SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Liberalism: Do You Agree We've Had Enough of It? -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: lorne who wrote (1199)1/19/2005 7:05:13 PM
From: lorne  Respond to of 224720
 
Reno man sentenced to probation for Islamic threats

Tuesday, January 18, 2005
sfgate.com

A Nevada insurance broker accused of sending threatening e-mail to a Washington, D.C.-based Islamic civil rights group has been sentenced to one year probation.

Dale T. Ehrgott of Reno was indicted by a federal grand jury last year on charges of threatening members of the Council on American-Islamic Relations in retaliation for terrorist attacks on Americans.

"You have taught us much about terrorism so get ready to be the receiver," read one e-mail sent in 2003, according to case records.

After his indictment was made public, Ehrgott told The Associated Press he meant no harm.

"It wasn't a threat, just a nasty e-mail," Ehrgott told the AP at the time.

Under an agreement with the U.S. Attorney's Office, Ehrgott pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of interfering with federally protected activities.

Besides probation, he also must perform 50 hours of community service under the sentence imposed Jan. 13 by U.S. Magistrate Robert McQuaid.

Arsalan Iftikhar, legal affairs director for the Islamic group, praised prosecutors for the their handling of the case.

"Threats of physical violence, unlike legitimate public debate, must never be tolerated," he said.

Iftikhar added, "All such threatening messages will be turned over to federal authorities for investigation."