SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : WAR on Terror. Will it engulf the Entire Middle East? -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: lorne who wrote (8830)3/10/2005 11:41:41 PM
From: Sully-  Respond to of 32591
 
Condi: US View of Hizballah Has Not Changed

Little Green Footballs

Responding to the New York Times article I was skeptical about earlier today, Condoleezza Rice said this afternoon that the United States’ view of the Hizballah terrorist organization has not changed.

<<<

MEXICO CITY (AFP) - US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said the US still considers Hezbollah a “terrorist” organization despite the group showing its major political influence in Lebanon this week with a huge demonstration in Beirut.

“The American view of Hezbollah has not changed,” Rice told reporters on a plane bound for Mexico.
>>>

She also warned that terrorists are trying to enter the US through the southern border.

<<<

“Indeed we have from time to time had reports about al-Qaida trying to use our southern border but also trying to use our northern border,” Rice told reporters. “There is no secret that al-Qaida will try to get into this country and into other countries by any means they possibly can.

”That’s how they managed to do it before and they will do everything that they can to cross the borders,“ she said.

Recent intelligence from current investigations, detentions and other sources suggests that al-Qaida has considered using the Southwest border to infiltrate the United States, according to testimony from a top Homeland Security Department official last month before the Senate Intelligence Committee.

”Several al-Qaida leaders believe operatives can pay their way into the country through Mexico, and also believe illegal entry is more advantageous than legal entry for operational security reasons,“ James Loy, deputy secretary at the time, said in his testimony. ...

Rice said progress has been made in securing the border since Sept. 11, 2001. But she also said the United States is obligated to alert its citizens of concerns.

”We and the Mexicans have a robust dialogue about border security, and I believe we’re going to continue to have that,“ she said. ”This is not a matter of pointing fingers. This is a matter of really trying to get the best possible coordination and work that we can so that there’s safety for citizens in both countries, on both sides of the border."
>>>

littlegreenfootballs.com



To: lorne who wrote (8830)3/11/2005 11:18:37 AM
From: Scoobah  Respond to of 32591
 
Well this explains the article in the NY Times better; it was a trial ballon overheard at the UN.