To: Joe NYC who wrote (200610 ) 9/7/2004 1:45:39 PM From: tejek Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 1574199 Scores killed in Sadr City battles as US death toll in Iraq climbs (07/09/2004) BAGHDAD (AFP) Bloody clashes between US forces and Shiite militiamen left more than 40 dead in Baghdad's Islamist stronghold of Sadr City, officials said, while 11 US soldiers were killed in a spate of attacks. Smoke was rising and US war planes roared overhead as armed members of radical cleric Moqtada Sadr's Mehdi Army ran through the streets of the Baghdad slum after a night of fighting that left one US soldier dead and scores of Iraqis killed and wounded. The Iraqi health ministry reported that 40 people were killed and more than 270 injured as a fragile week-long truce called by Sadr unravelled. Militia fighters killed a US soldier and wounded two others Tuesday in a small-arms and rocket-propelled grenade attack in the sprawling Baghdad district, US Lieutenant Colonel James Hutton told AFP. The soldier's death brought to 992 the total number of US military fatalities since the US-led March 2003 invasion of Iraq that toppled Saddam Hussein. US tanks rumbled around the neighborhood and automatic fire echoed on Sadr City's main al-Shuhader Street. Four US military vehicles blocked off al-Hay square, site of Sadr's main office. On side streets, Mehdi army soldiers, dressed in their trademark black outfits and civilian clothes, planted bombs in the road. Hutton reported a string of attacks overnight on US forces in the den of the young radical cleric who has organised a thousands-strong army of young and unemployed Shiite men united under a banner of Islamic fundamentalism. Sadr aide Sheikh Naim al-Qaabi said 15 Mehdi Army fighters were killed and 62 wounded in the strife. "Last night was the most intense shelling of Sadr City since the Americans arrived in Iraq," he said, adding heavy aircraft fire lasted from 11 pm (1900 GMT) to 4 am. "The people are defending themselves against the occupation forces." There was no confirmation from the Americans about air strikes in the Shiite neighborhood. A mortar landed near a school as the battle raged, the military said. An uneasy calm had reigned in the district since the end of last month's three-week revolt by Sadr against the Americans in the Shiite shrine city of Najaf. Sadr's men had entered negotiations with the Iraqi government to disarm and enter the political arena, but his right-hand men complained the Iraqi government had started arresting its followers last week despite the talks. As troubles flared in the Shiite slum, the US military was mourning its dead from a flurry of anti-coalition attacks around Baghdad Monday. In addition to the US soldier killed in Sadr city, another three were killed in a string of attacks in the capital after a car bomb killed seven soldiers and three Iraqi national guard near the restive city of Fallujah Monday, the deadliest single strike in months for US troops. The Fallujah attack was claimed by black-hooded men, gripping assault rifles, in the name of Jordanian fighter Abu Mussab al-Zarqawi's militant group, in a video obtained by AFP. Meanwhile, Baghdad governor Ali al-Haidri narrowly escaped a bomb assassination attempt on his life that left two civilians dead, officials said. "There was an attempt to assassinate the Baghdad governor," said interior ministry spokesman Colonel Adnan Abdul Rahman. A police investigator on the scene in Baghdad's western al-Adel district said the bomb was a small booby trap device planted in a pothole, although the interior ministry described it as a car bomb. Some of Haidri's bodyguards were wounded, the governor said. The deputy director of Karama hospital in Baghdad was also shot dead, the health ministry said. And in the northern city of Mosul, the son of governor for the northern Iraqi province of Niniveh was assassinated. Continued...........afp.com