SI
SI
discoversearch

We've detected that you're using an ad content blocking browser plug-in or feature. Ads provide a critical source of revenue to the continued operation of Silicon Investor.  We ask that you disable ad blocking while on Silicon Investor in the best interests of our community.  If you are not using an ad blocker but are still receiving this message, make sure your browser's tracking protection is set to the 'standard' level.
Politics : Liberalism: Do You Agree We've Had Enough of It? -- Ignore unavailable to you. Want to Upgrade?


To: Peter Dierks who wrote (13876)8/28/2007 9:26:55 AM
From: Ann Corrigan  Read Replies (1) | Respond to of 224718
 
What self-respecting American would ever watch the following yawn of a show?..crude-talking englishman Ramsay criticizes all Americans, when the US business he planned to ambush quickly returned fire:

>August 28, 2007

Gordon Ramsay Blasts 'Kitchen Nightmares' Lawsuit
By James Hibberd

“Hell’s Kitchen” star Gordon Ramsay broke his silence on a lawsuit accusing the perfectionist chef of faking scenes in a New York eatery for his upcoming reality show.

“I would never-ever-ever dream of setting anything up,” Mr. Ramsay said by phone from London on Friday. “I want to sleep at night. We were issued a writ because, God bless America, if the toilet paper is not thick enough and you come out with a rash on your ass [you’ll get sued].”

In his new show, “Kitchen Nightmares,” Mr. Ramsay visits struggling restaurants and tries to help owners turn around their businesses.

Manhattan restaurant manager Martin Hyde was fired during the filming of a “Nightmares” episode, then filed a $1 million lawsuit in U.S. District Court against Mr. Ramsay and the show’s producers in June. Mr. Hyde accused “Nightmares” of planting spoiled meat, fixing a chair to fall apart and hiring actors to pose as guests lending the appearance of a successful makeover. Earlier this month, a judge tossed the suit into arbitration.

“The idea of bringing moldy food in and planting actors is a f**king joke,” Mr. Ramsay said. “There’s a man who got very scared and very embarrassed about his lack of professionalism. For a man to waste lawyers’ time and taxpayers’ money to get upset about something you’re the cause of...”

The lawsuit said Mr. Hyde urged his boss to invite Mr. Ramsay’s “Nightmares” production to the restaurant, only to be singled out as a scapegoat by producers who needed a camera-ready villain for the show.

“[Mr. Hyde] wasn’t the one in charge of the kitchen,” said Mr. Hyde’s attorney, Carl Person. “The person responsible left the restaurant a week earlier. They’re going to make him appear he was the one in charge and he wasn’t. They’re setting him up.”

The New York lawsuit is similar to an allegation against the popular UK version of "Nightmares," where a restaurant went out of business after the show revealed rotting food in its kitchen. Mr. Ramsay won a lawsuit against a newspaper that claimed the show was staged.

“I don’t want to start that kind of bullshit over here,” he said. “You know it just scares me that litigation can just happen overnight, and then you’re on the defense.”

A crew member on the U.S. version of “Nightmares” previously told TelevisionWeek that restaurants aided on the show were “so disgusting, we didn’t need to do anything" for them to look bad. The source also said the production does help stock the restaurant with local patrons for some scenes, but “they weren’t told to lie about their experience, only to be entertaining for the camera: ‘If you like the food, then really like it. If you don’t, then really don’t.’”

Mr. Person said Mr. Ramsay “to some extent, may not know what’s going on” behind the scenes of his own show. He maintained much of the production is “showmanship” and that his client was unfairly targeted for humiliation.

“Trying to say I set up a wobbly chair,” Mr. Ramsay said, his voice full of disgust at the lawsuit. “This is supposed to be the most powerful nation in the world, not the most pathetic.”<