bill Keller was going to take over as the new executive editor.

Holloway has not had a byline since then.

At first the Times said there was no change in her status, but it now concedes she is no longer with the company.

"We reached an amicable settlement," said Times spokeswoman Catherine Mathis.

Oddly, Holloway's phone at the Times was still ringing yesterday afternoon. Her recorded voice urges people to leave a message or call a cell phone - which, it turns out, has been disconnected.

Holloway has apparently vacated her New York City apartment, where the phone is also disconnected, and moved to Chicago. Media Ink reached her at her new number in Chicago yesterday, but she hung up the phone without answering questions.Keith J. Kelly

nypost.com