SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Stockman Scott's Political Debate Porch -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: stockman_scott who wrote (57618)9/29/2004 4:29:42 PM
From: elpolvo  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 89467
 
scott-

don't call me john kerry.

;-)

-elpolvo



To: stockman_scott who wrote (57618)9/29/2004 4:49:40 PM
From: T L Comiskey  Respond to of 89467
 
Ransom Payments Seen Fueling Iraq's Hostage Crisis

Wed Sep 29,

By Luke Baker

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - The release of two Italian aid workers in Iraq (news - web sites) has raised hopes other hostages may soon be freed, but reports that a large ransom was paid may only feed the burgeoning hostage crisis.





The two Italians, Simona Pari and Simona Torretta, both 29, were freed on Tuesday after three weeks in captivity.

They had been seized along with two Iraqi colleagues from a central Baghdad office in a brazen attack witnesses described as very organized and probably carried out by a criminal gang.

Italy rejoiced in the women's freedom on Wednesday, but there were reports a substantial ransom had been paid.

Gustavo Selva, an Italian lawmaker, told French radio a ransom of around $1 million -- a sum already mentioned in Arabic media reports in recent days -- had been handed over.

"In principle, we shouldn't give in to blackmail but this time we had to. Although it's a dangerous path to take because, obviously, it could encourage others to take hostages, either for political reasons or for criminal reasons," Selva told RTL.

"The sum ($1 million) is probably correct," he added.

Earlier this week, one of Kuwait's most respected newspapers, Al-Rai al-Aam, first raised the possibility that the two Simonas might be freed for cash, saying the kidnappers wanted $1 million, down from an initial demand for $5 million.

Senior Iraqi officials and foreign security consultants say ransom payments will only encourage further abductions, while pushing up captors' financial demands.

"The reason for the acceleration in kidnappings is simply because ransoms are being paid, that's it," said Sabah Kadhim, a spokesman for Iraq's Interior Ministry.

"As a government, we discourage the payment of any ransom. But we have information that kidnappers are being paid, perhaps not directly by governments, but via other channels, through clerics and others who have contact with the kidnappers.

"You can understand why they pay, but it fuels the problem."

HOSTAGE-TAKERS' HEAVEN

Around 130 foreigners have been seized in Iraq in a wave of abductions that began in April. Most of them have been released, but around 30 have been killed, some by beheading.

Over the past year or more, hundreds of Iraqis -- doctors, surgeons and prominent businessmen -- have been kidnapped by criminal gangs who demand ransoms of up to $100,000.

Now, with so many easily-identifiable foreigners in Iraq, criminals appear to have branched out, targeting more lucrative Westerners and foreign workers as well as locals.

Kadhim estimates that about 90 percent of the kidnappings in Iraq are carried out by criminal gangs, who then trade the captives on to militant Islamic groups and other factions.



"If the criminals don't get their money within 72 hours or so, they sell them up the chain to other groups," said a British security consultant who has been operating in Iraq for a year.

"There's vast amounts of money being paid, whether it's by companies, families or governments. It's a very, very good business," he said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Working in the kidnappers' favor is Iraq's security disarray, along with everyone's preference for secrecy.

"Iraq is in chaos, it's a very murky environment, which suits criminals down to the ground," said the consultant. "Also, the people paying the ransom don't want publicity and nor do the criminals, so everything is clandestine and nothing gets out."

He expects kidnappings to continue for many months, with plenty of Western targets available. The campaign might only stop if all foreigners were to leave the country, he said.

Aware that it has a crisis on its hands, the Iraqi government has formed specialist hostage negotiation teams, helped by the FBI (news - web sites), CIA (news - web sites) and other agencies. But it's an uphill struggle. There isn't even a criminal database in Iraq.

Meanwhile, the ransom payments not only fund criminals' lifestyles. Kadhim believes some Iraqi clerics have profited from acting as intermediaries in talks with kidnappers. And the security consultant said some of the money fuels the insurgency.

"There's evidence the cash gets split, with militants getting a share. $1 million buys quite a few RPGs (rocket-propelled grenades)," he said.




To: stockman_scott who wrote (57618)9/29/2004 6:19:15 PM
From: Wharf Rat  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 89467
 
FORTUNATE SON

Some folks are born made to wave the flag,
ooh, they're red, white and blue.
And when the band plays "Hail To The Chief",
oh, they point the cannon at you, Lord,

It ain't me, it ain't me,
I ain't no senator's son,
It ain't me, it ain't me,
I ain't no fortunate one, no,

Some folks are born silver spoon in hand,
Lord, don't they help themselves, oh.
But when the taxman come to the door,
Lord, the house look a like a rummage sale, yes,

It ain't me, it ain't me,
I ain't no millionaire's son.
It ain't me, it ain't me,
I ain't no fortunate one, no.

