SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Formerly About Advanced Micro Devices -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Alighieri who wrote (201475)9/11/2004 2:48:21 PM
From: Yousef  Read Replies (3) | Respond to of 1574098
 
Al,

Re: "It may have escaped you, but the left didn't start this debate after 30 years."

I just saw the recent Swift Boat ads featuring John "Hanoi" Kerry throwing his
medals away and another ad of his Congressional testimony. Boy, I love those ads.
Bring on the Swift Boat ads. <ggg>

Make It So,
Yousef



To: Alighieri who wrote (201475)9/11/2004 3:37:14 PM
From: Yousef  Read Replies (2) | Respond to of 1574098
 
Al,

Re: "CBS' bomb turns blooper"

"CBS has been blown off stride by its own bombshell, joining several major
news organizations that trusted the network's claim that it finally had the
goods on President Bush. All were essentially bested by Internet bloggers.

Led by anchorman Dan Rather, CBS reported in a "60 Minutes" broadcast Wednesday
that it had obtained four old memos asserting that Mr. Bush did not fulfill his
National Guard obligations three decades ago β€” lobbing the claim just as
Sen. John Kerry was continuing to sink in public-opinion polls.
"


Make It So,
Yousef



To: Alighieri who wrote (201475)9/11/2004 3:47:21 PM
From: Yousef  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 1574098
 
Al,

Re: "CBS' bomb turns blooper (continued)"

NBC, ABC, the New York Times, The Washington Post, the Boston Globe and others
pounced on the story, heralding it as the smoking gun that would once and for all
discredit Mr. Bush.

"[He] failed to carry out a direct order," The Post noted flatly in a front-page
story Thursday, citing "documents obtained by CBS" as its source.

Much of the media had "no reticence about plowing forward and repeating CBS's loaded
charges that they proved President Bush received preferential treatment and
disobeyed an order to complete a physical," Brent Baker of the Media Research Center,
a media monitoring group, said yesterday.


The enthusiasm for "Memogate" paled, however, before the persistence of suspicious
Internet bloggers and the increasingly powerful amplification loop of alternative press organizations.

"It was like a 'perfect storm' that put us here," said Scott Johnson, the
Minnesota-based lawyer behind www.powerlineblog.com, one of several Web sites
that questioned CBS' claims through the kind of simple detective work once common
to old-fashioned journalism.


Mr. Johnson and fellow debunkers at indcjournal.com, littlegreenfootballs.com,
cnsnews.com, freerepublic.com and the Weekly Standard analyzed the typeface from
the memos to find they were contemporary in origin, proving them likely fakes.
The news was picked up by the Drudge Report and talk radio β€”and a huge audience.

Yesterday found the big press backtracking, and hiring its own "experts."

The documents "include several features suggesting" they had been forged,
The Post explained in another front-page story.

"This has the earmarks of a fraud. If someone from CBS would explain why the
issues we've raised are erroneous, I'd be the first to admit we're mistaken.
But no one has stepped up," Mr. Johnson said.


"The fact CBS was willing to go through all this is a sign of desperation,"
said John Hinderaker, another contributor to Powerlineblog.com. "They see the Kerry campaign
sinking beneath the waves."


CBS continues to stand by its story, as is Mr. Rather, who said it was based
on "solid sources" and under attack by "partisan political operatives" on last
night's broadcast of "CBS Evening News."

"Did somebody dupe CBS and Dan Rather, the pillars of mainstream [television] media? "
asked CNN's Wolf Blitzer, who interviewed Mr. Rather about his claims.

"If this is a hoax, it's a huge story, right on the heels of the Jayson Blair matter,"
Mr. Blitzer said, referring to the New York Times reporter who was fired for falsifying
stories. "It would be humiliating for CBS
β€” but we simply don't know yet.
This is going to take some more digging."

Others were blunter. "This is what happens when a news organization operates
in a bubble β€” a comfy liberal elite bubble," former CBS reporter Bernard Goldberg
told Ratherbiased.com, a Web site devoted solely to monitoring Mr. Rather.
"They wanted the story to be true, so they apparently minimized or ignored any
information that contradicted their preconceived notions."


Make It So,
Yousef