SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Eashoa' M'sheekha who wrote (528702)1/24/2004 2:18:21 PM
From: PartyTime  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 769670
 
Guess who's talkin' below:

>>>And let me just touch on a few examples, and we'll be giving out a fact sheet later with additional examples.

Before the inspectors were forced to leave Iraq, they concluded that Iraq could have produced 26,000 litres of anthrax. That is three times the amount Iraq had declared. Yet, the Iraqi declaration is silent on this stockpile, which, alone, would be enough to kill several million people.

The regime also admitted that it had manufactured 19,180 litres of a biological agent called botchulinum toxin. UN inspectors later determined that the Iraqis could have produced 38,360 additional litres. However, once again, the Iraqi declaration is silent on these missing supplies.

The Iraqi declaration also says nothing about the uncounted, unaccounted precursors from which Iraq could have produced up to 500 tons of mustard gas, sarin gas and VX nerve gas.

Nor does the declaration address questions that have arisen since the inspectors left in 1998. For example, we know that in the late 1990s, Iraq built mobile biological weapons production units. Yet, the declaration tries to waive this away, mentioning only mobile refrigeration vehicles and food-testing laboratories.

We also know that Iraq has tried to obtain high-strength aluminium tubes which can be used to enrich uranium in centrifuges for a nuclear weapons program. The Iraqi regime is required by resolution 1441 to report those attempts. Iraq, however, has failed to provide adequate information about the procurement and use of these tubes.

Most brazenly of all, the Iraqi declaration denies the existence of any prohibited weapons programs at all. The United States, the United Nations and the world waited for this declaration from Iraq. But Iraq's response is a catalogue of recycled information and flagrant omissions. It should be obvious that the pattern of systematic holes and gaps in Iraq's declaration is not the result of accidents or editing oversights or technical mistakes. These are material omissions that, in our view, constitute another material breach.

We are disappointed, but we are not deceived.<<<

guardian.co.uk

Hmmm, the Bush Administration was disappointed then. I wonder how disappointed it is today, especially after learning of Kay's remarks.

But let's all be realistic and bottomline about it: What could be the very best possible result ...

1) That Iraq had WMD?
2) That Iraq didn't have WMD?

Now, how many GOPwingers among you were rooting for the first question. Come on now, ye good and mild-mannered GOPwingers--you can admit this, at least to yourselves.

Never mind!

The truth of the matter is all of us--yes, each and every one of us--should be glad no WMD was found. After all, for the sake of humanity, isn't it ultimately best that there is none?



To: Eashoa' M'sheekha who wrote (528702)1/24/2004 2:38:24 PM
From: Skywatcher  Respond to of 769670
 
IMPEACH BUSH AND CHENEY

Iraq Arms Inspector Resigns, Casts Doubt on Prewar
Data
By Greg Miller and Bob Drogin, Times Staff Writers

WASHINGTON — The leader of the U.S. search for banned weapons in
Iraq resigned Friday and said he thought that Iraq was not engaged in
large-scale production of chemical or biological weapons in the 1990s and
that it did not have stocks of banned munitions before the U.S.-led invasion
last year.

Special CIA advisor David Kay's decision to step down was a blow to the
White House, which based its case for the war in Iraq largely on claims that
Saddam Hussein's regime possessed large quantities of chemical and
biological weapons and had reconstituted its nuclear weapons program.

"I don't think they
existed," Kay said in an
interview with Reuters
news agency. "What
everyone was talking about is stockpiles produced after the end of the last
Gulf War, and I don't think there was a large-scale production program in the
'90s."

CIA Director George J. Tenet said Friday that the search for illicit arms in
Iraq would continue and that Charles W. Duelfer, a former United Nations
weapons inspector, would replace Kay as head of the Iraq Survey Group.

Duelfer also has expressed skepticism that there are weapons of mass
destruction to be found in Iraq, and his appointment was seen by some as an
indication that the Bush administration might be trying to figure out why prewar
intelligence on Iraq was apparently so wrong.

Speaking to Reuters after his departure was announced, Kay voiced deep
skepticism that the administration's prewar claims that Iraq was hiding large
caches of illegal munitions would be validated.

Citing interviews, documentation and an on-the-ground look at evidence, Kay said, "You just could not
find any physical evidence that supported a larger program."

Reuters released a transcript of the interview, in which Kay said he also decided to leave a job he
described as 85% completed in part because resources were being pulled away from the weapons hunt
to focus on the insurgency.

"When I had started out, I had made it a condition that ISG be exclusively focused" on weapons of
mass destruction, he said. "That's no longer so."

The draining of resources, Kay said, would make it difficult to conclude the search by the time the
United States was scheduled to turn over control of the country to a new Iraqi government.

"We're not going to find much after June," he said, suggesting that the new government probably would
interfere or impose obstacles to interviews and searches.

