SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Microcap & Penny Stocks : Rat dog micro-cap picks... -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Bucky Katt who wrote (16277)12/11/2003 10:18:53 AM
From: Bucky Katt  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 48463
 
Outrage of the month>>> Tom Ridge: Time to legalize illegals
Homeland security chief wants to 'come to grips' with millions of migrants in U.S.

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

The United States should legalize millions of illegal immigrants living in the country, said Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge in a speech in Miami yesterday.

"The bottom line is, as a country we have to come to grips with the presence of 8 to 12 million illegals, afford them some kind of legal status some way, but also as a country decide what our immigration policy is and then enforce it," Ridge said, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.
(We already have those laws on the books, that is why they are called ILLEGALS)

Responding to a question from the audience of about 300, Ridge said he thinks a consensus is building that it is time to address the situation of illegal immigrants, who, he said, contribute to the country and pay taxes.

(Again, it's all about the $Benjamins!)

A growing number of bills would give residency to some of those people he said, adding one that requires them to leave the country before applying for legal status is "not workable."



To: Bucky Katt who wrote (16277)12/11/2003 12:56:43 PM
From: Skywatcher  Respond to of 48463
 
talk about chickensh*t!.....
Iraq Halts Its Count of Civilian War Deaths
From Times Staff and Wire Reports

BAGHDAD — Iraqi Health Ministry officials have ordered a halt to a count
of civilian deaths from the war and have told workers not to release figures
already compiled, the head of the ministry's statistics department said
Wednesday.

The health minister, Dr. Khodeir Abbas, denied that he or the U.S.-led
occupation authority had anything to do with the order, and said he didn't even
know about the survey of deaths, which number in the thousands.

Dr. Nagham Mohsen,
head of the ministry's
statistics department,
said the order came
from the ministry's
director of planning, Dr.
Nazar Shabandar, who
told her it was on behalf
of Abbas. She said the
U.S.-led Coalition
Provisional Authority,
which oversees the
ministry, didn't like the
idea of the count.

"We have stopped the collection of this
information because our minister didn't agree with it," she said.

Abbas, whose secretary said he was out of the country, sent an e-mail denying the charge.

"I have no knowledge of a civilian war casualty survey even being started by the Ministry of Health,
much less stopping it," he wrote. "The CPA did not direct me to stop any such survey."

Despite Abbas' professed ignorance, the Health Ministry's civilian death toll count had been reported
by media as early as August, and the count was widely anticipated by human rights organizations. The
ministry issued a preliminary figure of 1,764 deaths during the summer.

A Los Angeles Times survey of civilian deaths in Baghdad alone found that at least 1,700 civilians had
died in the five weeks starting March 20, when the war began.

Associated Press documented the deaths of 3,240 civilians between March 20 and April 20, based on
surveys of about half of Iraq's hospitals.

The Health Ministry's count was to be based on the records of all of Iraq's hospitals.

The U.S. military doesn't count civilian casualties from its wars, saying only that it tries to minimize
civilian deaths.

CC