SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Sioux Nation -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: altair19 who wrote (19252)5/27/2005 2:19:44 PM
From: Skywatcher  Respond to of 361261
 
that's close to C squared!....
let's turn this screwed up goverment around and get back to being the country of ALL



To: altair19 who wrote (19252)6/3/2005 7:35:12 PM
From: stockman_scott  Respond to of 361261
 
Advocates see veterans of war on terror joining the ranks of the homeless

By Leo Shane III
Stars and Stripes
Mideast edition
Thursday, June 2, 2005
estripes.com

WASHINGTON — Advocates for the homeless already are seeing veterans from the war on terror living on the street, and say the government must do more to ease their transition from military to civilian life.

Linda Boone, executive director of the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans, said about 70 homeless veterans who fought in Iraq and Afghanistan contacted her group’s facilities in 2004, and another 125 homeless veterans from those conflicts last year petitioned the Department of Veterans Affairs for assistance.

“It’s not a big wave, but it’s an indicator that we still haven’t done our job,” she said. “I think that our nation would be very embarrassed if they knew that.”

The group, founded in 1990, is a national network of charitable organizations designed to provide resources and aid for homeless veterans.

Veterans Affairs officials estimate that about 250,000 veterans are homeless on any given night, and another 250,000 experience homelessness at some point.

Boone said the reasons behind the veterans’ housing problems are varied: Some have emotional and mental issues from their combat experience, some have trouble finding work after leaving the military, some have health care bills which result in financial distress.

George Basher, director of the New York State Department of Veterans Affairs, said he believes guardsmen and reservists are particularly at risk because they often bypass resources like the Transition Assistance Program when they return home.

“Those are the ones most likely to have private health insurance, so they’re likely to show up at an HMO looking for treatment and not a VA hospital,” he said. “There’s no central place for treatment.”

Still, Pete Dougherty, coordinator for the Veterans’ Affairs Department's homeless programs, said veterans today have more options — outpatient facilities, counselors, job training programs — than the troops returning from the Vietnam War.

“Most of the folks we’re seeing now are worried about losing their homes and think they won’t be able to afford to stay in them,” he said. “Before, the vets were out there but were unseen and unnoticed. Now we can reach out and make a difference sooner.”

But Boone added that most veterans don’t seek help for mental and emotional problems for years after their return from combat, meaning the problem of homelessness among war on terror veterans will likely grow.

“We’re still going to have homeless veterans because we haven’t tackled how to deal with the separation issue,” she said.

For more information on resources for homeless veterans, call (800) VET-HELP or visit www.nchv.org.



To: altair19 who wrote (19252)6/9/2005 3:06:23 PM
From: stockman_scott  Respond to of 361261
 
DOWNING STREET MEMO: MoveOn.org is helping to drown the President in Downing Street inquiries:

moveonpac.org

So far, about 250,000 have signed the letter. Please do so today!

Let's give George Bush a message he can't escape: "YOU'RE FIRED!"



To: altair19 who wrote (19252)6/10/2005 12:17:39 PM
From: stockman_scott  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 361261
 
Deep Throat II

reformer.com

Article Published: Friday, June 10, 2005 - 2:15:51 AM EST

The frenzy over "Deep Throat" is fading. The hosannas over the brief, shining moment in history when reporters did their jobs and brought down a corrupt president are dying down.

Perhaps now, we can return to the present day and the multitude of opportunities that exist for latter-day Woodwards and Bernsteins to shine.

Granted, over the last three decades, journalists have become more timid and deferential to power. We need a few good journalists, ones who don't care what the power-brokers think of them, monitoring both sides of the political fence.

At the top of the to-do list is the Bush administration's decision to invade Iraq under false pretenses, a tarnish on America's reputation that has trapped U.S. forces in a Vietnam-style quagmire for years to come and took away the need for a real war on the terrorists and Osama bin Laden.

The Bush administration wanted this war well before the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. We now have the proof -- the "Downing Street Memo" leaked to the Times of London a few weeks ago.

