SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Sioux Nation -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Patricia Trinchero who wrote (28865)7/17/2005 10:35:01 PM
From: T L Comiskey  Respond to of 363091
 
Last Updated: Monday, 18 July, 2005, 01:18 GMT 02:18 UK



Resistance in Iraq 'legitimate'

The radical young cleric has a band of loyal followers
Moqtada Sadr, the radical Iraqi Shia cleric whose militia led uprisings against US troops in Najaf has told the BBC armed "resistance is legitimate".
Speaking to Newsnight, Mr Sadr said that even US President George W Bush would agree that fighting an occupation force was a correct course of action.

However, he did call upon Iraqis to exercise restrain with US troops.

And said he would not interfere with the democratic process, saying "Whoever wants to take part, let him do so".

"Resistance is legitimate at all levels be it religious, intellectual and so on," Mr Sadr said.

"The first person who would acknowledge this is the so-called American President Bush who said `if my country is occupied, I will fight'."

Call for restraint

In the past Mr Sadr has called for a national rebellion against foreign troops and sent out his militiamen, the Mehdi Army, to confront the "invaders" and Iraqi police.

However, speaking in the interview to be broadcast on Monday night, Mr Sadr said he believed "America does not want confrontation".

The occupation in itself is a problem, Iraq not being independent is the problem, and the other problems stem from that - from sectarianism to civil war

Moqtada Sadr

"So I call upon other parties like the Iraqi army and the Iraqi police to exercise self-restraint with Iraqi people and not be provoked into them or the occupying forces as this isn't in the interest of Iraq," he said.

"I also call on the Iraqi people to exercise restraint and not get enmeshed in the plans of the West or plans of the occupation that wants to provoke them."

Mr Sadr argued that it is the presence of foreign troops which is the cause of Iraq's current problems.

"The occupation in itself is a problem. Iraq not being independent is the problem. And the other problems stem from that - from sectarianism to civil war," he said. "The entire American presence causes this."

Refusal to engage

Iraq is set to have a new constitution unveiled on 15 August, but Mr Sadr, who is a figurehead for many of Iraq's poor Shia Muslims, said he would not play any part in drafting that constitution or take on and official political role as long as the US troops remain.

"I personally shall not interfere. I say that our constitution is the Koran and the Sunnah and I refuse any political role while the occupation is present." he said, although adding that he would not stop any others participating.

The interview, Mr Sadr's first ever interview with Western media, was done on the last two weeks.

Newsnight's interview with Moqtada Sadr will be broadcast at 2230 BST on Monday 18 July.




To: Patricia Trinchero who wrote (28865)7/18/2005 12:22:11 AM
From: SiouxPal  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 363091
 
Top Cheney Aide Among Sources in CIA Story

By PETE YOST, Associated Press Writer
Sun Jul 17, 1:23 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Vice President Dick Cheney's top aide was among the sources for a Time magazine reporter's story about the identity of a CIA officer, the reporter said Sunday.
ADVERTISEMENT

Until last week, the White House had insisted for nearly two years that vice presidential chief of staff Lewis Libby and presidential adviser Karl Rove were not involved in the leaks of CIA officer Valerie Plame's identity.

The White House refused last week to repeat those assertions when it was revealed that Rove had told Time reporter Matt Cooper that the wife of Bush administration critic Joseph Wilson apparently works at the CIA and that she had authorized his trip to Africa. The CIA dispatched Wilson to check out a report that the government of Niger had sold yellowcake uranium to Iraq for nuclear weapons.

Cooper said on NBC's "Meet the Press" that he spoke to Libby after first learning about Wilson's wife from Rove.

According to Cooper, Libby and Rove were among the government officials referred to in Cooper's subsequent Time story that said Wilson's wife was a CIA official and that she was involved in sending her husband on a trip to Africa.

Cooper's article was headlined, "A War on Wilson?"

On Sunday, Cooper also said there may have been other sources for that information. He declined to elaborate.

In a first-person account in the latest issue of Time, Cooper said Rove ended their telephone conversation with the words, "I've already said too much." Cooper speculated that Rove could have been worried about being indiscreet or "it could have meant he was late for a meeting or something else."

Republicans are responding to the revelations about Rove's role in the leak by saying that the deputy White House chief of staff first heard about Wilson's wife from a reporter.

The chairman of the Republican National Committee, Ken Mehlman, told NBC that the disclosure about getting the information from a reporter vindicates Rove and that Democrats who have called for Rove's dismissal should apologize.

But John Podesta, former White House chief of staff in the Clinton administration, said the White House's assurance in 2003 that Rove was not involved in the leak "was a lie." Rove's credibility "is in shreds," said Podesta, who appeared with Mehlmen.

news.yahoo.com