SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Bush Administration's Media Manipulation--MediaGate? -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Peter Dierks who wrote (5263)9/26/2005 2:34:31 PM
From: Proud_Infidel  Read Replies (2) | Respond to of 9838
 
U.S. releases hundreds of Abu Ghraib detainees
Hopes that move will persuade Iraqis to vote in constitution referendum

Updated: 3:57 a.m. ET Sept. 26, 2005
ABU GHRAIB, Iraq - The U.S. military began on Monday to release 1,000 Iraqi detainees from Abu Ghraib prison at the request of the Iraqi government in honor of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

The first 500 prisoners were loaded onto Iraqi public buses and driven out of the notorious prison on Monday morning. The rest will be freed later this week, the U.S. military said.

Arab governments often pardon nonviolent offenders during the Ramadan, which is expected to begin on Oct. 4 or 5. Each year, the start of the holiday is decided by senior Muslim clerics after they sight the sliver of the moon appears in the sky.

But Monday's action, and the release of 1,000 other Abu Ghraib detainees last month, also appeared to be part of the Iraqi government's effort to persuade Iraqis to vote in the Oct. 15 national referendum on Iraq's draft constitution, especially the Sunni minority.

The U.S. government said it only releases detainees who are not guilty of serious, violent crimes -- such as bombing, torture, kidnapping, or murder -- and who have had admitted their crimes, renounced violence, "and pledged to be good citizens of a democratic Iraq."

But September's release of 1,000 detainees also came at the request of Sunni representatives taking part in then-stalled talks about the drafting of Iraq's new constitution. The officials asked the Iraqi government to start releasing thousands of prisoners who have been languishing in the jail for months without being charged with a crime.

Released prisoners mostly Sunni
At the time, President Jalal Talabani agreed to release many detainees before the Oct. 15 referendum on the constitution, the draft of which is now complete. Sunni negotiator Saleh al-Mutlaq said then that most of the detainees to be freed from Abu Ghraib would be Sunni Arabs.

When Saddam Hussein ruled Iraq, his Sunni majority held most of the power, but the current Iraqi government, elected last January, is mostly controlled by Kurds and majority Shiites since many Sunnis boycotted that vote.

Iraq's Sunni-led insurgency and Sunni religious and political leaders are calling for a boycott or a "no" vote in the Oct. 15 referendum. Many Sunnis believe the constitution will give too much power to Shiites living in southern Iraq and Kurds living in the north.

The Sunni Triangle in the center of Iraq, including Baghdad, is the location of most of the violence in Iraq's Sunni-led insurgency.

Abu Ghraib prison, built by Saddam's regime in the 1970s on the outskirts of Baghdad, was retained as a major detention center by the U.S. occupation authorities after the occupation of Iraq in 2003. It gained international notoriety after a number of U.S. military personnel were charged with humiliating and assaulting detainees at the facility.



To: Peter Dierks who wrote (5263)9/26/2005 8:48:11 PM
From: Skywatcher  Respond to of 9838
 
Think they'll put THIS on the front page?
AP: Report Warned of Hurricane Health Woes
By CHERYL WITTENAUER

Associated Press Writer

Eight months before the devastation of hurricanes Katrina and Rita, an internal Homeland Security Department review warned that the nation was woefully unprepared for a medical disaster and lacked a coherent plan for taking charge of mass casualties.


Monday, Sep. 26


Government medical teams had difficulty coordinating and delivering help during 2004 hurricanes in Florida, said the report obtained by The Associated Press. The report also said there was inadequate planning for dealing with a surge of patients during a disaster like a biological or nuclear attack.

It called for creation of a uniformed medical reserve corps, including specialists, fashioned after the National Guard.

``The nation's medical leadership works in isolation, its medical response capability is fragmented and ill-prepared to deal with a mass casualty event and ... DHS lacks an adequate medical support capability for its field operating units,'' said the report.

Homeland Security officials said the problems identified in the Jan. 3 report were in the process of being addressed when the hurricanes hit. Secretary Michael Chertoff was reorganizing his department and created a new chief medical officer to take the lead on preparedness, they said.

``I thought it (the report) was a great place to start,'' said Dr. Jeffrey Runge, the department's new medical officer who started his job after Katrina. ``Most people in the medical community who are concerned about readiness, preparedness, disaster medicine and so forth felt pretty much the same way.''

But the report's author, St. Louis transplant surgeon Jeffrey Lowell, told AP he doesn't believe DHS has implemented enough changes yet, and that the current system of volunteer disaster medical teams was ``pretty much shot'' when called upon to respond to a second disaster after Katrina.

Lowell also said he was startled when then-Federal Emergency Management Agency chief Mike Brown strongly rejected the ideas Lowell had proposed earlier this year. ``He rejected the methodology, the message, the conclusion and the recommendations,'' Lowell said. ``He disagreed with every single everything.''

Brown, who resigned from FEMA earlier this month amid blistering criticism of his stewardship of the government's response to Katrina, did not return repeated phone calls to his cell phone seeking comment.

Lowell said Brown didn't want him to give the report to then-Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge. But Lowell, who was hired by Ridge to conduct the review, said Ridge heartily welcomed its conclusions and recommendations.

``If people want to tweak it, great. Let's get on with this and move forward quickly,'' Lowell said, urging that more recommendations be implemented.

Chertoff took over a month after the report was issued and ordered a further review of medical preparedness. He then reorganized the department, creating a new undersecretary for preparedness and Runge's job.

``There are parts of that report that are absolutely unanimous with what the (medical) community has been saying, and other parts of the report that are very specific organizational things that are not really what Secretary Chertoff has in mind,'' Runge said.

The report, entitled ``Medical Readiness Responsibilities and Capabilities: A Strategy for Realigning and Strengthening the Federal Medical Response,'' concluded:

National Disaster Medical System teams often are deployed without full preparation for the disasters they are handling. ``Recent deployments to Florida following the 2004 hurricanes confirmed critical shortfalls in doctrine, training, logistics support and coordination.''

It was ``imperative'' that the department realign its resources and create the job of an assistant secretary of medical readiness.

Conflicts in legislation, a presidential directive and the National Response Plan must be reconciled to eliminate overlapping responsibilities and authorities - and questions about who takes charge. ``Politically adversarial turf wars between (Homeland Security) and (Health and Human Services) and similar battles between organizational units within DHS threaten DHS' ability to lead effective medical response in the event of a national medical event.''

There is ``significant concern'' that the government lacks a single coordination point for local emergency medical services in communities.

The nation lacks a ``systemwide strategy'' for handling a massive surge of patients. ``The ability to provide care to large numbers of casualties following a major incident remains one of the greater challenges and vulnerabilities,'' it said.

Elin Gursky, a public health and biodefense specialist at the Arlington, Va.-based think tank, ANSER, said the nation is ``quite conclusively'' not prepared to protect people from harm and mitigate disasters.

``We still don't know who's in charge, and until we do, people will hesitate to act. The assumption is that someone else is in charge,'' she said.

On the Net:

The executive summary of the report obtained by AP can be viewed at wid.ap.org

Homeland Security Department: dhs.gov