SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Politics for Pros- moderated -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Lane3 who wrote (67436)9/6/2004 9:48:08 AM
From: Sully-  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 793754
 
The opaque John Kerry

By Nat Hentoff
Washington Times

With one stroke, candidate John Kerry could do a lot to lift the fog of the media war over his four-month tour of duty in Vietnam if he were finally to authorize the release of all his service records in the current resurrection of that deadly conflict.

Deep in a long front-page article in The Washington Post by Michael Dobbs, <font color=blue>"Swift Boat Accounts Incomplete,"<font color=black> there is a smoking gun. In the Aug. 22 piece, Mr. Dobbs largely gives credit to Mr. Kerry's version of one of the controversies — whether there was enemy fire on March 13, 1969, the day Mr. Kerry rescued James Rassmann from the water. But the smoking gun appears later:
<font color=blue>
"Although Kerry campaign officials insist they have published Kerry's full military records on their Web site (with the exception of medical records shown briefly to reporters earlier this year), they have not permitted independent access to his original Navy records."
<font color=black>
On tumultuous cable talk shows, Kerry defenders repeatedly maintained that all of Mr. Kerry's Vietnam records are on his Web site. But, writes Mr. Dobbs:
<font color=black>
"A Freedom of Information Act request by The Post for Kerry's records produced six pages of information. A spokesman for the Navy Personnel Command, Mike McClellan, said he was not authorized to release the full file, which consists of at least 100 pages."
<font color=black>
What is in these 100-plus pages? Since the centerpiece of Mr. Kerry's presidential campaign is not his 20-year Senate career, but what he did in Vietnam, including his medals, aren't voters entitled to look at the entire record? If not, why?

In the same article, Mr. Dobbs points out that while both sides in this volatile debate have a lot of information on their respective Web sites, both <font color=blue>"the Kerry and anti-Kerry camps continue to deny or ignore requests for other relevant documents,including Kerry's personal reminiscences (shared only with biographer Brinkley)"<font color=black> and the boat log.

On the anti-Kerry side, says Mr. Dobbs, the diary of Jack Chenoweth on the events of March 13, 1969, has also not been released. The Swift Boat Veterans for Truth should disclose it.

However, why can't we also see what Mr. Kerry shared with Douglas Brinkley during the preparation of Mr. Brinkley's <font color=blue>"Tour of Duty"<font color=black> about Mr. Kerry's Vietnam service? According to the story in The Washington Post, <font color=blue>"Brinkley, who is director of the Eisenhower Center for American Studies at the University of New Orleans, did not reply to messages left with his office, publisher and cell phone"<font color=black> requesting the information.

The Post story continues: <font color=blue>"The Kerry campaign has refused to make available Kerry's journals and other writings to The Washington Post, saying the senator remains bound by an exclusivity agreement with Brinkley."<font color=black> (In a subsequent Post story, Mr. Brinkley said those papers are in Mr. Kerry's <font color=blue>"full control."<font color=black> Why not release them?)

I have written biographies, and have never experienced an exclusivity agreement such as the one Mr. Kerry's campaign staff claims. When I wrote about John Cardinal O'Connor, the late cardinal was very candid during our interviews, including his renunciation of a book he had written, <font color=green>"A Chaplain Looks at Vietnam,"<font color=black> about his experiences there, in which he thoroughly endorsed our involvement in that war.

In the biography, Mr. O'Connor said, <font color=green>"That's a bad book, you know. It was a very limited view of what was going on. I regret having published it."<font color=black> He and I did not have an exclusivity agreement, even though the cardinal knew that his self-criticism was going to be in my book.

The Washington Post carefully researched <font color=blue>"the climactic day (March 13, 1969) in Kerry's military career"<font color=black> finding errors in both Mr. Brinkley's <font color=blue>"Tour of Duty"<font color=black> and John O'Neill's <font color=purple>"Unfit for Command,"<font color=black> the book that ignited the firestorm over Mr. Kerry's Vietnam record.

What I find strange is that Mr. Dobbs writes that <font color=blue>"Kerry himself was the only surviving skipper on the river then who declined a request for an interview." <font color=black>

Why did more than 250 Vietnam veterans testifying in Mr. O'Neill's <font color=purple>"Unfit for Command"<font color=black> make themselves vulnerable to a libel suit by Mr. Kerry, which, if they lost, could do great damage to their careers and incomes? After all, in such a suit, both sides would have to testify under oath. Are they all liars for Mr. Bush?

Would Mr. Kerry then really release all of his original Vietnam records to be scrutinized in the lawsuit's depositions? In a challenge to Mr. Kerry, Mr. O'Neill says, <font color=purple>"Sue me!" <font color=black>

A post-Vietnam fog of war does indeed hover over the Kerry candidacy. And why has most of the mainstream media not followed up on this smoking gun about Mr. Kerry's failure to release all of his Vietnam documents?

washingtontimes.com



To: Lane3 who wrote (67436)9/6/2004 9:53:58 AM
From: SirWalterRalegh  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 793754
 
"In my mind, Beslan truly stands out in the history of terrorism. I hope some good can come from it by forcing some introspection and some opposition within the Muslim community. Surely this has to cross the line for everyone who considers himself human.

Karen- This type of terrorism has been going on in Rwanda, Sudan, Phillipines etc on a much larger scale. For some strange reason the Muslims are always the perpetrators. For a scenario on how the Muslims might vanish read "The Three Conjectures".

RB



To: Lane3 who wrote (67436)9/6/2004 9:55:26 AM
From: LindyBill  Read Replies (3) | Respond to of 793754
 
Surely this has to cross the line for everyone who considers himself human.


Didja notice the vast silence across the "fertile crescent?" How about the huge outcry from our Muslim community?