SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : The Truth About Islam -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: ExCane who wrote (8480)6/21/2007 7:00:42 AM
From: lorne  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 20106
 
islam at plaY?? how could any civilized peoples do this sort of thing...how could leaders of a country invite or allow citizens to participate (children included ?) in such a barbaric pratice....sick, sick, sick.

IRAN: WOMAN 'TO BE STONED' ON THURSDAY

adnki.com


Tehran, 20 June (AKI) - Makrameh Ebrahimi on Thursday will be stoned to death in a square in front of the cemetery of Takestan, in Ghazvin province some 100 km from Tehran, for having had a child out of wedlock 11 years ago, women's rights groups in Iran said. The Islamic Republic denies issuing stoning death sentences and carrying them out. Thursday's is the first death sentence by stoning to be publicly announced and rights groups say the population has been invited to participate and throw stones.

It is reportedly unclear how many stoning sentences have been issued and carried out in Iran since reports of a moratorium by the judiciary emerged in 2002.

The Iranian criminal code states that when stoning is carried out for offences such as adultery the stones should not be too large because "the punishment of stoning is designed to cause the victim great pain before death".

In Iran, the convicted person to be killed is wrapped in a sheet and partly buried. Male convicts are buried from the waist down, while women are buried deeper to prevent the breasts from becoming exposed.

Iran is second in a global ranking of countries with the highest number of executions per year after China.



To: ExCane who wrote (8480)6/21/2007 10:43:47 AM
From: DeplorableIrredeemableRedneck  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 20106
 
Seventh terror suspect flees while on control order

James Orr and agencies
Thursday June 21, 2007
Guardian Unlimited

A seventh terror suspect has disappeared while on a control order, the Home Office has announced today.
In a written statement to MPs, police minister Tony McNulty said the man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, vanished on Monday night. He had been on the control order since November 2005, Mr McNulty said.

"I am today informing parliament of an ongoing police operation to locate a foreign national who is believed to have absconded from his control order on the night of 18 June," said the minister.

"Locating this individual is an operational matter for the police, and an active investigation is under way.

"Control orders are not even our second - or third - best option for dealing with suspected terrorists. But under our existing laws, they are as far as we can go."

The controversial orders impose various restrictions, but suspects are allowed out of their homes for part of the day and are not under full "house arrest".

Last month, Scotland Yard revealed that terror suspects Lamine Adam, 26, his brother Ibrahim, 20, and Cerie Bullivant, 24, had failed to report to police.

Anthony Garcia, 25, a brother of the Adams, was jailed for life in April for his part in the "fertiliser bomb" plot to attack targets in London and across the UK.

Earlier this month, the Home Office was accused by opposition politicians of creating "utter chaos" after it emerged that police were not allowed to take fingerprints or DNA from terrorist suspects on control orders, even though police can store indefinitely the DNA of innocent people who are arrested but never charged, including children.

The loophole came to light more than two years after the government introduced the controversial measures and was only disclosed when home secretary John Reid announced plans to alter the legislation.

Mr McNulty said the latest man to flee was on an electronic tag, a 14-hour-a-day curfew, a requirement to remain within a restricted area and to reside at a specified address. He also had restrictions on his finances and communications.

The minister said: "They are the most stringent obligations we could impose in this individual's case.

"He was previously subject to stricter controls, but these had to be revised in light of last year's Court of Appeal judgment in this and other cases. Unfortunately, within these limits, it is very difficult to prevent determined individuals from absconding.

"I am already appealing to the House of Lords this and several other control order cases, concerning the interpretation of article five of the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR).

"We will consider other options - including derogation - if we have exhausted ways of overturning previous judgments on this issue."

Derogation - or opting out - of the ECHR would allow the Home Office to bring in a tougher form of control order which it has so far held back from introducing.

guardian.co.uk