SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : WAR on Terror. Will it engulf the Entire Middle East? -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Scoobah who wrote (9825)8/25/2005 5:42:02 PM
From: paret  Respond to of 32591
 
Terror rockets fly from Gaza
WorldNetDaily ^ | August 25, 2005 | Aaron Klein

Driving home fears Palestinian terror groups will use land gained by Israel's Gaza evacuation to launch rockets deeper inside the Jewish state, two Qassams today were fired at western Negev towns as Israeli troops prepared the Gaza Strip for handover in the next few weeks.

One rocket hit the populated Negev town of Sderot, about 10 miles outside Gaza's Gush Katif slate of former Jewish communities. Another landed in an open field just outside Sderot. The Popular Resistance Committees terror group in Gaza – made up of Fatah, Hamas and Islamic Jihad militants – claimed responsibility for the attack.

The Israeli Defense Forces so far has not responded to the attack, prompting Sderot's mayor to file a complaint with Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's office. Mayor Eli Moyal said Sharon previously warned rockets fired into the western Negev after Israel's Gaza evacuation would be met with a stern response.

Knesset Member Eli Yishai today told Israel National News the rockets fired at Sderot were just an “appetizer” for what is yet to come.

“Even before we have turned off the engines of uprooting and expulsion, our fears have proven true. The dream of an end to the season of Qassams has been shattered,” Yishai said.

Yishai called on Sharon to delay the Gaza handover to the Palestinian Authority until PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas commits publicly to stopping the firing of rockets on Israeli towns.

Israel today continued preparations for its military withdrawal from the area, bulldozing houses of former Jewish Gaza residents and announcing it will evacuate a Jewish graveyard starting Sunday. The army has stated it will likely depart from the Gaza Strip in the coming weeks.

Today's rocket attack coincides with a recent Hamas announcement the terror group will begin the next phase of its war to destroy the Jewish state by launching Qassam rockets further inside Israel instead of focusing on suicide bombings.

As WND reported, Hamas last month announced on its website: "Afula, Hadera, Beit She'an, Netanya, Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and other cities will all fall within the range of the Qassam rocket. ... The implication is that this rocket, which was previously looked upon with disdain by many, will serve as the weapon of choice in the coming period of time, as the acts of suicide martyrdom served as the weapon of choice during all the previous years."

The site continued: "From a technical standpoint, the Zionist army presently does not have any means to intercept an airborne Qassam rocket. The only possibility, therefore, of stopping the fire, if possible, is to strike the operating cells or the rockets themselves, a moment before they are launched.

"A pre-emptive strike against the attacking cell is a complicated and almost impossible affair. According to the assessments of the Zionist army, the members of the resistance bring the missiles in vans and unload them under the cover of agricultural activity. This makes them more difficult to expose. Furthermore, the time frame available to the Zionist forces is a quarter of an hour at the most. It takes that long for the resistance members to aim the rockets and activate them at a distance using an electronic timer. To foil the action, the army needs to keep combat helicopters in the air for 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It is, therefore, highly bothersome."

The Hamas site went on to explain that to fire on Jerusalem and other Israeli cities, the terror group doesn't need to improve the range of the current Qassam rocket it uses.

"Jerusalem and other cities will all fall within the range of the Qassam 1 rocket, and there will not even be need for the Qassam 2 rocket."

Israeli retaliatory raids will not establish deterrence against missile launchings, Hamas stated.

"The only solution, as far as the Zionist establishment is concerned, is severe retaliation for every Qassam rocket launched, in order to teach the Palestinians a lesson and make them think a thousand times before launching any kind of rocket. [But] have all the previous mass murders and the acts of hostility carried out as collective punishment quenched the fire of resistance, or, rather, have they served as a catalyst for the increasing sophistication of the creative methods of the resistance [factions]?"

Israeli security sources say Hamas has been using time gained from a cease-fire agreement signed in February by Abbas and Sharon to stockpile weapons and extend its Qassam manufacturing capabilities to Judea and Samaria.

In March, the Israeli Defense Forces destroyed a large Qassam laboratory in the Samarian village of Al-Yamoun. Earlier, the army arrested 11 members of a Hamas cell in Samaria who admitted during interrogation to producing Qassam rockets and constructing a laboratory for the manufacturing of heavy explosives.

Qassams are relatively unsophisticated steel rockets, about four feet in length, filled with explosives and fuel. The rockets lack a guidance system and are launched in nearby towns by terrorists who reportedly use the rocket's trajectory and known travel distance to aim at a particular Jewish community.

About 20 percent of Qassams do not explode upon impact.

"As far as rockets go, they may be low-tech, but if they land in a population center, they're incredibly deadly," Ami Shaked, chief security coordinator for Gaza's Jewish communities, told WND.

Of particular concern for the Israeli Defense Forces is the development of longer-range Qassam missiles that could strike Jerusalem if launched from certain West Bank areas.

In August 2003, a Qassam traveled 5 miles from the Gaza Strip into Israel and landed near Ashkelon, the farthest a Qassam rocket has penetrated.

Hamas also recently started manufacturing a new rocket, the Nasser 3, capable of reaching farther than even the updated Qassam, security sources said.



To: Scoobah who wrote (9825)8/25/2005 7:34:19 PM
From: lorne  Read Replies (3) | Respond to of 32591
 
Pentagon plans for 'long war' on terror
By Peter Spiegel
Published: August 24 2005
news.ft.com

The obstinacy of the Iraqi insurgency and the sudden surge in violence in Afghanistan may make it appear that the US military in the region is spending all of its time fighting a war on two fronts.


