SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Sioux Nation -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: techguerrilla who wrote (1715)11/19/2004 12:54:04 PM
From: Mannie  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 361303
 
Sec. Colin PowellPowell's Iran Nuke Info Questioned
* Source Reportedly Produced More Than 1,000 Pages Of Documents

kutv.com

Nov 19, 2004 8:10 am US/Mountain
WASHINGTON (CBS) Secretary of State Colin Powell's assertion that Iran was trying to fit missiles to carry nuclear weapons was based on the unverified claims of a single source, the Washington Post reported Friday.
The newspaper, citing two unidentified U.S. officials, described the source as a "walk-in" who produced more than 1,000 pages of documents, including plans to modify Iranian missiles to carry atomic warheads. One official told the newspaper the CIA was uncertain about the authenticity of the documents and how the "walk-in" obtained them.
Separately, the Los Angeles Times quoted an unidentified source as saying the Powell intelligence was weak. Some White House officials "were surprised he went public on something that was weak and, because it was weak, was not supposed to be used," the source told the Times.
The Times said Powell's apparently unscripted remarks about Iran on Wednesday appeared to catch the White House off guard.
Powell partially confirmed claims by an Iranian opposition group that Tehran is deceiving the United Nations and is attempting to secretly continue activities meant to give it atomic arms by next year.
"I have seen intelligence which would corroborate what this dissident group is saying," Powell told reporters Wednesday as he traveled to the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in Santiago. "And it should be of concern to all parties."
Pressed by reporters on the intelligence reports, Powell said the intelligence indicates that Iran "had been actively working on delivery systems" capable of carrying a nuclear weapon.
Powell said there is no evidence to suggest that Iran has developed the technology to make a nuclear weapon, but suggested that the regime is working to adapt missiles for nuclear warheads.
"I'm talking about information that says that they not only had these missiles, but I'm aware of information that suggests they were working hard as to how to put the two together," Powell said.
Iran on Thursday denied allegations that it was working on atomic weapons and trying to fit missiles to carry nuclear warheads.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi said the claims by the United States and an Iranian dissident group were intended to damage Tehran's relations with Europe and the U.N. nuclear agency.
"The claims are raised to destroy the positive atmosphere that resulted from the Paris Agreement," Asefi was quoted as saying by the official Islamic Republic News Agency.
Earlier this week, after negotiations with Britain, France and Germany, Iran announced it would suspend uranium enrichment activities in return for European guarantees that Iran has the right to pursue a peaceful nuclear program.
The next day, an official with the National Council for Resistance in Iran — considered a terrorist group by the United States and the European Union — said Tehran was deceiving the United Nations and attempting to secretly continue activities meant to give it atomic arms by next year.



To: techguerrilla who wrote (1715)11/19/2004 5:32:00 PM
From: SiouxPal  Respond to of 361303
 
November 19th, 2004 12:45 pm
US 'to blame' for journalist deaths (video account)

From correspondents in Lisbon, Portugal / Herald Sun

THE global managing editor of British news agency Reuters said today the US military was entirely to blame for the deaths of three of its employees in Iraq since the start of the war there in March 2003, an allegation disputed by the Pentagon.

"All of them were killed by the American army," Reuters chief David Schlesinger told reporters on the sidelines of a media conference in the southern Portuguese resort of Vilamoura, Portuguese national news agency Lusa reported.

"There is no understanding on the part of the US military regarding the exercise of journalism," he said, according to the agency.

"We can't run the risk that journalists will become targets (in Iraq). We must learn the lessons from these tragic cases."

Two Reuters photographers and a cameraman are among the more than 60 war-related deaths of media workers recorded in Iraq.

The most recent death occurred in the Iraqi city of Ramadi on November 1.

The US military said a cameraman killed there while on assignment for Reuters died in a gunbattle between marines and insurgents, but the Iraqi man's colleagues and family have said they believe he was shot by a US sniper.

Another Reuters cameraman, a Ukrainian citizen, was killed in April 2003 when a US army tank fired on the Palestine Hotel in Baghdad.

A cameraman from Spain's Telecinco television network was also killed in the strike, which injured three other reporters.

In October 2003 a Palestinian cameraman for Reuters was killed near Abu Ghraib prison during a shootout.

The US military has denied direct responsibility for those deaths as well.

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman told the media conference via satellite from Washington that those incidents were inevitable in a war.

"Media coverage in places of conflict is always dangerous," Lusa quoted him as saying.

He put the blame for the two deaths at the Palestine Hotel on Iraqi troops resisting the US invasion, whom he accused of using civilian structures for military purposes, leading to confusion about what is a legitimate target.

Journalists at the Palestine Hotel, including many working for US-based organisations, had informed US military authorities that they were using the hotel as a base.

Video of Iraqi man's account.