To: Andrew N. Cothran who wrote (584072 ) 6/19/2004 8:23:04 AM From: Rock_nj Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 769670 Suicide army recruited in attempt to wreck Iraqi power transfer COLIN FREEMAN IN BAGHDAD FOREIGN terrorists in Iraq have recruited a suicide army of up to 250 car bombers to plunge the country into new depths of bloodshed in the coming weeks, coalition commanders have revealed. US intelligence officers fear that insurgents are planning mass strikes in an attempt to derail the transfer of power to an Iraqi government on 30 June. The prospect of terrorist violence escalating even further has prompted warnings from Iraq’s new security ministers that they would impose martial law on the country if needed. Last night, coalition officials said they would not stand in their way, despite fears that a return to authoritarian policing measures could backfire politically. The warning from US intelligence officials follows 20 car bombings already this month - an average of one a day - which have already killed at least 100 people and left thousands more injured. Thursday saw June’s worst attack so far, when a bomb blew apart a crowd of would-be army recruits outside a military base in Baghdad, killing at least 41 civilians and wounding 140. Army combat units have been warned to expect further assaults at a much higher rate, aimed at both coalition and Iraqi targets. They have also been told to be on their guard for a violent backlash from locals, many of whom blame the foreign troop presence for the attacks. "It may be the largest number of vehicle bombings we’ve ever seen in such a short period of time," said Ben Venzke, a terrorism analyst in Alexandria, Virginia. The carnage so far, coupled with the warnings of worse to come, has already prompted many Iraqis to flee the country temporarily, in the same way as they did during last year’s invasion. "Hundreds if not thousands of Iraqis are leaving," said Ismael Zayer, the editor-in-chief of Baghdad’s Al-Sabah Al-Jedid newspaper. "They’re going to the Gulf, to Jordan, Turkey, Kurdistan, to Syria even. "It’s much better than losing your life for nothing. No-one knows what will happen even in the next few hours." Falah Hassan al-Naqib, the interior minister, said the new interim government would have no qualms about imposing martial law if the violence threatened to undermine its authority. "If we need to do it, yes, we’ll do it, we won’t hesitate," he said. "This is the security of our country, the security and the life of our people." thescotsman.scotsman.com