But senior officers within US Central Command, the Pentagon body responsible for the Middle East and surrounding regions, have already begun planning for what one top commander terms “the long war”: the battle that will come once Iraq and Afghanistan are finally pacified.

According to Major General Douglas Lute, who as director of operations for Centcom is responsible for near-term planning, the long war amounts to an offensive from the Horn of Africa to the borders of Afghanistan to ensure that al-Qaeda and its affiliated terror organisations do not find a safe haven once they are forced out of their current bases.

To Maj Gen Lute and his Centcom counterparts, the Iraqi insurgency which he argues is 90 per cent home-grown may prove a short-term challenge, but the growing threat from a loosely affiliated network of extremists runs the risk of causing more damage in the region, indeed worldwide.

“The broader fight for Central Command, while we deal with both those insurgencies, is against the extremist network,” he said. “This is the cellular, franchised, network-like structure where al-Qaeda holds the ideological standard bin Laden, al-Zawahiri are still the standard-bearers for the ideology but increasingly, we've seen beneath the umbrella of that ideology a loose, not-at-all hierarchical network of franchises, if you will, crop up that we believe constitute a regional and even global threat. “We call that the long war.”

On the most basic level, Maj Gen Lute said, that offensive was likely to include tracking Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the Jordanian militant who has emerged as a leader of the Iraqi insurgency, once the war in Iraq is over. To Centcom, Mr Zarqawi is not in Iraq to die for the cause, but rather to build on his network and take the fight to the entire region.

“We're concerned in our area of operations about what happens to Zarqawi when Iraq is stabilised, which we believe it eventually will be, and the path of least resistance takes Zarqawi somewhere else,” Maj Gen Lute said. “It is clear that even a network as I've described, which is not fundamentally state-based or state-sponsored, still requires some sort of physical sanctuary where they can organise themselves, train themselves, marshal forces, marshal assets, and then proceed from there.”

For Centcom planners, those safe havens are both physical and virtual. On the physical side, the main concerns lie in the Horn of Africa, where vast ungovernable spaces would provide ideal homes for Mr Zarqawi and his associates.

From Yemen across the Arabian Sea into Ethiopia, Somalia and Sudan, local forces have already seen stepped-up US efforts to train and strengthen elite counter-terrorist units to combat any al-Qaeda affiliate that might emerge. Their efforts also include work with border control and immigration agencies to modernise their approaches to tracking those moving across their borders.

But perhaps more interestingly, Maj Gen Lute noted that Centcom was increasingly looking to fight its campaign on the internet, where Islamic radicals have found ways to recruit, train, and raise funds for their cause. He said terror networks had become so sophisticated that they had begun to use otherwise prosaic commercial applications such as PayPal, the internet payment system, to collect donations to their cause.

“These guys are sophisticated in their use of what we call the virtual safe haven, the virtual sanctuary,” he said.

“One of the things that we are hot on right now is how to contest that virtually safe haven.”



To: Scoobah who wrote (9825)8/26/2005 9:54:48 AM
From: paret  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 32591
 
Dr. Uzi Arad: Disengagement Whetted World´s Appetite [for further withdrawls]
Arutz Sheva ^ | 8-27-05 | Ezra HaLevi

Dr. Uzi Arad claims that the Disengagement has stimulated heightened expectations from both the Americans and the Palestinian Authority for further unilateral Israeli withdrawals.

Arad, who heads the Institute for Policy and Strategy at the Herzliya Interdisciplinary Center, said in an interview with Arutz-7 that, "The Palestinian appetite has been awakened [by the Disengagement], and they see the evacuation of Gaza as a 'minimal advance' preceding the withdrawal from the entire Judea and Samaria."

The professor and seasoned strategist, who founded and chairs the annual Herzliya Conference where Prime Minister Ariel Sharon originally unveiled his Disengagement Plan, also says that the Disengagement has weakened Israel's bargaining position vis-a-vis the United States. He says that the unilateral steps taken while receiving nothing in return have undermined the previous Israeli position of "no movement without an achievement" - inviting American pressure for continued withdrawals. Dr. Arad does not even think that Israel will be given a grace period before being pressured from all sides to implement the next withdrawal. He cited the words of US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, who was already saying "It can not be Gaza only" immediately after the withdrawal began.

The Road Map, according to Dr. Arad, which preceded the Disengagement Plan, placed the burden of action against terror upon the Palestinian Authority and very little pressure upon Israel, since Israel was not required to destroy communities until the PA fulfilled its requirements. "As long as they did not fulfill their obligations - and they not only didn't, but promised they wouldn't - there was basically no formal requirement for Israel to do anything. When we moved the Road Map aside, however, and said we were prepared to carry out a one-sided, unconditional withdrawal, including settlements, we removed the pressure from the Palestinians and placed it upon us."

The next step, says Dr. Arad, is that the Quartet countries will meet in September and begin to put pressure on Israel to continue the withdrawals. It is possible they will delay the pressure until after Israeli elections, he says, but immediately thereafter they will demand "a pound of flesh." Arad added that although Sharon now claims that he is returning to the Road Map, and it is upon the PA to take action against terrorism, the Quartet will claim that he has "cut off the branch upon which he sits, by proving that he is able to take action when they do not."

As far as American pressure is concerned, Dr. Arad says that because of the war in Iraq, the US is under intense pressure to prove to the Arab world that they are acting in the Israeli arena and successfully extracting Israeli concessions. The current process, though, he fears, has merely whetted the Arab world's appetite.