The memo, from MI-6 head Richard Dearlove (the British equivalent of CIA director), was from a meeting with the Bush administration in July 2002. According to Dearlove, the Bush administration was determined to attack Iraq even though there was no evidence of weapons of mass destruction, no evidence of links to foreign terrorists, and no evidence that Iraq posed a direct or indirect threat to the United States.

Everything the Bush administration said in the months before the invasion was a lie -- the tales of aluminum tubes destined for missile production, mobile chemical weapons labs, importation of uranium from Niger, unmanned drone planes to deliver biological weapons. Every word of it.

Nearly 1,700 American soldiers and more than 100,000 Iraqi civilians are now dead because of these lies. As bad as the crimes committed by the Nixon administration during Watergate were, they pale beside the bigger crime of duping a nation into going to war.

All this is well documented and sitting in public view. There's no need for a Deep Throat, just someone who can connect the dots and say that President Bush and his administration are guilty of crimes against the Constitution -- crimes so numerous and so great that impeachment proceedings should begin immediately.

Even if impeachment is politically impossible, the Bush administration must be held accountable for this illegal and immoral war. Only the press, aided by an informed and aroused citizenry, can do this. It won't bring back the dead, but it might restore our national reputation and extricate our forces from an unwinnable war.

So who wants to be the next Woodward and Bernstein? Who wants to be the next Ben Bradlee? Who wants to be the next Deep Throat? Who wants to reclaim the truth and our nation's honor from the hands of scheming men? A nation is waiting for a few good men and women who aren't afraid to step forward and accept this challenge.



To: altair19 who wrote (19252)6/10/2005 4:09:18 PM
From: stockman_scott  Respond to of 361261
 
Where is the Antiwar Movement?

By Scott McConnell*

Posted at 12:50 PM -- 6/10/05

I hadn’t actually believed the Bush administration would be so stupid as to invade Iraq; an idiot could perceive that when you have a fundamentalist terror groups at war with you, attacking one of Arab world’s more secular governments (however distasteful) is a bad idea. I was wrong; I had failed to appreciate the degree to which Bush found his calling in the notion of himself as a Christian warrior avenger, the extent to which he heeded the neocons in his administration as opposed to the “realists” from his father’s, how much Cheney and Rumsfeld had bought into the world view of Paul Wolfowitz and Michael Ledeen. The Bush administration, which may initially have seemed the most conventionally Waspish group to hold the presidency in decades, was ripe for conversion to Weekly Standard radicalism.

And now we must face the fact that he’s getting away with it. No, not winning in Iraq, of course; Arabs are pretty good at resisting occupation. But getting away with it in American domestic politics. There is no antiwar movement to speak of on the campuses, in the streets, or in Congress—this for a war far more misguided than Vietnam. Howard Dean–who has hardly smoothed his rough edges—now never speaks about the war, perhaps a testament to its popularity among his party’s major donors. To hear an antiwar voice in the Senate, we had to import George Galloway!

I pray to be proven wrong—yearn for 300 antiwar candidates of Right and Left to mount primary campaigns against incumbents in both parties next year, yearn for a more sensible version of 1968 in the streets. (What chance of that when I can’t roust my own daughters away from “Gilmore Girls”?)

Without an antiwar movement, Bush will keep pushing. He’s in his own bubble of righteousness, and the skeptics in his cabinet and the military have been purged. Apart from the blogosphere and few magazines, there is no antiwar movement. There are no Christians speaking from the venerable Just War tradition. The fiery and eloquent radical Jews of yore are the other side. This has got to change. Without a peace movement as a brake, we will soon be attacking Syria and Iran and the chance to avoid a real war of civilizations will be gone. Bush will go down in history as the forever war president, and Americans will be big losers.

huffingtonpost.com

_________________________________________

*Scott McConnell founded The American Conservative with Pat Buchanan and Taki Theodoracopulos in 2002. A Ph.D.in history from Columbia University, he was formerly the editorial page editor of the New York Post and has been a columnist for Antiwar.com and New York Press. His work has been published in Commentary, Fortune, National Review, The New Republic, and many other publications.



To: altair19 who wrote (19252)6/16/2005 9:23:01 PM
From: stockman_scott  Respond to of 361261
 
Generation Y's Silent Protest

commondreams.org