SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Formerly About Advanced Micro Devices -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Peter Dierks who wrote (209071)10/28/2004 1:07:58 PM
From: tejek  Respond to of 1574005
 
380 Tons Becomes 3 Tons


I don't think so!

****************************************************
Last Update: Friday, October 29, 2004. 0:50am (AEST)

IAEA defends missing explosives report

A report on the amount of conventional explosives missing from an Iraqi storage site did not overstate the stockpile's size as a US media report suggests, the UN nuclear watchdog says.

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) had said that 342 tonnes of high explosives had disappeared from a site near Baghdad.


Iraq told the IAEA the explosives at the sprawling Al Qaqaa military facility had gone missing through theft and looting due to lack of security after the US-led invasion.

But ABC News (America) reports that confidential IAEA documents show that on January 14, 2003, UN inspectors found just over three tons of one type of explosive, RDX.

That inspection was conducted before the war began.

"The bulk of the RDX was stored at another site that was under Al Qaqaa's jurisdiction," IAEA spokeswoman Melissa Fleming said.

She says that the report seen by ABC only covers the Al Qaqaa site itself.

The second site, Al Mahaweel, is roughly 45 kilometres from Al Qaqaa.


"They (Iraq) considered that site part of Al Qaqaa and that's how it was always declared," she said.

"IAEA inspectors inventoried that site on January 15, 2003," the day after the Al Qaqaa inspection reported by ABC.

RDX is one of three types of explosive at the Al Qaqaa site that arms experts say could potentially be used to make a detonator for a nuclear bomb, blow up an airplane or building, or in numerous other military and civilian applications.

However, Ms Fleming says it is possible that the Iraqi report on missing explosives overstated the amount of RDX by 10 tons because it did not take account of an earlier Iraqi statement that that amount had been used for civilian purposes.

The IAEA has yet to verify the Iraqi statements because it has been barred from most of Iraq since the war.

It has watched from afar as the former nuclear sites it once monitored have been stripped by looters.

abc.net.au



To: Peter Dierks who wrote (209071)10/28/2004 1:12:08 PM
From: Suma  Respond to of 1574005
 
IRAQ
Breaking All the Sprouls

The White House has been unable to explain how 380 tons of powerful explosives
disappeared under its watch in Iraq, and has instead tried to deflect blame with
a series of excuses. None of them hold up. Read this new document
(http://www.americanprogressaction.org/site/pp.asp?c=klLWJcP7H&b=234230) from
American Progress for the full story.

EXCUSE #1 -- THEY WERE GONE WHEN WE GOT THERE: Administration spokesman Dan
Senor said on CNN that "there's a very high probability that those weapons
weren't even there (http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0410/26/pzn.01.html)
before the war." All the evidence, however, suggests the opposite. In an Oct. 25
AP story, a Pentagon official said, "US-led coalition troops had searched Al
Qaqaa in the immediate aftermath of the March 2003 invasion and confirmed that
the explosives, which had been under IAEA seal since 1991, were intact
(http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1098677410357)
." According to Today's New York Times, after U.S. troops came through, Iraqis
on the scene in Al Qaqaa " described an orgy of theft
(http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/28/international/middleeast/28bomb.html?oref=login&oref=login)
" as the sensitive military site was picked clean by looters. Iraq's top science
official, Mohammed al-Sharaa, confirmed these reports, saying, "It is impossible
that these materials could have been taken from this site before the regime's
fall. The officials that were inside this facility (Al Qaqaa) beforehand
confirm that not even a shred of paper left it before the fall
(http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200410/s1229343.htm) ."

EXCUSE #2 -- WE DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT IT: One White House strategy has been to
simply plead ignorance. White House spokesman Scott McClellan said, "We were
informed on October 15th. Condi Rice was informed days after that. This is all
in the last, what, 10 days now.
(http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/10/20041025-1.html) " What they're
not talking about: The New York Times reported that Iraqi officials say they
warned Paul Bremer, the American head of the occupation authority, that Al Qaqaa
had probably been looted in May 2004, six months ago
(http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/25/international/middleeast/25bomb.html?ei=5094&en=61cf6e1aa29b7871&hp=&ex=1098676800&partner=homepage&pagewanted=all&position=)
.

EXCUSE #3 -- WE'VE SECURED LOTS OF OTHER MUNITIONS: White House Press Secretary
Scott McClellan tried to minimize the importance of the 380 tons of explosives
that went missing, saying, "400,000 tons of munitions have been seized or
destroyed (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/10/20041027-3.html) by
coalition forces." But McClellan is comparing apples to oranges. The 400,000
tons the White House cites refers to munitions -- including guns and ammunition.
Pound for pound, the 380 tons of explosives are much, much more powerful. For
example, "the bomb that brought down Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland,
in 1988 used less than a pound
(http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/25/international/middleeast/25bomb.html?oref=login&ei=5094&en=61cf6e1aa29b7871&hp=&ex=1098676800&partner=homepage&pagewanted=all&position=)
of the same type of material." By that math, the size of the explosives cache
looted would be enough to bring down 760,000 planes.

EXCUSE #4 -- THE NBC STORY: The Bush campaign spun an NBC News story in an
attempt to bolster its excuse, charging, " NBC Nightly News
(http://www.georgewbush.com/KerryMediaCenter/Read.aspx?ID=4097) later reported
that on April 10, 2003, one day after Iraq was liberated, US troops entered Al
Qaqaa and did not find the explosives." NBC News, however, resisted that
characterization. What the network actually said: "Military officials tell NBC
News that on April 10, 2003, when the Second Brigade of the 101st Airborne
entered the Al Qaqaa weapons facility, south of Baghdad, that those troops were
actually on their way to Baghdad, that they were not actively involved in the
search for any weapons
(http://mediamatters.org/static/video/msnbclive-200410260007.wmv) , including
the high explosives, HMX and RDX...And because the Al Qaqaa facility is so huge,
it's not clear that those troops from the 101st were actually anywhere near the
bunkers that reportedly contained the HMX and RDX."

REALITY -- ADMINISTRATION WAS WARNED: In a blistering op-ed in the Boston Globe,
former Ambassador Peter Galbraith describes the widespread looting of sensitive
materials in Iraq as a " preventable disaster
(http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2004/10/27/eyewitness_to_a_failure_in_iraq/)
." Iraq's sensitive material was stored in only a few known locations, all of
which were closely monitored by the international community. U.S. troops,
however, were not given any relevant intelligence about these sites from the
White House and there was never a plan in place to secure them after the
invasion. According to Lt. Col. Fred Wellman, spokesman for one of the first
units to reach Al Qaqaa, " orders were not given
(http://www.nti.org/d_newswire/issues/2004_10_27.html#3FE6EBD1) from higher to
search or to secure the facility or to search for [explosives]." Iraqi witnesses
to looting at Al Qaqaa also say Al Qaqaa "employees asked the Americans to
protect the site but were told this was not the soldiers' responsibility
(http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/28/international/middleeast/28bomb.html?oref=login&oref=login)
."