Asked what happened to Iraq's weapons, he said, "I think there were stockpiles at the end of the first
Gulf War and … a combination of U.N. inspectors and unilateral Iraq action got rid of them." He said
Iraq's nuclear program "wasn't dormant because there were a few little things going on, but it had not
resumed in anything meaningful."

Asked whether he believed that Iraq destroyed its banned weapons before the U.S.-led invasion, Kay
replied: "No. I don't think they existed."

Kay's comments came at the close of a week in which White House officials have tried to cast the
evidence against Iraq in the most favorable light.

President Bush, in his State of the Union address Tuesday, said the weapons search had proved that
Iraq had "weapons of mass destruction-related program activities," a phrase critics saw as
backtracking from prewar claims that Iraq had weapons stocks.

Vice President Dick Cheney, in an interview on National Public Radio, said two trailers discovered
after the war contained proof of Iraq's biological weapons programs.

Kay, in an interim report in October, said that his team had "not yet been able to corroborate the
existence of a mobile production effort." And in a BBC interview that aired Thursday on public
television in the United States, Kay called it "premature and embarrassing" for the CIA to have
concluded soon after the vehicles were discovered that they were weapons labs. Kay called the release
of the information a "fiasco."

Kay will return to his former post as a senior fellow at the Potomac Institute for Policy Studies, a
Washington-area think tank, officials there said. Kay did not return repeated phone calls from The
Times on Friday.

The weapons search has been marked by frustration from the start. Experts with the CIA, U.S. Special
Forces, the Defense Intelligence Agency, the Los Alamos National Laboratory and other specialized
agencies have scoured Iraq for 10 months but found no evidence that Hussein's regime had resumed
production of chemical or biological agents or had rebuilt its nuclear weapons program, as the White
House had said.

Kay took the job of organizing the Iraq Survey Group for the CIA in June amid mounting criticism of
the initial postwar hunt, run by the Pentagon. But Kay grew increasingly pessimistic, sources said, as
months passed and his own investigation teams also failed to find credible evidence of illicit weapons.

The U.S.-led teams have largely completed their chemical and nuclear weapons files, sources said, but
experts still are probing Iraq's suspected efforts to build germ weapons. Kay's teams found no
evidence that Iraq had developed smallpox weapons, as the Bush administration said, but they have
continued searching for evidence about other agents, including anthrax and aflatoxin.

Over the months, Kay's teams interviewed hundreds of Iraqis and detained scores of former scientists
and technicians for questioning at a U.S. base outside the Baghdad airport. Most have been released,
however, and the capture and interrogation of Hussein last month have produced nothing to point to a
breakthrough.

"I think [Kay's departure] confirms what we all know — which is that there is no smoking gun," said
Rep. Jane Harman of Venice, the ranking Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee. Harman
said the most important mission for the Iraq Survey Group now might be to help piece together clues to
how U.S. intelligence estimates on Iraq's weapons programs were so inaccurate.

"It is increasingly clear there was a massive intelligence failure," Harman said.

Kay returned to Washington in December and indicated that he was planning to step down. Friday's
announcement made it official. His replacement, 51-year-old Duelfer, is a former State Department
official and a senior member of the United Nations inspection team that worked in Iraq in the 1990s.

In a conference call arranged by the CIA, Duelfer said he was "quite excited" about the challenge
ahead. "My goal is to find out what happened on the ground," he said.

"What was the status of the Iraqi weapons programs? What was their game plan? What was their
goal?"

He said no one had pressured him to shade his investigation to substantiate prewar claims by the White
House. Tenet, he said, "wanted one thing — the truth, wherever that may lay. That's what I hope to
achieve."

Duelfer sought to counter his own recent statements in various media accounts that no chemical or
biological weapons would be found in Iraq. He said his comments were the "prognostications of an
outsider" that should not be given much weight now.

Kay and Duelfer were among those convinced before the war that Iraq had illegal weapons stocks.
Duelfer said his prewar judgments "like everyone else's, were off the mark."

Duelfer said he didn't yet know when he would go to Baghdad or issue his first report. Kay had been
expected to deliver a second interim report next month, but Duelfer indicated that was unlikely. "I
assume we will continue the practice of providing updates at some point," he said.

He also said he didn't know how long the search would go on. "I can't make a judgment as to how long
this will take," he said.

Former U.N. weapons inspectors who know Duelfer applauded his appointment.

"He's not a weapons expert per se, but he knows all four categories of weapons very well, and he
knows the disarmament process," said Tim Trevan, a former spokesman for the U.N. inspectors. "I
wouldn't think there are many people as well-versed as he is."

CC



To: Eashoa' M'sheekha who wrote (528702)1/25/2004 10:25:07 AM
From: PROLIFE  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 769670
 
Funny, most of the civilized world knew WMD was there. Funny, most all the Democrats knew it was there....even before GWB was President. The UN too.

Get over it.