To: Road Walker who wrote (190047 ) 6/8/2004 4:09:30 PM From: tejek Respond to of 1573994 I was also surprised at how he's been deified. "Deified" is exactly right. Meanwhile the world keeps moving and Americans keep getting killed. So much for the Saudis' dismantling of al Qa'ida. ******************************************** American Gunned Down in Saudi Arabia Victim Worked for U.S. Defense Contractor; Fatal Shooting is Second in Three Days By DONNA ABU-NASR, AP RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (June 8) - An American citizen was shot and killed Tuesday in Saudi Arabia, a U.S. Embassy official said, the second deadly shooting of a Westerner in the kingdom in three days. "We can confirm that an American has been killed in Riyadh," a U.S. Embassy official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. He provided no further details. The victim worked for Vinnell Corp., a U.S. defense contractor based in Fairfax, Va., the official said. Seven Vinnell employees were among the 35 people, including nine suicide bombers, who died last year in an attack on a Riyadh foreigners' housing compound. Another diplomat in Riyadh, also speaking on condition of anonymity, said the man was shot and killed in the Khaleej neighborhood of eastern Riyadh. Police responding to a report of a shooting found an American shot to death in his home, the official Saudi news agency said. The death was under investigation, it said. Saudi security officials would not immediately comment. Saudi officials have blamed a string of attacks on Westerners, government targets and economic interests in the kingdom on militants inspired by or belonging to al-Qaida, the anti-Western terror network led by Saudi-born Osama bin Laden. An Irish cameraman and a British reporter for the British Broadcasting Corp. came under fire Sunday while filming a militant's family home in Riyadh. The cameraman, Simon Cumbers, 36, was killed and BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner, 42, was critically injured. The journalists were attacked in low-income, southern Riyadh neighborhood that has been the scene of numerous confrontations between government forces and militants. The scene of Tuesday's shooting, though, was a more Westernized neighborhood of schools, clinics and housing compounds were Westerners live. British Prime Minister Tony Blair expressed concern Monday for the families of the two British journalists, and said the shootings demonstrated the threat terrorists pose around the world. "We have to be vigilant and get out and get after them and make sure we deal with this issue," Blair said. The British Foreign Office has advised Britons against all nonessential travel to Saudi Arabia. The United States has gone further, urging all of its citizens to leave. There has been an upsurge of violence in the kingdom despite a high-profile anti-terror campaign that the government began last year following attacks on residential compounds. A 25-hour shooting rampage and hostage-taking that began May 29 killed 22 people, most of them foreigners, in the eastern Saudi oil hub of Khobar. Saudi security forces captured one of the four attackers in that assault and are still looking for the other three. On May 22, a German chef was shot and killed outside a bank in Riyadh. The assailants remain at large. On May 1, a terrorist attack targeted the offices of an American energy company in the western city of Yanbu, killing six Westerners and a Saudi. 06/08/04 10:22 EDT Copyright 2004 The Associated Press.