SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : WAR on Terror. Will it engulf the Entire Middle East? -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: lorne who wrote (8010)11/17/2004 10:00:08 PM
From: Scoobah  Respond to of 32591
 
Lebanon anticipates Israeli offensive to halt rocket attacks; the War on Terror is spreading..............

Lebanon: Katyusha fire is terror; sets roadblocks in south

By Amos Harel and Yoav Stern, Haaretz Correspondents



Lebanese Information Minister Eli Firzli on Wednesday called Katyusha fire terrorism, and said that the army has erected roadblocks in the southern part of the country in order to deter militants from firing the rockets across the border with Israel.




In an interview to the London-based A-Shark al Awsat newspaper, Firzli said the Katyusha fire was terrorism and that whoever was behind it was responsible for the anticipated Israeli offensive in Lebanon.

Two Katyusha rockets were fired at Israel on Monday night, by a previously unknown Lebanese group. One of the rockets fell in the sea off the Lebanese coast, and the second landed close to the northern town of Shlomi. There were no injuries or damage caused. Hezbollah denied any connection to the strike.

There has been no Israel Defense Forces response to the rocket attack.

Missile fire on civilian targets in the Western Galilee mainly stopped with the IDF withdrawal from southern Lebanon in May 2000, although a Palestinian group fired a Katyusha at the area three weeks ago.

Senior IDF officers and ministers agreed Monday night - in the immediate aftermath of the rocket attack - that Israel could not allow a resumption of regular missile strikes from Lebanon, a sentiment echoed Tuesday by Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom and Deputy Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.

"There is a party responsible [for the attack], and that is the Lebanese government first and foremost. If they don't stop it by themselves - they will pay the price. I'm not interested whether it's Hezbollah or not. Even if it's some fleeting Palestinian group who fired [the rockets] - Lebanon is responsible."