SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : The Donkey's Inn -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Mephisto who wrote (8708)6/16/2004 7:11:31 PM
From: Mephisto  Respond to of 15516
 
Travesty of Justice
The New York Times

June 15, 2004

OP-ED COLUMNIST

By PAUL KRUGMAN

No question: John Ashcroft is the worst attorney general in history.

For this column, let's just focus on Mr. Ashcroft's role in the fight against terror.
Before 9/11 he was aggressively uninterested in the
terrorist threat. He didn't even mention counterterrorism in a May 2001
memo outlining strategic priorities for the Justice Department.
When the 9/11 commission asked him why, he responded
by blaming the Clinton administration, with a personal attack on one of the
commission members thrown in for good measure.


We can't tell directly whether Mr. Ashcroft's post-9/11 policies
are protecting the United States from terrorist attacks. But a number of
pieces of evidence suggest otherwise.

First, there's the absence of any major successful prosecutions.

The one set of convictions that seemed fairly significant - that of the
"Detroit 3" - appears to be collapsing over accusations of prosecutorial
misconduct. (The lead prosecutor has filed a whistle-blower suit
against Mr. Ashcroft, accusing him of botching the case.
The Justice Department, in turn, has opened investigations against the prosecutor.
Payback? I report; you decide.)

Then there is the lack of any major captures.
Somewhere, the anthrax
terrorist is laughing. But the Justice Department, you'll be happy to
know, is trying to determine whether it can file bioterrorism charges
against a Buffalo art professor whose work includes harmless bacteria
in petri dishes.

Perhaps most telling is the way Mr. Ashcroft responds to criticism
of his performance. His first move is always to withhold the evidence. Then
he tries to change the subject by making a dramatic announcement of a terrorist threat.

For an example of how Mr. Ashcroft shuts down public examination,
consider the case of Sibel Edmonds, a former F.B.I. translator who says
that the agency's language division is riddled with incompetence and corruption,
and that the bureau missed critical terrorist warnings. In
2002 she gave closed-door Congressional testimony;
Senator Charles Grassley described her as "very credible . . . because
people within the F.B.I. have corroborated a lot of her story."

But the Justice Department has invoked the rarely used
"state secrets privilege" to prevent Ms. Edmonds from providing evidence.
And last month the department retroactively classified two-year-old testimony
by F.B.I. officials, which was presumably what Mr. Grassley referred to.

For an example of changing the subject, consider the origins of the
Jose Padilla case. There was no publicity when Mr. Padilla was arrested
in May 2002. But on June 6, 2002, Coleen Rowley gave devastating
Congressional testimony about failures at the F.B.I. (which reports to
Mr. Ashcroft) before 9/11. Four days later, Mr. Ashcroft held a dramatic
press conference and announced that Mr. Padilla was involved in a
terrifying plot. Instead of featuring Ms. Rowley, news magazine covers
ended up featuring the "dirty bomber" who Mr. Ashcroft said was
plotting to kill thousands with deadly radiation.

Since then Mr. Padilla has been held as an "enemy combatant"
with no legal rights.
But Newsweek reports that "administration officials now
concede that the principal claim they have been making about Padilla
ever since his detention - that he was dispatched to the United
States for the specific purpose of setting off a radiological
`dirty bomb' - has turned out to be wrong and most likely
can never be used in
court."

But most important is the memo. Last week Mr. Ashcroft, apparently
in contempt of Congress, refused to release a memo on torture his
department prepared for the White House almost two years ago.
Fortunately, his stonewalling didn't work: The Washington Post has
acquired a copy of the memo and put it on its Web site.

Much of the memo is concerned with defining torture down:
if the pain inflicted on a prisoner is less than the pain that accompanies
"serious physical injury, such as organ failure," it's not torture.
Anyway, the memo declares that the federal law against torture doesn't apply
to interrogations of enemy combatants "pursuant to [the president's]
commander-in-chief authority." In other words, the president is above
the law.


The memo came out late Sunday. Mr. Ashcroft called a press conference
yesterday - to announce an indictment against a man accused of
plotting to blow up a shopping mall in Ohio. The timing was,
I'm sure, purely coincidental.

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
nytimes.com