SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Technology Stocks : Apple Inc. -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Mick Mørmøny who wrote (60654)1/12/2007 9:23:01 AM
From: Mick Mørmøny  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 213186
 
U.S. said to probe Apple's Jobs' options
A former attorney contends she was instructed to create the false document, a published report says.

January 12 2007: 8:21 AM EST

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Federal authorities are investigating a backdated stock-option grant awarded to Apple Inc. Chief Executive Steve Jobs that carried a false October 2001 date, The Wall Street Journal reported Friday, citing people familiar with the matter.

Apple's (Charts) board approved the Oct. 19, 2001 grant at a meeting on Aug. 29, with an exercise price of $17.83. The final terms of the grant were set on Dec. 18, and the price was changed to $18.30. Apple shares were trading at $21.01 on that date.

The approval for the grant "was improperly recorded as occurring at a special board meeting on Oct. 19, 2001," Apple said in a filing on Dec. 29, 2006. "Such a special board meeting did not occur."

Apple took a $20 million charge for the grant, the company said, reflecting the difference between the grant price and the actual stock price on Dec. 18.

The Journal cited people familiar as saying that the false documentation was created by an Apple attorney named Wendy Howell, whom the company dismissed last month.

Howell contends that Apple's general counsel at the time, Nancy Heinen, instructed her to create the false documentation, the Journal cited sources as saying.

While at Apple, "Ms. Howell acted as instructed by Apple management and with the company's best interest being paramount," the Journal quoted Howell's attorney, Thomas Carlucci, as saying.

Howell was previously identified in an article posted on the Law.com Web site.

Carlucci and an Apple spokesman were not immediately available for comment. Howell could not be reached.

money.cnn.com