SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Politics for Pros- moderated -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Ilaine who wrote (11200)10/7/2003 2:55:59 PM
From: LindyBill  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 793755
 
I expect JC Watts to run for and win this seat. First Republican Black Senator since reconstruction, I think.
___________________________________________

A Top Republican Says He Will Not Seek New Term
By SHERYL GAY STOLBERG NEW YORK TIMES

WASHINGTON, Oct. 7 — Senator Don Nickles, the Oklahoma Republican and Budget Committee chairman, announced today that he would not seek a fifth term, a decision that opens up new opportunities for Democrats to reclaim his seat.

"I always intended to return to the private sector," Mr. Nickles told reporters at a news conference in Oklahoma City, adding that he did not want to become a "lifer" in the Senate.

At 54, Mr. Nickles has been in the Senate for 23 years, making his mark as a staunch conservative who fought bitterly against expanding the federal budget. But he also burned some bridges with fellow Republicans last year, when, as the Republican whip, he became the first in his party to suggest publicly that Senator Trent Lott, then the majority leader, step aside over racially charged remarks.

The remark was widely interpreted as a move by Mr. Nickles to claim the leader's job. Some Senate aides said it guaranteed that Mr. Nickles would not rise up in the Republican ranks, thereby sealing his decision to retire.

"I think he saw that his chance at leadership had probably evaporated with the Trent Lott issue," a Senate Democratic aide said. "I think he probably felt like it was time to move on."

In recent weeks, as Mr. Nickles said he was nearing a decision, there has been considerable speculation on Capitol Hill about whether he would leave the Senate for a new career as a lobbyist, perhaps joining forces with another powerful lawmaker, Senator John Breaux, the Louisiana Democrat, with whom Mr. Nickles is close.

Today's announcement makes Mr. Nickles the second Senate Republican to announce his retirement, after Senator Peter Fitzgerald of Illinois. Had Mr. Nickles, who was urged to run by the White House, sought another term, his re-election would have been virtually guaranteed. But now there will be an intense election battle in Oklahoma, a state that has voted reliably Republican but which last year elected a Democrat, Brad Henry, as governor.

The Senate is presently made up of 51 Republicans, 48 Democrats and one independent who votes with the Democrats.

"This is definitely a blow to the Republicans because this puts Oklahoma, a place that that recently elected a Democratic governor, in play for the Democrats," said Brad Woodhouse, a spokesman for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.

"A run against Senator Nickles would have been a very, very high hurdle in terms of capturing that seat," he said. "So this is one more place that the Republicans will have to play defense."

Two Democrats are said to be contemplating a run. They are Representative Brad Carson, a conservative Democrat, and Drew Edmondson, the Oklahoma attorney general. Privately, Democrats said they favor Mr. Carson, who they believe has the best chance of reclaiming Mr. Nickles' seat.
nytimes.com



To: Ilaine who wrote (11200)10/7/2003 2:57:32 PM
From: carranza2  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 793755
 
Oh, no CB, you're not saying Wilson might, just might, be pimping his wife's experience and knowledge to the Saudis and the rest of the nasties? The Saudis do have a fat bankroll and the lovely couple will be unemployed soon, looking for book deals, etc.

That DC lifestyle requires lots of moolah to maintain. Might as well do it the easy way, right?

Guilty!! Obviously, she talks in her sleep or they engage in pillowtalk and he peddles the info to OBL, indirectly, of course, through Saudi fronts. Clear as day to me.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.



To: Ilaine who wrote (11200)10/7/2003 5:53:58 PM
From: carranza2  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 793755
 
Wilson is presently employed by the Middle East Institute, which is funded by the Saudi government.
mideasti.org;

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I have not been able to find anything to suggest Saudi funding for the MEI. Perhaps you can elaborate. However, Rock Creek Corporation is very much involved in doing business with the Saudis:

216.239.41.104

Which could be because the president of the Rock Creek Corporation is Elias Aburdene, an Arab-American, who is on the board of directors of the Center for Contemporary Arab Studies.

Along with no less a figure than Al-Saud, HRH Prince Turki Al-Faisal. Don't be surprised if Rock Creek fronts for the Saudis.

ccasonline.org

If Wilson is not actually on the golden Saudi money teat, he's trying real hard to get on it.

I think he might be pissed not because his wife was outed but because his access to the golden flow of Saudi cash might now be compromised. Why would the Saudis want to continue to give cash to the husband of a CIA agent/operative/analyst who might be passing along what he knows to the US gov't via his wife?