Yeh, some folks inherit star spangled eyes,
ooh, they send you down to war, Lord,
And when you ask them, how much should we give,
oh, they only answer, more, more, more, yoh,

It ain't me, it ain't me,
I ain't no military son,
It ain't me, it ain't me,
I ain't no fortunate one,

It ain't me, it ain't me,
I ain't no fortunate one, no no no,
It ain't me, it ain't me,
I ain't no fortunate son, no no no,

- John C, Fogerty



To: stockman_scott who wrote (57618)10/28/2004 9:29:46 PM
From: Ron  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 89467
 
Halliburton scandal unfolding further... yes HALLIBURTON:

Halliburton Faces Probe Over No-Bid Contracts

Associated Press
October 28, 2004 6:38 p.m.

WASHINGTON -- The Federal Bureau of Investigation has begun investigating whether the Pentagon improperly awarded no-bid contracts to Halliburton Co., seeking an interview with a top Army contracting officer and collecting documents from several government offices.

The line of inquiry expands an earlier FBI investigation into whether Halliburton overcharged taxpayers for fuel in Iraq, and it elevates to a criminal matter the election-year question of whether the Bush administration showed favoritism to Vice President Dick Cheney's former company.

FBI agents this week sought permission to interview Bunnatine Greenhouse, the Army Corps of Engineers' chief contracting officer who went public last weekend with allegations that her agency unfairly awarded a Halliburton subsidiary no-bid contracts worth billions of dollars in Iraq, according to documents obtained by the Associated Press.

Asked about the documents, Ms. Greenhouse's lawyers said Thursday their client will cooperate but that she wants whistleblower protection from Pentagon retaliation. "I think it [the FBI interview request] underscores the seriousness of the misconduct, and it also demonstrates how courageous Ms. Greenhouse was for stepping forward," said Stephen Kohn, one of her attorneys.

"The initiation of an FBI investigation into criminal misconduct will help restore public confidence," Mr. Kohn said. "The Army must aggressively protect Ms. Greenhouse from the retaliation she will encounter as a result of blowing the whistle on this misconduct."

FBI agents also began collecting documents from Army offices in Texas and elsewhere in recent weeks to examine how and why Halliburton got the no-bid work in places like Iraq.

"The Corps is absolutely cooperating with the FBI, and it has been an ongoing effort," said Army Corps spokeswoman Carol Sanders. "Our role is to cooperate. It's a public contract and public funds. We've been providing them information for quite a while."

Wendy Hall, a Halliburton spokeswoman, said the company is cooperating with various investigations, but she dismissed the latest revelation as election politics. She noted Congress's auditing arm, the Government Accountability Office, found the company's no-bid work in Iraq was legal.

"The old allegations have once again been recycled, this time one week before the election," Ms. Hall said. "The GAO said earlier this year that the contract was properly awarded because Halliburton was the only contractor that could do the work.

"We look forward to the end of the election, because no matter who is elected president, Halliburton is proud to serve the troops just as we have for the past 60 years for both Democrat and Republican administrations," she said.
www.wsj.com
--------------------------
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The FBI has asked to interview a whistle-blowing Army contracting official as part of an investigation into billions of dollars of Iraq-related contracts awarded to Halliburton Co., her lawyer said on Thursday.

Bunnatine Greenhouse, the Army Corps of Engineers' chief contracting officer, went public this week with complaints that U.S. officials improperly favored Halliburton unit Kellogg Brown and Root for work in Iraq and the Balkans.

Bunnatine's attorney Michael Kohn said he was seeking to make sure that Greenhouse was given protection as a whistle-blower before she meets the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

The FBI declined comment. A spokeswoman for the Corps of Engineers, Carol Sanders, said she knew nothing of an FBI investigation.

Halliburton, run by Dick Cheney before he became U.S. vice president, is bogged down in a billing dispute over its logistics work in Iraq involving everything from feeding troops to delivering fuel.

Cheney ran Houston, Texas-based Halliburton from 1995 to 2000. The company's work in Iraq has become a target for the Democrats ahead of the presidential election Tuesday.

Halliburton spokeswoman Wendy Hall said the company was working with all investigations related to the delivery of fuel to Iraq under its contract with the army.

The "old allegations" raised by Greenhouse had once again been recycled ahead of the election, she said. In filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Halliburton previously disclosed a related U.S. Justice Department investigation.

Kohn said he understood from the FBI it had launched its investigation into KBR's Iraq-related work before Greenhouse complained of "repeated interference" in the award of Halliburton contracts.

At issue, among other things, was a no-bid contract worth up to $7 billion given to KBR to rebuild Iraq's shattered oil industry in March 2003.

This deal, along with one to feed and house U.S. troops in the Balkans, put at risk "the integrity of the federal contracting program," lawyers for Greenhouse said in a letter to Acting Army Secretary Les Brownlee made public this week.

A draft Army audit last December found the company overcharged by about $61 million to bring fuel into Iraq. The investigation later moved to the Justice Department.
reuters.com